Dennis&Dane

Getting married twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27 posts in this topic

OK, We are planning to be married on December 18th (GOD Willing) and we get her visa in time... In Gatlinburg Tennessee. And we want to go back to the Philippines for another wedding ceremony after AOS. Hopefully Dec 18th 2010.

I know that being a K-1 recipient we must marry within 90 days of entry into the US.. and we have to have a legal Marriage licence.

We would also like to have a legal Philippine marriage licence as well.... is this at all possible?

Any thoughts, Facts?

Thanks.

D&D

hoping to be document qualified soon so we can get our interview date set....

all you have to do is report your marriage here at Philippine Consular Office since you're from TN your consular office will be in DC then your marriage will be listed at National Statistics Office in the Philippines too

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
And her wanting it is based upon the fact that in the PH there is "no Divorce" and I think she wants me to make that commitment to her..

no... I dont just think I know she wants me to make that commitment... LOL and I have no issues with that at all.. She is a special lady and I never plan to let her go anyway...

FWIW, regardless of the "No Divorce in the PH" you can always file for divorce in the US even with a PH Marriage. I married my wife in the PH but have the option as a US Citizen to file for divorce he in the US (Not that I am planning it or anything).

What you are wanting to do will involve being deceptive to both the US & PH governments. You will need a "Legal Capacity to Marry" from the USEM which requires you to swear under oath that you are currently unmarried and therefore legally able to get married. Signing the PH Application for marriage license also requires that you state you both are single and able to get married.

So yes you can probably get away with it but...

No it wouldn't be a legal PH marriage.

Just have a nice ceremony in the PH for her family there, register your US marriage with the PH Government.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
OK, We are planning to be married on December 18th (GOD Willing) and we get her visa in time... In Gatlinburg Tennessee. And we want to go back to the Philippines for another wedding ceremony after AOS. Hopefully Dec 18th 2010.

I know that being a K-1 recipient we must marry within 90 days of entry into the US.. and we have to have a legal Marriage licence.

We would also like to have a legal Philippine marriage licence as well.... is this at all possible?

Any thoughts, Facts?

Thanks.

D&D

hoping to be document qualified soon so we can get our interview date set....

hi just want to share that we did this too, got married here in the US last june 30, 2007 and also married in the Philippines last may 30,2008.We didnt file our wedding there at PI coz they'll be a problem with our wedding date.We reported our marriage here at LA Consulate, so it's already in NSO files and we can request for marriage license there.The wedding in PI was just a celebration and also for my family to witness our wedding because they didnt able to attend our wedding here in the US..Hope this help :luv:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Doesn't getting married in the US and then filing a Report of Marriage with the Philippine Embassy or Consulate have the same effect? A few months after you report tthe marriage, you should be able to request a copy of your Philippine marriage contract from NSO.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Doesn't getting married in the US and then filing a Report of Marriage with the Philippine Embassy or Consulate have the same effect? A few months after you report tthe marriage, you should be able to request a copy of your Philippine marriage contract from NSO.

It has the same Legal effect.. but its more an issue with with personal preference. Having a license that is signed by her priest and witnessed by her family is what we would like to have... but without scrapping an almost finished K-1 I cant seem to find a way to do that...

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-04-07

I-129F RFE(s) : Thanks to VJ NONE!!!!!

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-24

NVC Received : 2009-08-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-06 41 days of AP at NVC

Consulate Received : 2009-10-08

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-11-10

Visa Received : 2009-11-17

US Entry : 2009-11-21

Marriage : 2009-12-18 Married!!!!!!

Comments : INTERVIEW PASSED!!!!!!!!!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 139 days from your NOA1 date.

• 3 weeks later...

It has the same Legal effect.. but its more an issue with with personal preference. Having a license that is signed by her priest and witnessed by her family is what we would like to have... but without scrapping an almost finished K-1 I cant seem to find a way to do that...

It appears she is putting a little bit too much faith in a Phil Marriage Lic. I think if you explained it at the Embassy and say you want the LC2M I think they would give it to you. You can marry your wife as many times as you want and there is nothing illegal about it as long as you are honest. You can then get the Marriage lic and have it in hand and filled out by the Priest and Sponsors. She does realize that she will be filling a document with her gov that says she is not married to get the Marriage Lic. If she does this it could be construed that you did not have a bona fide marriage in the US and you just did it for visa. You can instruct the Priest / Church to not file the Lic with the NSO and it will never be recorded there but you will have that priceless Lic your Wife wants. If she wants an NSO certified copy I don't know as the church would have to file the actual marriage lic after the wedding to get that. If you do not notify the NSO of the marriage in US then it would probably go through but you would have a different Marriage date on file.

It sounds like your wife to be really does not understand all the implications. Should not the marriage be about you and her and making your oath to God? You need to ask her if she will honor and accept the marriage if you have it in the US? If not then you need to change your plans as the commitment you are making may not mean the same to her as the one you are making. Anyway that is my 2 cents.

