Briansok

met a girl on a tourist visa

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You can marry. These people didn't follow this route. They most likely followed the K-1 route, which is the route to take. However, marrying right here isn't illegal. I could be wrong tho, my major wasn't legal studies. :)

On the other hand, this is a nice example of what you may face if you go that route. So, be advised.

Edited by Kittyfang

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
You can marry. These people didn't follow this route. They most likely followed the K-1 route, which is the route to take. However, marrying right here isn't illegal. I could be wrong tho, my major wasn't legal studies. :)

WRONG.

Treble married here and filed for AOS, see that's not our issue with you. :)

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Timeline

To the OP: can you? yes of course. should you? depends on you and how much you are certain to marry this lady. I would hate for you or anyone to get hurt by a scammer, and sadly, there are many. Please read the guides and ask as many questions as you need

p.s. It is against the Terms of Service of this site to give advise on how to circumvent, evade, or trick US immigration law.

Timeline

WRONG.

Which is my point. People can come here, as visitor, and marry. That is not illegal.

To the OP: can you? yes of course. should you? depends on you and how much you are certain to marry this lady. I would hate for you or anyone to get hurt by a scammer, and sadly, there are many. Please read the guides and ask as many questions as you need

p.s. It is against the Terms of Service of this site to give advise on how to circumvent, evade, or trick US immigration law.

Agree 100%. and I didn't do that.

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Timeline

WRONG.

Which is my point. People can come here, as visitor, and marry. That is not illegal.

But overstaying is.

You are an illegal.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

WRONG.

But overstaying is.

You are an illegal.

You wanna come over and try to drag me to the border? I never said I wasn't. I don't get the point of the constant bashing.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline
Indeed, people can come here and get married. And then go home and petition for a visa. Doing other wise is breaking immigration laws of this country.

More power to them and that is what they should do. I never said otherwise. Just said they can marry if they want. :thumbs:

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Filed: Timeline
Indeed, people can come here and get married. And then go home and petition for a visa. Doing other wise is breaking immigration laws of this country.

More power to them and that is what they should do. I never said otherwise. Just said they can marry if they want. :thumbs:

You are not doing the OP any favors by confusing him with you lack of knowledge of the law, which is what has gotten you to the situation you find yourself in. Nothing personal -I mean it- but please refrain from advertising your case as the legal way, or as the "romantic way of keeping lovebirds together". Seriously.

Timeline

Please watch the racial sterotyping and please be sure that you are giving appropriate information. Visa Journey does not condone illegal immigration activity. It is illegal to enter the US with the intent to marry and apply for AOS without the appropriate visa. It is legal to to apply to adjust status if the individual is already in the US and they marry having entered with no intent to marry, but that does not mean there is no intent to commit fraud.

I will also suggest that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones and should especially be more considerate of those who have chosen the legal route of obtaining a visa first and then entering the US. Please try to be sensitive to everyone's individual circumstances, especially when your own is on shaky ground.

To the OP: if you met this individual in the US and she is here legally and you decide to marry, she is allowed to apply to adjust status from within the US. Please be aware that this 'short-cut' is not well received by those who take the time to obtain the proper visa to come to the US and get married.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Please watch the racial sterotyping and please be sure that you are giving appropriate information. Visa Journey does not condone illegal immigration activity. It is illegal to enter the US with the intent to marry and apply for AOS without the appropriate visa. It is legal to to apply to adjust status if the individual is already in the US and they marry having entered with no intent to marry, but that does not mean there is no intent to commit fraud.

I will also suggest that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones and should especially be more considerate of those who have chosen the legal route of obtaining a visa first and then entering the US. Please try to be sensitive to everyone's individual circumstances, especially when your own is on shaky ground.

To the OP: if you met this individual in the US and she is here legally and you decide to marry, she is allowed to apply to adjust status from within the US. Please be aware that this 'short-cut' is not well received by those who take the time to obtain the proper visa to come to the US and get married.

Couldn't have said it better myself. For my defense, I never "advertised" my route. I simply answered his question. Can he marry her? Yes.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

WRONG.

But overstaying is.

You are an illegal.

You wanna come over and try to drag me to the border? I never said I wasn't. I don't get the point of the constant bashing.

Wouldn't waste my time on it. Believe me, you'll get your day.

I have no problems with someone who comes here and marries and then files... so don't speak for "certain people" it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with YOU overstaying, acting like a ####### about overstaying and pretty much asking people on this site for justification for what you did.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

WRONG.

But overstaying is.

You are an illegal.

Wouldn't waste my time on it. Believe me, you'll get your day.

I have no problems with someone who comes here and marries and then files... so don't speak for "certain people" it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with YOU overstaying, acting like a ####### about overstaying and pretty much asking people on this site for justification for what you did.

Well, I'm not asking for justification. Justification wouldn't change anything to the situation. I'm asking questions about forms and about other people's experiences.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

Other poeple's experiences on doing the process illegally?

And what I did is completely different than what you did. I didn't wait 2.5 years to file AOS after I'd married my husband. We married and I had my petition in in a matter of a week. I was never an overstay.

It doesn't matter any ways. Any one who stays illegally in a country and can't work, can't get an SSN, can't get a Driver's License, can't get a bank account, can't LIVE life is just silly any ways.

You are just that, Kittyfang, you are silly and you can't take a hint. If you want to come here and ask your silly questions, in every form, that's fine. But don't start giving people advice.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

The topic has been discussed enough. Since the OP has received the correct answer I am going to close this thread as there is no further value to be gained from keeping it opened. If the OP wishes to ask further questions about his situation with regards to the AOS on a visitor's status, he is free to do so in another thread.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.