Gary_UK

Need to leave the US after entry on K1 due to death in the family.

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
Don't get married yet (you can still do the ceremony and have the party if you must but leave the legal parts out). Then you can contact your consulate and explain you are not married yet but your mom died. Ask if you can fly back for the service and get a recertified visa to come to your fiance here and get married.

don't think it's that easy.... K-1 objective is to get married in the US..... you have to complete the objective....

Never said it was easy but others here have done it. Also, others have gotten married and wanted to go back for an emergency and failed to get it approved.

Idea is to not be already married when you ask.

logically speaking, it's better to marry, file Adjustment of status with AP and EAD, while these are PENDING, then you can ask them to expedite the AP, because they already have you in the system.

i don't know, i am not a professional, im just saying...

I'm not a pro at this either but the OP has a time crunch issue that prevents all the filing etc.

GOOD LUCK and report back!

moving right along

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi guys.

Sorry if this is sometning thats covered elsewhere but i need your help. and to be honest my head isnt in a good place right now due to a death in the family today.

I entered on a K1 on Oct 3rd and believe it or not am getting married tomorrow. But got some bad news that my mother passed away this morning. If anyone can give me numbers, processes or who i need to talk to to somehow get a special dispensation to allow me to fly back to the uk and attend her funeral I would be greatly appreciated.

Currently im not bothered with costs or the whos whats wheres or hows but if somone can point me to a simple straight forward guide to follow to start the procedure to get a special waiver would be a massive help.

Thank you in advance and appologise if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

I will check back here asap.

Thank you all in advance if you can help me with this.

Gary.

My condolence goes out to you and your family. Call USCIS and then the embassy that granted your visa, tomorrow. Give detailed reason as to your situation re "death." You entered US soil on a K1 visa (Fiance type) and havent married yet, therefore your status remains the same. If you plan to go back home for your mom's service; do not get married, until you hear from the relevant authorities.

JNR

Don't get married yet (you can still do the ceremony and have the party if you must but leave the legal parts out). Then you can contact your consulate and explain you are not married yet but your mom died. Ask if you can fly back for the service and get a recertified visa to come to your fiance here and get married.

don't think it's that easy.... K-1 objective is to get married in the US..... you have to complete the objective....

Entered October 3 thats only 13 days ago still have 77 days to marry, best thing don't get married and try for a recertified visa, I would be on the phone to the embassy and see if that is a possibility, get it confirmed and go. Plenty of time to come back and marry within the Oct3 +90 days timeframe.

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

I am sorry for your loss. Right now you may feel overwhelmed, but it will get better once you realize that dying is a natural part of life and that one cannot change past events, only one's own reactions to them. It's the Buddhist way.

I haven't been in Europe since 1994. Both my parents passed, and I had no chance to say goodbye. But when they were still alive, we talked quite often and agreed on how meaningful it is to keep contact, and how meaningless it is to attend a funeral. I wrote an Eulogy for both my parents and my daughter read it at their funeral.

in my not so humble opinion, there's no merit in jeopardizing one's future in order to attend a funeral. Very soon you will be able to travel to The Kingdom and take care of things at your own pace. It won't make any difference to you mom anymore, so don't lose your head over it when dealing with the emotional paint.

Again, my deepest sympathy to you.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Hi guys.

Sorry if this is sometning thats covered elsewhere but i need your help. and to be honest my head isnt in a good place right now due to a death in the family today.

I entered on a K1 on Oct 3rd and believe it or not am getting married tomorrow. But got some bad news that my mother passed away this morning. If anyone can give me numbers, processes or who i need to talk to to somehow get a special dispensation to allow me to fly back to the uk and attend her funeral I would be greatly appreciated.

Currently im not bothered with costs or the whos whats wheres or hows but if somone can point me to a simple straight forward guide to follow to start the procedure to get a special waiver would be a massive help.

Thank you in advance and appologise if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

I will check back here asap.