Timeline

It appears she is putting a little bit too much faith in a Phil Marriage Lic. I think if you explained it at the Embassy and say you want the LC2M I think they would give it to you. You can marry your wife as many times as you want and there is nothing illegal about it as long as you are honest. You can then get the Marriage lic and have it in hand and filled out by the Priest and Sponsors. She does realize that she will be filling a document with her gov that says she is not married to get the Marriage Lic. If she does this it could be construed that you did not have a bona fide marriage in the US and you just did it for visa. You can instruct the Priest / Church to not file the Lic with the NSO and it will never be recorded there but you will have that priceless Lic your Wife wants. If she wants an NSO certified copy I don't know as the church would have to file the actual marriage lic after the wedding to get that. If you do not notify the NSO of the marriage in US then it would probably go through but you would have a different Marriage date on file.

It sounds like your wife to be really does not understand all the implications. Should not the marriage be about you and her and making your oath to God? You need to ask her if she will honor and accept the marriage if you have it in the US? If not then you need to change your plans as the commitment you are making may not mean the same to her as the one you are making. Anyway that is my 2 cents.

Well since the time I oroginally started this.. she and I have talked this out and she now understands that once we register our marriage with the phillipine embassy here in the US then our marriage will then be recognized there as well.. and she is good with that..

btw thanks for your input.. and I totally agree!

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-04-07

I-129F RFE(s) : Thanks to VJ NONE!!!!!

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-24

NVC Received : 2009-08-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-06 41 days of AP at NVC

Consulate Received : 2009-10-08

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-11-10

Visa Received : 2009-11-17

US Entry : 2009-11-21

Marriage : 2009-12-18 Married!!!!!!

Comments : INTERVIEW PASSED!!!!!!!!!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 139 days from your NOA1 date.

Timeline
... but its more an issue with with personal preference. Having a license that is signed by her priest and witnessed by her family is what we would like to have... but without scrapping an almost finished K-1 I cant seem to find a way to do that...

However, if your wife (to be) is Catholic, to receive the Sacrament of Marriage, there are still some hoops through which you must jump. And, if you are not also Catholic, there are even more hoops.

My wife and I are Catholic and are planning our church wedding in the Philippines also.

I have the list of requirements we got from the church. But, I'm sorry I don't have it at hand. I'll look for it and post the details in a bit.

K-1

08/00/04 - Introduction, 08/02/05 - First visit, 06/29/06 - Second visit, 07/10/06 - Engaged

08/10/06 - I-129F mailed USPS

08/18/06 - NOA1 approved, 10/18/06 - NOA2 approved

10/30/06 - NVC MNL# 2006800XXX

11/03/06 - NVC letter received, 11/14/06 - USE received, 12/08/06 - Pre-interview Letter

03/08/07 - Interview - APPROVED

05/19/07 - POE Honolulu

06/28/07 - Wedding

AOS

08/17/07 - AOS, AP & EAD filed

10/09/07 - Biometrics, 10/25/07 - RFE received, 11/05/07 - AP APPROVED, 11/13/07 - AP received

11/08/07 - EAD card in production, 11/16/07 - EAD received

01/24/08 - Interview - APPROVED

ROC

11/06/09 - I-751 mailed to California Service Center

11/09/09 - NOA1 Date, 11/13/09 - check cleared, 12/16/09 - Biometrics

12/28/09 - Card production ordered - received 01/04/10

Citizenship

03/22/11 - N-400 filed

03/25/11 - Item delivered AZ via USPS Priority Mail, 10:15 am

04/20/11 - Biometrics

06/14/11 - Interview -Approved

07/05/11 - Oath Ceremony

And her wanting it is based upon the fact that in the PH there is "no Divorce" and I think she wants me to make that commitment to her..

when you get married in the US you will be married in the Philippines too. For the divorce thing you could still get a divorce from her as well as her in the US. But that divorce wont be recognized in the PH. You can then get married but she cant because there is no divorce in the PH. She can remarry in the US but she can get into some trouble if she goes back to the PH.

There is a law in the PH that say that if a foreigner gets married to a Filipino and the foreigner gets a divorce thereafter they will except the divorce. Allowing the Filipino to remarry to.

But there is lots of things to do and money to spend on the Filipinos behalf.

Under the Family Code Article 26

As for the marriage once you get married you can call the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC and ask them were to send a copy of the marriage certificate.

Her intention that you should make a "no divorce" commitment to her might just cause her the problem in the future and not on your part being an American citizen. But if you think she'll be happy with that and that's what you wanted her to be, just go and get married in the Philippines as if you have not been married before. I think there will be no problem at all, not unless you both decided to get separated in the future. :bonk: Try reading this case..

Church wedding are sometimes called a renewal of vows (no legal effect). Being legally married in the Philippines is a different story.

Edited by danvil101

06-19-2008 : Filed I-130

06-24-2008 : NOA 1

04-00-2009 : Wife became USC

09-30-2009 : NOA 2

10-19-2009 : Paid AoS bill

10-29-2009 : DS-3032 submitted

10-30-2009 : I-864 submitted

11-14-2009 : IV bill received

11-19-2009 : IV bill paid

11-25-2009 : DS-230 sent (from SA)

12-03-2009 : DS-230 received by NVC

12-13-2009 : Log in failed. Yes!

