XR600SM

Anyone ever appeared personally at the embassy when getting the run-around?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee and I have been getting the run-around with the USEM since her originally scheduled interview on September 22nd. She was due to be here with me over a week ago, but instead I find myself calling the embassy over and over and getting no clear answer on what is going on and if they even have our petition. Has anyone personally appeared at the embassy when having these kinds of problems, and did it accomplish anything? I am very frustrated with the lack of response from the USEM and ready to jump on a plane if it will clear this up. :angry:

Filed: Country:
Timeline

How about posting a little more info?

Did she do to her interview on Sep 22?

If yes, what happened? What slip did she get?

Etc......

Maybe them someone else who had the same thing happen can help you.

Timeline

After 29 days in AP, our petition was finally sent to USEM on September 8th. She got a letter dated on the 17th that she was eligible to schedule her interview. In the meantime, I had already scheduled it for the 22nd. When she arrived on the 22nd, she was told to come back on the 25th because she was not in the system. On the 25th, she was interviewed but still no paperwork according to them. I had given her copies of everything submitted to the USCIS, so she submitted them to the CO but 2 pages of my divorce decree were missing. She was given the white slip requesting her to submit those 2 pages which both of us did and I have verified that that they were received.

I can get no clear answer to if they have our file from the NVC although it is my understanding that they only send out the letter when they receive the file. DHL tracking also implies that they did receive it. I can get no further information than to wait 6 weeks and highly suspect that they have lost the file but will not directly admit it. Our wedding date has already had to move twice, and this has literlally cost me thousands of dollars. My demands for expedite do to their incompetence have fallen and deaf ears, and I refuse to wait 6 weeks just to be told to wait 6 more weeks at that point. :angry:

Timeline

This is exactly why they tell you specifically NO NOT SCHEDULE ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE VISA IN HAND.

Call the State Department and/or your congressman.

BTW, request to expedite can only be approved for extreme hardship on the USC part and they won't consider "their incompetence" as such because you didn't follow the recommendation and scheduled things prior to having the Visa so from their point of view you have caused your own financial losses.

Timeline

Did she take her Medical at St. Luke ?? That is where she gives them her passport and documents and they send them over to the Embasy.

Just curious

Rosie and David

single 15 years married 5 months ....now I know what peaks and valleys are in life. LOVE my wife hehehe

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

USEM is regarded as one of the best-run posts in the consulate. Don't be too quick to judge. They are under no instruction to award visas in any kind of rush.

Of course for the last ten days, Manila has been a mess and it's surprising USEM can even function.

Timeline
This is exactly why they tell you specifically NO NOT SCHEDULE ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE VISA IN HAND.

Call the State Department and/or your congressman.

BTW, request to expedite can only be approved for extreme hardship on the USC part and they won't consider "their incompetence" as such because you didn't follow the recommendation and scheduled things prior to having the Visa so from their point of view you have caused your own financial losses.

There is most definitely an "expedite" if they screw up although it is not the same kind of expedite you are referring to here. I know this from first hand experience. As far as the not scheduling anything comment and causing my own financial losses, you are assuming way too much, and I do not care to reveal all the facets of my life in a public forum.

I've already called the DOS with little affect other than being treated very rudely and getting no further information. I have a feeling my congressman will not do anything in any reasonable timeframe.

The original question is has anyone been to the embassy in person and did it help move things along. That's why I did not give any other information originally, because I am not looking for advice on that. I've already read those threads and posted my own experiences in them as well.

Did she take her Medical at St. Luke ?? That is where she gives them her passport and documents and they send them over to the Embasy.

Just curious

Rosie and David

I am referring to the packet sent from the NVC. The medical exam was completed and passed on Sept 7-8th.

Timeline
There is most definitely an "expedite" if they screw up although it is not the same kind of expedite you are referring to here. I know this from first hand experience. As far as the not scheduling anything comment and causing my own financial losses, you are assuming way too much, and I do not care to reveal all the facets of my life in a public forum.

I've already called the DOS with little affect other than being treated very rudely and getting no further information. I have a feeling my congressman will not do anything in any reasonable timeframe.

The original question is has anyone been to the embassy in person and did it help move things along. That's why I did not give any other information originally, because I am not looking for advice on that. I've already read those threads and posted my own experiences in them as well.

You are assuming too much to jump to the conclusion that the USEM screwed-up. Are you aware of the recent flooding and such? It's quite possible that they simply have to work through a backlog.

You didn't mention that you've already called the DOS thus my suggestion. I wouldn't knock the congressman route until you've explored it as many have reported a lot of success getting something knocked loose through them, YMMV though.

