sarabethgordon

Please Help! K-1 Visa Questions

39 posts in this topic

You may also want to consider if his entry denial will affect him being approved. Was he charged for any immigration violations?

This is not a concern. It happens to a lot of people. As long as he was allowed to 'withdraw his admission application' to the US. (basically he was INA 214b), you will have no problems (other than possible longer NOA2 due to security checks - we went through this and others have too).

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a tax forum, but an immigration forum.

OP, you will be fine.

When you get to the consular stage, your mother will need to sign some paperwork. Depending on how much money you make when you file AOS next year, you may need your mother to help again.

As for being denied entry, it happens (to us actually too). You should be prepared for a little more scrutiny at USCIS, but you will be fine.

Best of Luck.

Ok so I just need to file my the fiance visa with my proof of working and income tax returns I am just afraid they will deny me should I have my mom send something saying she is willing to help as well while I turn in the application

You don't have to submit any proof of employment or income with the petition. Your fiance will need that stuff later for the interview at the consulate in the UK.

Don't send ANYTHING until you've read the guides and understand what you're supposed to send. The process isn't difficult, but it IS meticulous, and your petition can be delayed or denied for relatively simple errors. Also a really GOOD reason for reading the guides is that people here are very helpful when new members ask informed questions, and are a lot less helpful (downright rude at times) when people ask questions that are clearly answered in the guides. :whistle:

Good luck!

Alright well im reading the supporting documents and its saying that the fee is $455 which is manageable but a lawyer told me that there was also a processing fee.

Also im living with a roomate right now but the lease is up in a month and I plan on getting an apartment on my own so that my fiance and i can live together and get married when he arrives.

Should I wait to file the paperwork if my address is going to be changing?

He does not have a job right now but will eventually. Should I wait for that as well?

And the reason he got denied was because he had been coming in and out the country every three months on the visa waiver program and got denied becuase he needed an actual visa.

He never overstayed his visit and he never broke any of the laws.

I am also 20 and he is 21 will that be a problem?

You may also want to consider if his entry denial will affect him being approved. Was he charged for any immigration violations?

This is not a concern. It happens to a lot of people. As long as he was allowed to 'withdraw his admission application' to the US. (basically he was INA 214b), you will have no problems (other than possible longer NOA2 due to security checks - we went through this and others have too).

How long did it take for your visa to be processed?

average about 6 month to a year

good luck

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Alright well im reading the supporting documents and its saying that the fee is $455 which is manageable but a lawyer told me that there was also a processing fee.

Also im living with a roomate right now but the lease is up in a month and I plan on getting an apartment on my own so that my fiance and i can live together and get married when he arrives.

He does not have a job right now but will eventually. Should I wait for that as well?

And the reason he got denied was because he had been coming in and out the country every three months on the visa waiver program and got denied becuase he needed an actual visa.

If you're only filing a petition for the K1, then the fee is currently $455. Any other fees the lawyer told you about were fees he was going to charge you. There WILL be more fees later on for medical, visa application, plane tickets, etc. The whopper comes after he gets his visa and you're married in the US - $1010 to get his conditional green card.

You can submit a change of address with USCIS after you file the petition, but you may not need to. If you take your time and do this right then you probably won't have your paperwork ready before you move anyway. Do you have a signed letter of intent from your fiance? How about 4 signed pages of his G-325A? Passport style photo of him taken within the last 30 days? Don't rush the paperwork. As I said, it is meticulous. Small mistakes can cause delays or even a denial of your petition.

It makes absolutely no difference if he's working. The US government doesn't care. However, it wouldn't hurt if both of you are working and saving some money because you've got some big expenses coming.

The age shouldn't be a problem. As long as you're both old enough to marry in your state.

You still have at least 7 months, I would think, before you'll need the income documents and affidavits of support from you and your mother. Your fiance will need to bring these documents to the US consulate when he has his interview. BTW, I wouldn't tell them that you don't declare all of your tips on your tax return. I realize that a lot of people who earn tips in addition to wages do not declare all of their tips, but it's not something you admit to the US government.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

If you're only filing a petition for the K1, then the fee is currently $455. Any other fees the lawyer told you about were fees he was going to charge you. There WILL be more fees later on for medical, visa application, plane tickets, etc. The whopper comes after he gets his visa and you're married in the US - $1010 to get his conditional green card.

You can submit a change of address with USCIS after you file the petition, but you may not need to. If you take your time and do this right then you probably won't have your paperwork ready before you move anyway. Do you have a signed letter of intent from your fiance? How about 4 signed pages of his G-325A? Passport style photo of him taken within the last 30 days? Don't rush the paperwork. As I said, it is meticulous. Small mistakes can cause delays or even a denial of your petition.

It makes absolutely no difference if he's working. The US government doesn't care. However, it wouldn't hurt if both of you are working and saving some money because you've got some big expenses coming.

The age shouldn't be a problem. As long as you're both old enough to marry in your state.

You still have at least 7 months, I would think, before you'll need the income documents and affidavits of support from you and your mother. Your fiance will need to bring these documents to the US consulate when he has his interview. BTW, I wouldn't tell them that you don't declare all of your tips on your tax return. I realize that a lot of people who earn tips in addition to wages do not declare all of their tips, but it's not something you admit to the US government.

