Misty1979

How easy is it to regain your Citizenship if you relinquish it?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys,

You probably won't remember, but I posted a few months back asking your opinions on whether or not you would give up your Citizenship for a job. Thanks to you guys and my growing desire to retire in Canada, I've decided there is no freaking way I'm letting anyone take away my Canadianness :ranting:

Anyways, I was told not long after that they wouldn't "officially" force me to relinquish my Citizenship, but would only shred my passport. That didn't sound so bad. But again lately, I've heard a few times that they will make me forfeit my Canadian Citizenship, and if it comes to that, I will just pick a different job. Explaining this to my command isn't going to be easy though, since they pretty much encourage you to pick the job that will make you happiest so you'll stick around longer and people keep bickering with me saying "well if you do retire in Canada, can't you just present them with your Canadian birth certificate and regain your Citizenship?"

Does anyone here know exactly how you would go about getting your Citizenship back? I'm still adamant that I will not give it up because I love my home country, etc, but if I'm going to stick to this, I need to be able to explain the whole process in getting it back.

So that being said, does anyone know how to regain my Canadianness?

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

You would no longer be a Canadian citizen, therefore you would have to apply, first, for permanent residency (like any immigrant) and after spending the required amount of time living in Canada you could apply for citizenship.

Also have to keep in mind that you would have to have the qualifications to apply as a PR to Canada - so under the skilled worker class or investor class.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
You would no longer be a Canadian citizen, therefore you would have to apply, first, for permanent residency (like any immigrant) and after spending the required amount of time living in Canada you could apply for citizenship.

Also have to keep in mind that you would have to have the qualifications to apply as a PR to Canada - so under the skilled worker class or investor class.

i thought i read somewhere about special conditions for former citizens who wish to return.

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

06/04/2009 money order cashed

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

20/07/2009 NOA2 petition approved

08/12/2009 Packet 3 Received

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

09/14/2009 Medical Toronto

06/11/2009 interview PASSED!

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

14/02/2010 POE Sault Ste Marie ON

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

06/15/2010 Biometrics(Grand Rapids MI)

08/20/2010 interview (approved)

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are a former Canadian citizen and now want to become a citizen again, you must apply to resume your citizenship.

However, you should be aware that a new law came into effect on April 17, 2009, amending the Citizenship Act. The new law gives Canadian citizenship to certain individuals who lost it and to others who will be recognized as citizens for the first time. Citizenship will be automatic and retroactive to the date of loss or the date of birth, depending on the situation. People will not have to apply for citizenship, or apply to resume citizenship, but may need to apply for a citizenship certificate to prove their citizenship. All individuals who are Canadian citizens at the time the law comes into effect will keep their citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/resume.asp

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

06/04/2009 money order cashed

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

20/07/2009 NOA2 petition approved

08/12/2009 Packet 3 Received

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

09/14/2009 Medical Toronto

06/11/2009 interview PASSED!

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

14/02/2010 POE Sault Ste Marie ON

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

06/15/2010 Biometrics(Grand Rapids MI)

08/20/2010 interview (approved)

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Timeline

Yes, that is helpful, it means Misty will only have to be a permanent resident for a year before she can apply for citizenship - however, it's still not automatic for her - she has to be a permanent resident for a year first - that's the catch - does she either have the qualifications that are in demand - or hopefully will be in demand at that time - or will she be applying for permanent resident status as an investor.

The link to that info is here Misty:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/r...eligibility.asp

Resuming citizenship: Who can apply

General eligibility

To be eligible to resume your Canadian citizenship, you must meet the following requirements.

You must:

•have been a Canadian citizen

•have become a permanent resident of Canada after you lost your Canadian citizenship and

•have lived in Canada as a permanent resident for at least one year immediately before you apply.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

How bout not giving it up at all? Im Canadian born, came to USA as a immigrant, after about 15 years (by choice) got US citizenship and now a dual. The Us gov't doesnt make you relinquish ur Canadian passport soo....i'd keep both..however i dont know your whole situation but as a 4th generation Canadian, theres nothing in this world that would have me give that up..NO WAY...

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow that really sucks.... My husband is USAF and he was talking with me about possibly joinning and thats not even an open option now after reading this! I would rather go back to school and i HATE school with a passion...

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
How bout not giving it up at all? Im Canadian born, came to USA as a immigrant, after about 15 years (by choice) got US citizenship and now a dual. The Us gov't doesnt make you relinquish ur Canadian passport soo....i'd keep both..however i dont know your whole situation but as a 4th generation Canadian, theres nothing in this world that would have me give that up..NO WAY...

Yeah I'm confused with why someone would go through all the hassel to get rid of their Canadian citizenship for any reason? I have no intentions of ever moving back there ever again, but I still have my citizenship and my passport. The only thing is I now have to maintain 2 passports if I want to have both.