Now regarding the "scheduling/financial losses" statement, I made no assumptions. I simply stated that they wouldn't accept being blamed for those extra expenses because the State Department, USEM etc have stated in many places that you shouldn't arrange travel etc until you actually have the Visa in hand so from their point of view you caused the loss not them.

FWIW, when asking how you should proceed next (which is what you are doing) it makes a lot of sense to list the steps you've already taken (such as called DOS) so that others won't suggest things you've already done.

Timeline
After 29 days in AP, our petition was finally sent to USEM on September 8th. She got a letter dated on the 17th that she was eligible to schedule her interview. In the meantime, I had already scheduled it for the 22nd. When she arrived on the 22nd, she was told to come back on the 25th because she was not in the system. On the 25th, she was interviewed but still no paperwork according to them. I had given her copies of everything submitted to the USCIS, so she submitted them to the CO but 2 pages of my divorce decree were missing. She was given the white slip requesting her to submit those 2 pages which both of us did and I have verified that that they were received.

I can get no clear answer to if they have our file from the NVC although it is my understanding that they only send out the letter when they receive the file. DHL tracking also implies that they did receive it. I can get no further information than to wait 6 weeks and highly suspect that they have lost the file but will not directly admit it. Our wedding date has already had to move twice, and this has literlally cost me thousands of dollars. My demands for expedite do to their incompetence have fallen and deaf ears, and I refuse to wait 6 weeks just to be told to wait 6 more weeks at that point. :angry:

Typically they don't let you set an appointment without being in the system. They wouldnt let me schedule my fiancee for an interview until they had the package from NVC. I called several times and they said "your file is here electronically but we have not received your actual package from NVC, on my last call the files arrived the day before and I was able to schedule.

Missing paperwork in my opinion the white slip delay was not the USEM's fault. My fiancee spoke to 2 ladies that just finished their interviews yesterday and got the pink with no run arounds whatsoever. So they seem to be organized.

Good luck I hope things work out and they correct whatever it is that's causing the delays.

Timeline

Have known each other and have been friends for 20+ Years.

May 18, 2009 - Mailed I-129F Package

May 19, 2009 - Receipt of Confirmation from USPS

May 22, 2009 - Check Cashed

May 23, 2009 - Received NOA1

May 23, 2009 - Signed up for E-mail updates on USCIS.gov website.

Aug 27, 2009 - Touched 1

Aug 27, 2009 - NOA-2 E-mail Received!

Sept 8, 2009 - NVC Received File - Was stuck in AP for 28 Days!

Oct 6, 2009 - NVC sent file to Manila - Thank GOD

Oct 9, 2009 - File in System at US. Embassy In Manila

Oct 15, 2009 - Information packet received by Beneficiary from Manila

Oct 14, 2009 - Advanced Medical Exam Passed

Nov 10, 2009 - Interview - Passed Thank GOD again.

Nov 17, 2009 - Visa received

Nov 17, 2009 - CFO Seminar

Nov 21, 2009 - returned to US with the Love of my life.

Dec 17th, 2009 - Wedding! Yahoo!

Jan 14th, 2010 - Mailed I-485 / 765 Package

Jan 21, 2010 - NOA1 for 485 / 765

Feb 17, 2010 - Biometrics

Mar 9, 2010 - EAD Card in Production

May 28, 2010 - Greencard Received!

Timeline

You are assuming too much to jump to the conclusion that the USEM screwed-up. Are you aware of the recent flooding and such? It's quite possible that they simply have to work through a backlog.

You didn't mention that you've already called the DOS thus my suggestion. I wouldn't knock the congressman route until you've explored it as many have reported a lot of success getting something knocked loose through them, YMMV though.

Now regarding the "scheduling/financial losses" statement, I made no assumptions. I simply stated that they wouldn't accept being blamed for those extra expenses because the State Department, USEM etc have stated in many places that you shouldn't arrange travel etc until you actually have the Visa in hand so from their point of view you caused the loss not them.

FWIW, when asking how you should proceed next (which is what you are doing) it makes a lot of sense to list the steps you've already taken (such as called DOS) so that others won't suggest things you've already done.

I'm well aware of the floods and sympathetic. I've spent a lot of time in the Philippines and follow the news daily. I was very relieved that my fiancee was able to leave Manila the day before the flooding began or would have been really upset if she had to stay even longer due to this and have gotten caught up in that mess.

I have not assumed that the USEM screwed up. NVC says that USEM has the file. DHL shows a package delivered. USEM implied that they can't find it. They signed for it, sent out the letter to schedule the interview, then claim they don't have it. How am I jumping to any conclusions?

I don't care whether they accept blame or not, the fact remains that they are to blame for "losing" the file. You assumed that I was referring to travel plans costing me thousands, therefore you did make assumptions. I only lost 2 cheap tickets to and from Manila that hardly count towards any of what I will be losing due to delays, but like I said, I do not care to get into my personal finances on this forum.