12-14-2009 :Case complete. Oh yes!

12-15-2009 : Appointment letter received.

01-10-2010 : Medical exam

01-30-2010 : Interview date at US Embassy - Riyadh! Approved!

02-02-2010 : Visa on hand! :)

12-19-2011 : I-751 Receipt Notice

02-08-2012 : Biometrics appointment

Well since the time I oroginally started this.. she and I have talked this out and she now understands that once we register our marriage with the phillipine embassy here in the US then our marriage will then be recognized there as well.. and she is good with that..

Glad to hear you worked it out. In my case I am going back to the Phil next year to have a renewing of vows and the whole big church thing. It means a lot to the woman ( they typically only get married once and want to have some large ceremony with the family) but I think most of us guys look at it as a big drain of funds that could be used for other things that are more practical.

Wish someone would start a thread on getting married in Manila as it is expensive to get married there even if you are already married ha.

Timeline
However, if your wife (to be) is Catholic, to receive the Sacrament of Marriage, there are still some hoops through which you must jump. And, if you are not also Catholic, there are even more hoops.

This came from our area's Bishop's office. I suppose, other Bishops may have a slightly different checklist.

Checklist of Documents:

-Groom's Baptismal Certificate or its equivalent if non-Catholic.

-Bride's Baptismal Certificate or its equivalent if non-Catholic.

(The baptism certificates must be newly issued - at most, five months prior to the wedding date and with the annotation: "for marriage purposes")

-Groom's Confirmation Certificate

-Bride's Confirmation Certificate

-Death Certificate of former spouses (if applicable.)

-Church Declaration of Marriage Nullity and/or Civil Decree of Dissolution of Marriage and/or Civil Decree of Nullity of Marriage (if applicable.)

-Legal Capacity to Marry from the Embassy (if one of the parties is an alien.)

-Marriage License or Civil Marriage Contract or Affidavit of Cohabitation

-Written permission from the proper parish priest (if the wedding is to be celebrated in a parish other than the parties' proper parishes.)

-Pre-Cana Seminar Certificate of Attendance

-Endorsement Letter from the parish priest where the marriage is to be celebrated regarding the parties' petition for Dispensation of Banns and/or Permission for Mixed Marriage (if applicable.)

-Proof of Banna or Dispensation of Banns

-Cautiones (if one of the parties is non-Catholic.)

-Permission for Mixed Marriage (if one of the parties is non-Catholic.)

We also were told to add to the checklist, but I do not recall what it is nor where we get it:

-Nihil Obstat

Other Requisites

-Pre-Nuptial Canonical Interview

-Pre-Cana Seminar

-The Sacrament of Reconciliation

Edited by Patrick808

K-1

08/00/04 - Introduction, 08/02/05 - First visit, 06/29/06 - Second visit, 07/10/06 - Engaged

08/10/06 - I-129F mailed USPS

08/18/06 - NOA1 approved, 10/18/06 - NOA2 approved

10/30/06 - NVC MNL# 2006800XXX

11/03/06 - NVC letter received, 11/14/06 - USE received, 12/08/06 - Pre-interview Letter

03/08/07 - Interview - APPROVED

05/19/07 - POE Honolulu

06/28/07 - Wedding

AOS

08/17/07 - AOS, AP & EAD filed

10/09/07 - Biometrics, 10/25/07 - RFE received, 11/05/07 - AP APPROVED, 11/13/07 - AP received

11/08/07 - EAD card in production, 11/16/07 - EAD received

01/24/08 - Interview - APPROVED

ROC

11/06/09 - I-751 mailed to California Service Center

11/09/09 - NOA1 Date, 11/13/09 - check cleared, 12/16/09 - Biometrics

12/28/09 - Card production ordered - received 01/04/10

Citizenship

03/22/11 - N-400 filed

03/25/11 - Item delivered AZ via USPS Priority Mail, 10:15 am

04/20/11 - Biometrics

06/14/11 - Interview -Approved

07/05/11 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Glad to hear you went this way.

We couldn't get a Catholic Priest to do a non-official wedding in her city. We went to a bunch of them and they all said the same thing. We had not applied for the K-1 visa yet and told them that was our intention. To do the official marriage in the USA. But I lived three months with her in the Philippines beforehand.

So we wanted to live together without the neighborhood being all abuzz that we weren't married in the eyes of God. So we went to three priests. Of the Catholic superstition. Nothing against superstitions in general. Just labellling accurately.

And all of them said no. I can't say there aren't any priests that will "marry" fiance's and have them still be legally fiance's - but we went to three. They would do official wedding ceremonies only, with signing of licenses, which we were not going to do on account of it would require us to lie on the k-1 visa. We weren't going to do that.

Sounds like BRB is getting more or less the same thing done that we wanted to do - an unofficial wedding but in a church. But his is after-the-fact and maybe that matters in this particular superstition. Is it the sex before official marriage that's the problem?

So... since three Priests in a row said no, we had our own Visayan ceremony with her father officiating. In Visayan form and language. But not in a church.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.