LeprechaunSean

Montreal Interview-The Breakdown

3 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

well we made it across the border and have a few months to breath here in the US, so we are just starting to prep our packet three. We've already got the criminal record check, etc...but I'm just wondering-what kind of questions do they ask you in montreal? what's it all about, etc...

also, is there any way for my wife to get the medical check up here in the US, or does she have to get it done with one of the doctors in canada?

one more thing, if anyone knows anything about CBP, do you know if there is a way to extend a 'parole'. The CBP let her through without her visa yet, but they said they were 'paroling' her in. She's got a return ticket to canada for the end of september, but if it takes longer to get the interview then obviously she wants to stay a little longer. Any info is much appreciated, I'll start researching that tonight.

US born, Canadian raised, Irish Blood.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For the medical she has to go to one of the authorized physicians in Canada. There is one in Toronto, one in Vancouver and two in Montreal. You could wait until you recieve the interview date, and then make one trip out of it. That's what many others do who live far away from one of the physicians.

As far as questions in Montreal, they asked us pretty standard things that were easy to answer. She asked how we met, how long we've been together, she asked some questions about when we would see each other and who would go where, how long my longest visit in the US was (checking for overstays), when the wedding would be, and the rest was just logistical stuff like confirming the address I would be moving to. As long as you have nothing to hide and you have a solid relationship then there isn't much to worry about!

I have no idea what the officer meant about 'paroling' her in... Did she have a visitors visa stapled inside her passport saying she must return at a specific time? They have been known to do that to people they felt were "suspicious." If they didn't say she had to come back to Canada at a specific time, then I don't see why extending the visit would be a problem... as long as its no longer than 6 months.

Filed: Timeline

Ditto to what Huggles says. Check her passport for an I-94. If she's got one of those you need to pay attention to the expiry date. Here is the link to extend a stay:

Form I-539 Application to Extend Stay

At the interview I can't recall being asked any/many questions. The officer and my husband (the USC) just chatted back and forth while he was processing my documents because he was interested in my husband's job. lol

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.