Gary_UK

Need to leave the US after entry on K1 due to death in the family.

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys.

Sorry if this is sometning thats covered elsewhere but i need your help. and to be honest my head isnt in a good place right now due to a death in the family today.

I entered on a K1 on Oct 3rd and believe it or not am getting married tomorrow. But got some bad news that my mother passed away this morning. If anyone can give me numbers, processes or who i need to talk to to somehow get a special dispensation to allow me to fly back to the uk and attend her funeral I would be greatly appreciated.

Currently im not bothered with costs or the whos whats wheres or hows but if somone can point me to a simple straight forward guide to follow to start the procedure to get a special waiver would be a massive help.

Thank you in advance and appologise if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

I will check back here asap.

Thank you all in advance if you can help me with this.

Gary.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

i'm not sure about anything that will help you with this matter, but i just wanted to say that i am sorry for your loss.

with sympathy.

Brianna Y Alejandro

Alejandro EWI - Sept 2004

We met at work - Oct 2007

We were dating - March 2008

Alejandro left for MX - Sept 2008

Brianna left for MX - Dec 26, 2008

Alejandro proposed - January 3, 2009

Brianna returned to US - January 8, 2009

Mailed I-129F Package to CA - May 7, 2009

CSC recieved I-129F package - May 11, 2009

Recieved Certified Mail Receipt - May 18, 2009

Check cashed for I-129F - May 20, 2009

Recieved NOA1 I-797 - May 23, 2009

Brianna left for MX - May 23, 2009

Brianna returned to US - June 2, 2009

Recieved NOA2 via email - Aug 17, 2009

Recieved letter stating NVC will forward to CDJ - Aug 28, 2009

CDJ recieved approved petition - Aug 26, 2009

Brianna in MX -Sept 10, 2009 - Sept 29, 2009

Recieved open appt. letter - Oct 13, 2009

Brianna and Alex meeting in CDJ - Nov 16, 2009

Medical - Nov 17, 2009

K-1 Interview - Nov 18, 2009

Eligible for Waiver - Nov, 18, 2009

WAIVER APPOINTMENT - JAN 25, 2010

Am terribly sorry for your loss...

To be perfectly honest - I think your best bet could possibly be to contact the US Embassy in London (or your USC fiancé/spouse) to see if they will be willing to revalidate the K1 visa for another entry. You should check this out BEFORE you get married. Personally I think that's your only best hope to do something quickly. (This is not something that they might ordinarily do, but I don't think it is beyond their ability if presented with the situation.)

Filing AOS and getting an infopass appointment to get emergency AP seems like would take an eternity (or too long in other words).

Edited by Otto und Karin

My condolences to you and your family. I am sure there is something in place for a situation like this. Call the US Embassy in London and also your local office until you get a good response.

I still claim it in the name of the Empire

Maybe do a walkin to your local office if you live near one, people do it for biometrics all the time....explain the situation and see what you may be able to do.

(F) I'm sorry to hear of your loss and wish you the best in this time of trial

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm assuming from the tone of your post that you're going ahead with the wedding tomorrow. This means that the US Embassy in London can't revalidate the K1 visa, as your marital status will have changed.

Your best bet at this stage is to contact Infopass and ask them if they can give you an Advance Parole document or, at minimum, a covering letter. You didn't mention if your wife-to-be is flying back with you. If she isn't, then she could mail on the AP if it can't be issued immediately.

To save you looking it up, here's the link for Infopass .. https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php

I wish you the best in getting this sorted.!

EDIT: Infopass will almost certainly ask for some kind of evidence, so if your family have registered the death and you can have them email or fax a copy of the certificate ... or a letter from her GP or a hospital, it will make the process a little faster.

Edited by Brit Abroad

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm assuming from the tone of your post that you're going ahead with the wedding tomorrow. This means that the US Embassy in London can't revalidate the K1 visa, as your marital status will have changed.

Your best bet at this stage is to contact Infopass and ask them if they can give you an Advance Parole document or, at minimum, a covering letter. You didn't mention if your wife-to-be is flying back with you. If she isn't, then she could mail on the AP if it can't be issued immediately.

To save you looking it up, here's the link for Infopass .. https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php

I wish you the best in getting this sorted.!

EDIT: Infopass will almost certainly ask for some kind of evidence, so if your family have registered the death and you can have them email or fax a copy of the certificate ... or a letter from her GP or a hospital, it will make the process a little faster.

Adjustment of Status (I-485) needs to be filed with the USCIS before Advance Parole can be granted....

YMMV

You didn't mention if your wife-to-be is flying back with you. If she isn't, then she could mail on the AP if it can't be issued immediately.

Bad advice. If you exit the U.S. before the AP is issued, it can't be used for reentry.

The only timely option is to not get married tomorrow and try for the revalidation of the K1

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
You didn't mention if your wife-to-be is flying back with you. If she isn't, then she could mail on the AP if it can't be issued immediately.

Bad advice. If you exit the U.S. before the AP is issued, it can't be used for reentry.

The only timely option is to not get married tomorrow and try for the revalidation of the K1

exactly, AP is to preserve one's entry status in the USA... if you leave BEFORE AP is approved, then there is no longer any status for AP to preserve because status would expire the moment you leave the country...

YMMV

I can't imagine any worse of a nightmare right now. My heart and prayers absolutely go out to you.

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Don't get married yet (you can still do the ceremony and have the party if you must but leave the legal parts out). Then you can contact your consulate and explain you are not married yet but your mom died. Ask if you can fly back for the service and get a recertified visa to come to your fiance here and get married.

moving right along

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Don't get married yet (you can still do the ceremony and have the party if you must but leave the legal parts out). Then you can contact your consulate and explain you are not married yet but your mom died. Ask if you can fly back for the service and get a recertified visa to come to your fiance here and get married.

don't think it's that easy.... K-1 objective is to get married in the US..... you have to complete the objective....

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

don't think it's that easy.... K-1 objective is to get married in the US..... you have to complete the objective....

Never said it was easy but others here have done it. Also, others have gotten married and wanted to go back for an emergency and failed to get it approved.

Idea is to not be already married when you ask.

moving right along

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Never said it was easy but others here have done it. Also, others have gotten married and wanted to go back for an emergency and failed to get it approved.

Idea is to not be already married when you ask.

logically speaking, it's better to marry, file Adjustment of status with AP and EAD, while these are PENDING, then you can ask them to expedite the AP, because they already have you in the system.

i don't know, i am not a professional, im just saying...

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.