drivers license

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Hey

I am from Canada, and my fiance lives in NY... I only have a G2 license, does anyone know if i could transfer my license over when i move to the states, or do i have to take a written test to get a NY driving license

thank you in advance

You might want to move this to a different section in VJ, but my guess is that you have to apply for a new NY liscense. As a new US resident, you might even have to take the behind-the-wheel test like my husband but it also depends on the state.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You might want to take a look at this if you haven't already: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving

Many states consider an Ontario G2 equivalent to a full license and I believe NY lets you switch your G2 to a full license but I'm not 100% sure.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im in nebraska and they let me change my G2 to a full license here, you should call them to make sure tho, thats what i did. They only made me take a 25 question test as it was part of canadas agreement with america to transfer a license over fully. ( or so i was told? not sure how true of a statement that is but the DMV people said so lol )

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm pretty sure they would just switch your G2 license to a NYS license. I live in NY, but I had a G so I'm not sure.

Edited to add: Also, my thoughts to you is to wait until you get your EAD card to go get it because with the I-94 they put a temporary visitor restriction on it that expires with your I-94. Then you have to update it when you get an EAD, and then update it again when you get a Greencard. Each change is $12, so it's worth it to wait if you can.

Edited by SapphireDreams

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Mary and Jim,

I too am a Canadian (formerly Ontario, G2 Level) and have my US (New York State, D Class no restrictions) driver's license.

And this is how I got the following:

-Before I got my 2yr Green Card, I just drove with my Canadian Driver's License, as it was still valid and I wasn't legally a US Resident yet until after I got my US green card. But after I got my green card.....

-2006-11: Got my 2yr US Green Card (based on AOS from Visitor's Visa)

-2007-01: SSN Card Received (delayed due to immigration status verification)

-2007-01: Then I got an application from the DMV for my NYS driver's license, and got my NYS license afterwards.

-Went to the DMV with the following identification and residency proof: SSN Card, US 2yr Green Card/I-551, US Marriage Certificate, Utility Bill

-As well, I went with my Canadian (Ontario, G2 Level) Driver's license, as I was going to "directly transfer" my Canadian Driver's license for a US one, with no further testing required for people who have Canadian driver's licenses. I didn't have to do the written or the road tests, and only did an easy eye test, which I passed. They did though take my Canadian driver's license away, since I was exchanging it for a US one (lol..I don't need two driver's licenses anyways, especially a former Canadian one that was in my maiden last name).

And 10 minutes later....-I got my NYS temporary paper license

-I got the actual NYS Driver's license card (D Class with no restrictions, in my married last name) in the mail 1-2 weeks afterwards...

-My NYS driver's license is valid for 5 years....(lol..longer than my 2yr green card...go figure...)

-Overall, I found the NYS DMV to be quite nice and helpful....The best government agency here in the USA, in my opinion!....

Other useful links for you in obtaining a NYS driver's license:

-Application for NYS driver's licence that you can fill out, print, and bring to you when you go to the DMV:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv44.pdf

-Proof of Identification and NYS residency that you can print out here and bring to you when you go to the DMV:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44.pdf

As well, after I get US Citizenship (hopefully by the end of 2009), I will also apply for an " NYS Enhanced Driver's License", which is good for travel as identification (in lieu of a passport) for US Citizens for land trips across the border to Canada.

Lol...I don't understand why Ontario had that graduated licensing thing anyways...waste of time and money, indeed! Sigh, wish I could have got my license here in NYS in the first place instead of Ontario! Oh well no worries about that now, and thank goodness I skipped the G level in Ontario. Seriously, the MTO could learn a thing or two from the DMV here! Lol..G2 restricted level in Ontario= Full/Unrestricted level in NYS...makes no sense...

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your immigration and DMV journeys too.

Ant

P.S. What a co-incidence too, that like me, your local office is in Buffalo, NY, and that you're a Canadian too (which is quite rare...think you're the only other one here)! Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that too.

Hey

I am from Canada, and my fiance lives in NY... I only have a G2 license, does anyone know if i could transfer my license over when i move to the states, or do i have to take a written test to get a NY driving license

thank you in advance

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.