Usui Takumi

How do you drink your Whiskey

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

First I have to say I have very little experience with whiskey. My idea of drinking whisky is launching it as far back in my throat as possible so I can't taste it. I'm a huge Sake fan and I can appreciate all of its notes but Whiskey just tastes vile to me.

So what is the proper way to drink it? I had a Scottish friend explain it to me once but I don't really remember anything except obviously drinking it with coke is not correct lol.

Edited by Sousuke

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

if its bourbon, like jack, I like it with coke.. if it's wild turkey (especially rare breed, straight, since it pwns)..

a blended scotch, I like it with soda water and ice (like chivas or buchanans).. I know the wonders of the single malts, but I'm not big fan of them..

and if it's canadian rye, with soda water as well.. or in a manhattan

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ah my first experience of Whiskey was when I was about 14.. ohhh that was some heavy stuff at that age! I think it was the black bush was the first I tried. I drink it straight, I've still a nice bottle of Jameson from back home sitting here hehehe.. Need to head back and bring over a couple more bottles with me. I don't normally mix it with anything but if I was to mix anything in with it I'd put some cool filtered water in there or toss in a couple of ice cubes if you wanted to take some of the bite out of it going down. Whiskey is great if your sick, heat some up (or not lol) and drink down. Typically I don't mind the odd wee beer here and there keep the good stuff for when it's needed! It's needed right now!! lol

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Got a bottle of Blantons... every once in a while get a hankering for some! I take mine with 1 piece of ice (the water helps open up the aromas)...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Other Timeline
Ah my first experience of Whiskey was when I was about 14.. ohhh that was some heavy stuff at that age! I think it was the black bush was the first I tried. I drink it straight, I've still a nice bottle of Jameson from back home sitting here hehehe.. Need to head back and bring over a couple more bottles with me. I don't normally mix it with anything but if I was to mix anything in with it I'd put some cool filtered water in there or toss in a couple of ice cubes if you wanted to take some of the bite out of it going down. Whiskey is great if your sick, heat some up (or not lol) and drink down. Typically I don't mind the odd wee beer here and there keep the good stuff for when it's needed! It's needed right now!! lol

####### is it with you Irishmen taking perfectly magnificent Irish Whiskey and pouring water into it?

Isn't that like - sacrilege or something?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Met a wiskey shop owner once at a conference, he had a flask with him... He showed me how just a touch of water helps to bring out the smell and "expand" the boquet of the wiskey... not too much or you water it down, but a "touch" brings it out... Guess that just stuck with me....

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I treat my whisky collection with reverence.

I drink single malts neat, in a brandy snifter. Pour the whiskey into the glass, swirl it, let the aromas circulate in the glass. Inhale, breathe in, just as you would a fine glass of wine. After acclimating to the nose, you are ready to taste. Take a small amount on the tongue, swirl in your mouth. Let the taste buds on your tongue register the sensations. Different malts will have different notes. I'm personally very fond of Islay malts, from the island of Islay on Scotland's west coast. Particular favorites are Laphroaig, Caol Ila and Bowmore.

Tip: I stay away from "cask strength" malts, and prefer a normal 80 or 86 proof (40 or 43%). The cask strength is much too harsh to drink as described above, so you really need to cut it with water.

I enjoy blended whiskys too - "house brands" such as JW Red Label and Famous Grouse, as well as "premium" brands such as Chivas and Black Label. I occasionally drink those neat, but generally prefer to add two or three small ice cubes to chill them without overly diluting.

I also drink bourbons (Jack, Makers Mark) and Canadian ryes (particularly Wiser's - unavailable outside Canada), also over ice, but I generally prefer Scotch.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Met a wiskey shop owner once at a conference, he had a flask with him... He showed me how just a touch of water helps to bring out the smell and "expand" the boquet of the wiskey... not too much or you water it down, but a "touch" brings it out... Guess that just stuck with me....

The term you're searching for is "release the serpent" - the idea is that a "splash" of water releases the serpent in the "water of life" (uisge beatha).

I personally still prefer it neat unless cask strength.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

####### is it with you Irishmen taking perfectly magnificent Irish Whiskey and pouring water into it?

Isn't that like - sacrilege or something?

It is but I don't personally do it.. I prefer into a glass then into my gut... repeat until everything goes dark! :dance:

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Scotch is an acquired taste and I have not acquired it....

Bourbon on the other hand, is good: Neat, on the rocks and with coke. IMHO

Edited by William33

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

In the former days....straight from the bottle.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg