sajori

I-864, joint tax returns, but no I-864A needed

2 posts in this topic

please help!

Intially I was going to do an I-864A for my mom (my dad is a joint sponsor, they file jointly)

But I don't actually need to use my mom's income. I will file an I-864 for myself (the petitioner) and my father (the joint sponsor).

I wrote down his individual income for questions 10: but for question 11 do I write the gross total (as shown on their jointly filed taxes? Is this why I need to include his W-2s...to show the 'breakout' of his income from their total income?

thanks!

I would put any income attributable to Dad on the income line. If he has investment income (interest, stock dividends) that shows his name and SSN number on 1099-INT or 1099-DIV, then that's part of his income. He should include any W2s and 1099s that are reported on his SSN as proof of his personal income.

On the tax return question, I think I would just put what shows up on the joint return. They can figure out his portion by looking at his other paperwork. I personally included one year with a joint return because I was a widow, but filed jointly the year in which my husband died. So his income was a large chunk of that return. I listed the whole income as reported on the joint tax return and it was never questioned. Sometimes these forms are so "one-size-fits-all" that it's hard to know what to do, but USCIS will know what they are looking for in the documentation of his income. You could always add a page of explanation if it makes you feel better...

John Smiths portion of this joint tax return is

$$$ (wages)

$$$(interest income)

$$$ (dividend income)

$$$ Total income

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.