There is a process you have to go through to even renounce your Canadian Citizenship too, you actually have to file a petition then get seen before a government official in an interview and so forth. So why anyone would want to do that is beyond me.

The is the good thing about Canada, they don't care if you have other citizenships unlike Peru and Germany and India where you do lose your Citizenship. Canada doesn't. Canada will never reconize your US citizenship and always consider you Canadian first. The US doesn't reconize your Canadian citizenship and always consider you US first.

So there is never any issue or any reason to denounce your Canadian citizenship...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Hey guys,

You probably won't remember, but I posted a few months back asking your opinions on whether or not you would give up your Citizenship for a job. Thanks to you guys and my growing desire to retire in Canada, I've decided there is no freaking way I'm letting anyone take away my Canadianness :ranting:

Anyways, I was told not long after that they wouldn't "officially" force me to relinquish my Citizenship, but would only shred my passport. That didn't sound so bad. But again lately, I've heard a few times that they will make me forfeit my Canadian Citizenship, and if it comes to that, I will just pick a different job. Explaining this to my command isn't going to be easy though, since they pretty much encourage you to pick the job that will make you happiest so you'll stick around longer and people keep bickering with me saying "well if you do retire in Canada, can't you just present them with your Canadian birth certificate and regain your Citizenship?"

Does anyone here know exactly how you would go about getting your Citizenship back? I'm still adamant that I will not give it up because I love my home country, etc, but if I'm going to stick to this, I need to be able to explain the whole process in getting it back.

So that being said, does anyone know how to regain my Canadianness?

No, they can't "force" you. You do have to make a written application, and as I stated earlier in another thread you wrote, you have to appear in front of a Canadian judge etc. and it's a lengthy process and not seen as something frivolous to the judge. Anyway, so they shred your passport? What the heck does that mean? lol They can shred all they want, that has nothing to do with your citizenship. You can get another one. That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard! I highly doubt as well that some American official can "shred" someone's passport as well. I'm sure there is a law against it. Kind of like, shredding the American flag! I really doubt they can do that, literally. The whole wording of the thing..."forfeit", "shredding" is ridiculous. I know...you're going to say that that's what you've been told, but really, does it sound right?

If you're adament that you're going to be a Canadian, and that you're going to retire there, then this is really a non-issue and either pick another job in the military or tell them to STFU! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Wow that really sucks.... My husband is USAF and he was talking with me about possibly joinning and thats not even an open option now after reading this! I would rather go back to school and i HATE school with a passion...

There are Canadian citizens who are in the US forces in Afganistan/IRAQ now - they profiled them on the news once - is everyone sure you have to give up your Cdn citizenship just to join the army (or navy or whatever) ? The news article suggested otherwise. In positions where clearance is required they do say you can't have citizenship in another country *and I commented in the other thread about that I think - you get about a dozen answers if you go digging about that too.

If you really think you might want it back - why are you giving it up? I can tell it bothers you a fair bit.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

There are Canadian citizens who are in the US forces in Afganistan/IRAQ now - they profiled them on the news once - is everyone sure you have to give up your Cdn citizenship just to join the army (or navy or whatever) ? The news article suggested otherwise. In positions where clearance is required they do say you can't have citizenship in another country *and I commented in the other thread about that I think - you get about a dozen answers if you go digging about that too.

I don't believe it is the issue of being in the US army if you are Canadian. For Misty it's the job/position she wants to do and the security clearance that is required and that in order to get that level of security clearance she can't be a citizen of any other country but the US.

Timeline

I don't believe it is the issue of being in the US army if you are Canadian. For Misty it's the job/position she wants to do and the security clearance that is required and that in order to get that level of security clearance she can't be a citizen of any other country but the US.

Tough decision to make then - for myself I realize I won't be getting certain jobs, because I am not going to give up that for clearance

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

That's correct. The position I was about to take would be IT (Information Systems Technician,) which in some cases would involve me handling highly classified/senstive information so you need a top secret security clearance for that. My supervisor is calling around to double check today that I would indeed have to officially drop my Canadian citizenship, not just have my passport shredded. If that's the case, there are a few different jobs I can still do.

To Inky: You are still more than able to join the USAF...joining alone doesn't mean you have to relinquish your Citizenship! You only have to give it up if you are applying for certain jobs that require a higher level security clearance. That being said, there are 3 positions I can do without giving up my Canuckness, and I'm sure there are a few in the AF that are open to you as well.

Thanks everyone for the links/info you posted here! I didnt' realize I would have to apply for my Canadian Citizenship just the same as any other immigrant. I plan on having at least a bachelors before we move back (possibly a Veterinary degree if all goes well,) but since I highly doubt I'll have a degree that qualifies me as a skilled immigrant that they need, there is no way I'll let em take my Citizenship now :thumbs:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.