cali92057

American wanting to marry in Cuba

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hello All, I'm from California and I go to Cuba via Mexico. I am planning on moving to Cuba at the end of October and living there for about a year as my fiancee's mother is very ill. We would like to get married in Cuba and then I gather I file for a K-3. I have found that I need all my papers but translated in spanish. All the references keep taking me back to Canada. unsure.gif I would like for an American who wed in Cuba to contact me as to how this paperwork s to be done. My fiancee does not live in Havana but about 12 hours away and the largest city near him is Holquin. This process is making me crazy. crying.gif You can reply to me by PM.

Monique

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove personal email address for security reasons

Monique

QUOTE (cali92057 @ Jul 27 2009, 09:28 PM) Hello All, I'm from California and I go to Cuba via Mexico. I am planning on moving to Cuba at the end of October and living there for about a year as my fiancee's mother is very ill. We would like to get married in Cuba and then I gather I file for a K-3. I have found that I need all my papers but translated in spanish. All the references keep taking me back to Canada. unsure.gif I would like for an American who wed in Cuba to contact me as to how this paperwork s to be done. My fiancee does not live in Havana but about 12 hours away and the largest city near him is Holquin. This process is making me crazy. crying.gif You can reply to me by PM

Monique

You might try clicking on Members in the top right hand of this page, and then clicking on "toggle options". Put in Cuba as the country, and you'll see all the members who's fiance came from Cuba. You'll see when someone joined, and you could maybe PM someone who's filed for a K-3 and who joined not that long ago. As well, posting this in the K-3 visa forum might help you as well. All the best! rose.gif

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove email address from quote
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

QUOTE (cali92057 @ Jul 27 2009, 10:28 PM) Hello All, I'm from California and I go to Cuba via Mexico. I am planning on moving to Cuba at the end of October and living there for about a year as my fiancee's mother is very ill. We would like to get married in Cuba and then I gather I file for a K-3. I have found that I need all my papers but translated in spanish. All the references keep taking me back to Canada. unsure.gif I would like for an American who wed in Cuba to contact me as to how this paperwork s to be done. My fiancee does not live in Havana but about 12 hours away and the largest city near him is Holquin. This process is making me crazy. crying.gif You can reply to me by PM.

Monique

hi I sent you back the message about the translation, as much as you need it for filing for this immigration, get many fully notarized copies.

Ok. I got married last year in Cuba, thinking at the time we would not be in immigration so soon. wrong and now I suffer because of losing so much time and SSSSSSSSSOOOOO much $$. IMHO you should file now immediately for for the 129-f. and when the time arrives months from now he comes here and you marry. If his parents are unwell , I am sorry ,but that will not help you be able to stay en Cuba . after 1 month you must always go to immigration thereand re-do your tourist visa, if you are trying to do a family visa(A-2vs A-1) , it is 40 cuc compared to 25 and if you are thinking that you can change it after one month and just pay the 40 on the back half, no, you will pay 40, and 40 for the 2nd mes, and have lost the 25 you paid already in the shuffle. so it gets expensive. All this gets you is hmmmm what, peace of mind to stay in a relatives house, hmmm only one house is listed tho. SO after that, there is no extension, you must leave the country to re-enter. believe me I do it all the time, and don't ever think the(cuban) government doesn't keep track, they do, perfectly. they have on your computer file ever place you have ever listed on your card or in immigration. I spend days waiting for my papers sometimes its like that.. to marry en cuba para extranjero es muy muy caro... expensive, a waste in many ways. I would have rather had the money for 2 more trips or a mac laptop... or ... the fees of the immigration! As you will see , more people here on VJ are doing the fiancee visa, and I watch them passs me and get their interviews, bring their SO home and marry, I congratulate them and wait.... for my husband, it is very hard to take sometimes. And yes I have family far away in cuba too that we want to visit at least once a year so I think about all the aspects of the visas and how hard it is. I have one married couple friend married for almost 18 years that spends half the year en Habana where they own ( have the papers!!!) of their apt. every year gets harder, and they pay a lot for rafael to re-nter every time... but he says it is worth it all, their life is good and they are together!!! so think about it all, by all means marry just choose where with some background.... star_smile.gif good luck! we are all here !

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove email address from quote

One love...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

I agree with Juana17. The fastest way to go....is to file for the fiancee visa I-129F and get married in the USA...I started this process before Juana17 and I already have the interview scheduled..meanwhile she is still in the process...so do not make that mistake...Also u do not need to go thru Mexico...I go very often using the religious way....the agencies here in Miami do it..not sure if you have travel agencies like that in Cali

Edited by Maire

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

since the OP is contemplating marriage in Cuba this is certainly not a K-1 visa issue... moving to regional thread

Edited by Kathryn41

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

since the OP is contemplating marriage in Cuba this is certainly not a K-1 visa issue... moving to regional thread

Yes it still is , she needs good information , not a shuffle to some other thread... She just wants to get married for her reasons and go thru the immigration process. I did it that way and I wish I had not , as Maire says , I would probably be happily together with my husband here already! Now I feel stuck, I can't even move on the 129-f I have that was just approved because I would have to pay all over again! is that CRAZY???! so I for sure recommend doing the 129 but , at least lets support another couple , they are in love. and cuba is a tough gig!

Edited by Kathryn41

One love...

• 1 year later...
Timeline

I agree with Juana17. The fastest way to go....is to file for the fiancee visa I-129F and get married in the USA...I started this process before Juana17 and I already have the interview scheduled..meanwhile she is still in the process...so do not make that mistake...Also u do not need to go thru Mexico...I go very often using the religious way....the agencies here in Miami do it..not sure if you have travel agencies like that in Cali

Can you tell me which agency you use? I need to go to Cuba legally in order to show that we've met within the last two years. thanks!

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Can you tell me which agency you use? I need to go to Cuba legally in order to show that we've met within the last two years. thanks!

I know this reply is pretty late, but you don't need to go legally to prove anything to immigration. I wasted my money on a lawyer who told me that, too, and I learned here on this forum that it's totally incorrect. Immigration doesn't care how you get to Cuba. I've never gone legally, and handed over all my proof of that as evidence of relationship, and they don't care. In my interviews (in Cuba and in US for the green card), I've told them straight up that I've only been in Cuba for vacation, and they never ask if you've actually had a permit. The law lies in the Department of Treasury, and Immigration doesn't communicate these things with them. So, in case you're still in the process, rest assured that it's not a problem. :)

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Marie, please help me with this, what are some org names in Miami? I need to visit my fiance (we are in visa process) and I have no family in cuba so I want to go with religious group so that I can get permission. . .

(email address removed for personal security reasons - please use the Visa Journey PM function to send private messages)

Thanks!!

tila

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove personal email address for security reasons

4/1/13 - I-129F sent to Lockbox, 4/5/13 - I-129F received, 4/9/13 - NOA1, 422/13 - Alien Reg # changed, 814/13 - RFE, 817/13 - RFE reply, 10/30/13 - NOA2, 1/30/14 - Interview: Approved!

COMING TO AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/6/14 - POE

3/20/14 - Married

3/28/14 - File date for AOS

4/2/14 - NOA1 for I-485, NOA1 for I-765

4/7/14 - Requested EAD expedite

4/9/14 - USCIS request evidence of need EAD expedite

4/17/14 - Biometrics walk-in early (for may 2 appt)

5/12/14 - EAD card received

7/10/14 - Notice of interview waiver received

2/26/15 - Green card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The member Maire hasn't logged on to VJ since October 2012. The original poster hasn't logged on since August 2009. This is a very stale thread, but perhaps someone might answer.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.