sophannaven

Is it ok?? I Paid my AOS (I-485) with 2 money orders!!!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I had recetly sent off my AOS package....but i paid the $1,010 fee with 2 money orders..one money order in the amount of $1,000 and another money order in the amount of $10

would this be ok? because i just read on the instruction forms to pay with only one money order!

but my bank said that $1,000 is the maximum on 1 money order so i just got another money order for $10

I really dont want my Petition to be rejected over this small matter!!

Anyone knows about my situation!?? please Advise!!

thanks!!!

Sophanna Ven

I've read about cases where they kicked back applications when they pay with one check (for the full amount) or two checks (one for the 485 other for the bio).

I've even seen cases where they kicked back some because they put "one thousand ten dollars and zero cents" instead of "one thousand ten dollars and 00/100"

depends on who opens it seems like.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
I've read about cases where they kicked back applications when they pay with one check (for the full amount) or two checks (one for the 485 other for the bio).

I've even seen cases where they kicked back some because they put "one thousand ten dollars and zero cents" instead of "one thousand ten dollars and 00/100"

depends on who opens it seems like.

what!?? that is so wrong!!! i hope this will not get me denied!!!!

Sophanna Ven

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They will not return the money order , cause you used two money orders . 1st for $1,000.00 and 2nd for $10.00 . There is a limit you can make out the money order for and that is $1,000.00 . And with money orders for the retailer to comply with anti-money laundering laws . This comes from a person , that works in retail . We used two money orders in our aos , and we experienced no problems . By sending two , money orders for the filling fee of aos . If you are too worried about the money orders , just write an explination of why there is two money orders there instead of one . And also if you read in the instructions for the filling of the aos ( Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), you will see in the directions it states , make all money orders payable to USCIS not DHS . (Make all money orders !! does'nt that mean more than one money order ). If they only except 1 money order only , they would of worded it differently by just saying . Make your money order payable to USCIS not DHS .

Timeline
You'll know soon enough, there is nothing wrong with two checks. Guessing you couldn't go over the 1000.00 mark?

2 money orders mate... not checks

Sophanna Ven

Timeline
They will not return the money order , cause you used two money orders . 1st for $1,000.00 and 2nd for $10.00 . There is a limit you can make out the money order for and that is $1,000.00 . And with money orders for the retailer to comply with anti-money laundering laws . This comes from a person , that works in retail . We used two money orders in our aos , and we experienced no problems . By sending two , money orders for the filling fee of aos . If you are too worried about the money orders , just write an explination of why there is two money orders there instead of one . And also if you read in the instructions for the filling of the aos ( Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), you will see in the directions it states , make all money orders payable to USCIS not DHS . (Make all money orders !! does'nt that mean more than one money order ). If they only except 1 money order only , they would of worded it differently by just saying . Make your money order payable to USCIS not DHS .

thanks mate! this makes me feel a little better!!

Sophanna Ven

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

NO...

please read the directions carefully... It says Make check or money order payable to U. S. Department of Homeland Security,

YMMV

Timeline

NO...

please read the directions carefully... It says Make check or money order payable to U. S. Department of Homeland Security,

darn your right...

Sophanna Ven

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am not sure if multiple money orders is an issue... what is an issue is properly making the check/ money order payable to. Indicating that you make it payable to USCIS is incorrect.

YMMV

Timeline
I am not sure if multiple money orders is an issue... what is an issue is properly making the check/ money order payable to. Indicating that you make it payable to USCIS is incorrect.

yes is needs to be fully spelled out...

yes is needs to be fully spelled out...

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Sophanna Ven

I am not sure if multiple money orders is an issue...

It's not.

To the OP, the instructions say:

You may submit one check or money order for both the application and biometric fees, for a total of $1010.

The emphasis is mine. It says MAY not MUST :)

I too submitted two money orders, to the same denominations you mentioned ($1000 and $10) and there was no problem. Countless other people have done the same, also with no problem.

The only people who have problems are those who write the payee incorrectly (read the instructions, folks, it's written there in bold) or people who write checks with some irregularity that would be ignored by most banks ('no cents' versus '0/100', etc) but is not ignored by USCIS.

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.