I had no need to discuss the specifics of my case because I only was asking if anyone has appeared in person and if it made a difference. I've already had the discussion about steps in the process in other posts. I don't want to sound like a don't appreciate advise, but this post was not meant to get any information other than what was specifically asked. My fiancee had copies of all the paperwork that also came to them via USCIS/NVC accept for 2 pages of a divorce decree (that was in the USCIS package). My K-1 would have never even made it to USEM without the divorce decree, especially after 29 days of AP at the NVC, so there really was no need for them not to interview and approve my fiancee on the 22nd other than not being able to locate our file. Normally in a situation like this, the case would be shuffled to the top of the pile.

Timeline

Typically they don't let you set an appointment without being in the system. They wouldnt let me schedule my fiancee for an interview until they had the package from NVC. I called several times and they said "your file is here electronically but we have not received your actual package from NVC, on my last call the files arrived the day before and I was able to schedule.

Missing paperwork in my opinion the white slip delay was not the USEM's fault. My fiancee spoke to 2 ladies that just finished their interviews yesterday and got the pink with no run arounds whatsoever. So they seem to be organized.

Good luck I hope things work out and they correct whatever it is that's causing the delays.

I went through the same process of not being able to schedule at first but then being able to schedule the appointment. Missing paperwork not their fault? The whole file went missing after arriving there. Who's fault is that? My fiancee provided duplicates of everything but 2 pages of a divorce decree she didn't have so that they could proceed with the interview anyway. This was all paperwork that they already had..........somewhere. I just want something to happen as it seems nothing is being done and there is no transparency. If flying there will make a difference, then I'll make that sacrafice. Just wanting to find out if someone has been there, done that, and had any success.

Filed: Timeline

You may be right on the way you feel....especially with some of the bureaucratic nightmares.

I am taking a different approach.....to my own reality

as long she get a VISA before the time we are READY to move into the SENIOR RETIREMENT HOME/Assisted Living community...

We should be OK....(i hear they have wild parties there)

I don't think there's anything you can do at this point. You are probably in AP hell for whatever reason. I know several people here who waited weeks after they submitted the requested documents.

Expedite due to their incompetence is not valid under their line of reasoning. You can try going there but I knw a couple here in VJ the USC was even in MNL and they were left in the dark until the visa was issued.

I'm sorry for your loss and for what you are going through. Hope things get better for you.

Timeline

I went through the same process of not being able to schedule at first but then being able to schedule the appointment. Missing paperwork not their fault? The whole file went missing after arriving there. Who's fault is that? My fiancee provided duplicates of everything but 2 pages of a divorce decree she didn't have so that they could proceed with the interview anyway. This was all paperwork that they already had..........somewhere. I just want something to happen as it seems nothing is being done and there is no transparency. If flying there will make a difference, then I'll make that sacrafice. Just wanting to find out if someone has been there, done that, and had any success.

I apologize I misread the the post..I thought you guys failed to submit the 2 pages. Sorry to hear they screwed the paperwork up.

Timeline

Have known each other and have been friends for 20+ Years.

May 18, 2009 - Mailed I-129F Package

May 19, 2009 - Receipt of Confirmation from USPS

May 22, 2009 - Check Cashed

May 23, 2009 - Received NOA1

May 23, 2009 - Signed up for E-mail updates on USCIS.gov website.

Aug 27, 2009 - Touched 1

Aug 27, 2009 - NOA-2 E-mail Received!

Sept 8, 2009 - NVC Received File - Was stuck in AP for 28 Days!

Oct 6, 2009 - NVC sent file to Manila - Thank GOD

Oct 9, 2009 - File in System at US. Embassy In Manila

Oct 15, 2009 - Information packet received by Beneficiary from Manila

Oct 14, 2009 - Advanced Medical Exam Passed

Nov 10, 2009 - Interview - Passed Thank GOD again.

Nov 17, 2009 - Visa received

Nov 17, 2009 - CFO Seminar

Nov 21, 2009 - returned to US with the Love of my life.

Dec 17th, 2009 - Wedding! Yahoo!

Jan 14th, 2010 - Mailed I-485 / 765 Package

Jan 21, 2010 - NOA1 for 485 / 765

Feb 17, 2010 - Biometrics

Mar 9, 2010 - EAD Card in Production

May 28, 2010 - Greencard Received!

Timeline

I apologize I misread the the post..I thought you guys failed to submit the 2 pages. Sorry to hear they screwed the paperwork up.

No problem.....thought you may have misread. Hopefully I'm not in AP hell yet again. I'm giving it another week before looking at flights there again.

Thanks tngirl21809.......I was told I could inquire at Window X when I am there, but that response did not give me much confidence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.