Thank you all in advance if you can help me with this.

Gary.

First, very sorry for your loss.

Secondly, here is a thread on emergency AP http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59963. The thing is that the OP had already applied for AOS.

There is also this: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Advance_Parole

and this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=216607

In my humble opinion, make your infopass appointment, take the i-131 document, $305 and evidence of your mom's passing to the appt, and see what happens. They can advise you further, I'm sure, if anything else is required.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

From Visa Journey Moderation: Our condolences for your loss.

The best advice follows from: john_and_marlene and payxibka.

You may want to call the issuing US Embassy/Consulate and seek guidance ASAP. Specifically, seek assurance that they will re-validate your visa, given the extraordinary circumstances. This surmises of course, that you will postpone your imminent marriage until your return to the States.

All the best.

VJ Moderation.

You didn't mention if your wife-to-be is flying back with you. If she isn't, then she could mail on the AP if it can't be issued immediately.

Bad advice. If you exit the U.S. before the AP is issued, it can't be used for reentry.

The only timely option is to not get married tomorrow and try for the revalidation of the K1

exactly, AP is to preserve one's entry status in the USA... if you leave BEFORE AP is approved, then there is no longer any status for AP to preserve because status would expire the moment you leave the country...

Edited by William33

From VJ FAQs

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-enter.html

5.13)...My fiance had to return home because of a family emergency just a couple weeks after arriving. Do we have to go through this entire process again in order for him to come back to the US?

A...Hopefully not. A K1 visa may be re-validated by the Consulate if the fiance is not yet married. The re-validated visa will still expire the same date as the original, and you must be married and file for Adjustment 90 days from the original first entry. As part of this process, you will probably fill out another OF-156 non-immigrant visa application and pay another visa application fee.

FAQ Note: Revalidating a K1 has been done only once in the newsgroup experience, early in 2000. The Consulate was unwilling to cooperate, and help from the US Citizens Congressional Representative was required to achieve success. The Representatives office contacted the State Department to verify the situation regarding revalidation. Correspondence between the Representatives office and the Consulate helped assure the revalidation. The revalidation process took about two weeks. 
back

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
From VJ FAQs

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-enter.html

5.13)...My fiance had to return home because of a family emergency just a couple weeks after arriving. Do we have to go through this entire process again in order for him to come back to the US?

A...Hopefully not. A K1 visa may be re-validated by the Consulate if the fiance is not yet married. The re-validated visa will still expire the same date as the original, and you must be married and file for Adjustment 90 days from the original first entry. As part of this process, you will probably fill out another OF-156 non-immigrant visa application and pay another visa application fee.

FAQ Note: Revalidating a K1 has been done only once in the newsgroup experience, early in 2000. The Consulate was unwilling to cooperate, and help from the US Citizens Congressional Representative was required to achieve success. The Representatives office contacted the State Department to verify the situation regarding revalidation. Correspondence between the Representatives office and the Consulate helped assure the revalidation. The revalidation process took about two weeks. 
back

That FAQ note is about 5-6 years old right? I have read others here that did it but only if they were not married already.

moving right along

All:

Let's not speculate further and spare the OP any further anguish. He has an opportunity to make contact with the Visa issuing Embassy/Consulate for further guidance on a re-issue. Perhaps he will post the results for our edification.

Regards,

VJ Moderation.

The assumption of getting married tomorrow, is that one can put in the AoS paperwork at the Infopass appointment. That means the AP can be applied for, and the people at Infopass would be able to act on the request at that stage.

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

The assumption of getting married tomorrow, is that one can put in the AoS paperwork at the Infopass appointment. That means the AP can be applied for, and the people at Infopass would be able to act on the request at that stage.

Very unlikely outcome mate. The Op should go with the above advice for a Visa Re-issue, as stated before.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Easier said than done. Locally filed I-485's have not been accepted for many years...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, this scenario is an immigrants nightmare. I hope you find an answer and my thoughts and condolences to you

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.