THANK YOU SO MUCH I REALLY APPRECIATE IT

WOULD YOU MIND SENDING ME A LIST OF EVERYTHING I NEED TO SEND WITH MY APPLICATION?

I KNOW IT SAYS ON THE NET WHAT I NEED BUT IF ITS BROKEN DOWN TO ME HERE I WILL BE ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT WITHOUT ANY MISTAKES :)

AND THE SIGNED LETTER OF INTENT BASICALLY JUST STATES THAT WE ARE GOING TO MARRY WITHIN 90 DAYS CORRECT?

I FOUND ONE ON THE NET WHERE YOU JUST ENTER YOUR NAMES ACTUALLY ITS ON THIS WEBSITE IS THAT OK?

WOULD YOU MIND SENDING ME A LIST OF EVERYTHING I NEED TO SEND WITH MY APPLICATION?

I KNOW IT SAYS ON THE NET WHAT I NEED BUT IF ITS BROKEN DOWN TO ME HERE I WILL BE ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT WITHOUT ANY MISTAKES :)

AND THE SIGNED LETTER OF INTENT BASICALLY JUST STATES THAT WE ARE GOING TO MARRY WITHIN 90 DAYS CORRECT?

I FOUND ONE ON THE NET WHERE YOU JUST ENTER YOUR NAMES ACTUALLY ITS ON THIS WEBSITE IS THAT OK?

AND ALSO FOUR PAGES OF THE 325-A?

WHY FOUR THATS CONFUSING.

ITS ALL SOOOO CONFUSING :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The less 'whys' you ask and the more 'hows' will help. Trying to figure out 'why' only leads to 'because'. And the government multiplies that in ways incomprehensible.

Basically you need 4 pages of the exact same information (G-325a) for both of you, because that is what USCIS says and you have to do what they say.

And you want a copy of these for your SO... and a 'back up' spare copy in case anything is lost. So best to not ask why, just get 12 pages for each person (3 full sets of 4 pages, each with an original signature, no photocopies or faxes, no copy on a scanner and email and print).

I'm not trying to be harsh. Just saying things in my mind calmed down a LOT after I stopped trying to figure out why and just thought, 'ok they need this, so how do I get it and fill it out correctly?' Then you can worry about crossing T's and dotting i's after you've done everything they asked and sent in correctly, but your mind will just need something to worry about and invent fantasies.

For mine I made 3 complete sets of EVERYTHING. One to turn in, One for my SO, and one 'just in case'. If anything is lost/misplaced or whatever, I have a back-up and will just need to retrieve another one, without panicking over where I left form XYZ and worry that I will fill it out wrong or differently than before.

I read the guides, over and over. Asked specific questions (some quite stupid, but I needed to ask) It gave me a lot more calm than if I would have jumped in feet first.

Am I still panicking?- Of course, we all will/are/did, because it's not over until it's all over and our minds as humans will force worry on us. Just over the subjective qualities 'is x better evidence than y?', etc., not OMG! I forgot to send in a copy of my birth certificate.

This cant be broken down anymore for you. Seriously, read it through, download the forms and fill them out.

Nobody can do this for you. This process is a hard one and you need to start getting a grip on exactly what is required of you if you are serious about following this through.

The letter of intent on the net is fine to use.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

Good luck.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

This cant be broken down anymore for you. Seriously, read it through, download the forms and fill them out.

Nobody can do this for you. This process is a hard one and you need to start getting a grip on exactly what is required of you if you are serious about following this through.

The letter of intent on the net is fine to use.

Good luck.

You can also order the forms directly from USCIS. We did that, and the multiple copies required of the various forms are already made. The forms are free, and you can even fill them out bu hand. If you move, just make sure the forms are sent to an address you can get to - it doesn't have to be where you live, and the address for your order has nothing to do with the address you list on the petition.

USCIS Forms By Mail

Also, please listen to the members that are advising you to carefully read the guides and prepare (and triple check) everything before you start. You will be glad you did. Good luck!

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Really the best advice I think anyone can give you at this time is to take a deep breath...read the help you have been offered, print a copy of a cover letter and use it as a checklist, work on one form at a time as well as anything you need to accompany that form. Everything will be ok!!

Timeline

Gently, now! All capital letters is considered 'shouting' on the internet. Let's not forget our 'netiquette'! :innocent:

The K1 visa guide on this website really does break it down about as well as it can be broken down.

If you just want a bullet list of the forms and documents you need to provide then look at the example cover letter. It includes a 'table of contents' for the package.

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Cover_..._for_I-129F.doc

Remember that not all documents will be required by everyone, and the specific documents you submit may be different from the documents other people submit. It depends on your particular situation. For example, you have to provide proof of your US citizenship since you're the petitioner. This can be a birth certificate, if you were born in the US. It can be a US passport. It can be a certificate of naturalization, if you were born in another country and became a citizen after coming to the US. If you or your fiance are divorced then you'd also include copies of the divorce decrees.

Many of the forms can be downloaded as PDF files. Many have corresponding PDF's containing instructions for filling out the form. Be sure to download and read the instructions, as well.

You also need to submit proof that you and your fiance have physically met each other within the past two years (see question 18 on the I-129F form). Most people submit things like copies of passport pages showing visa stamps, copies of airline boarding passes, etc. This is primary evidence because it proves travel on specific days. They also include photos of them and their fiance's together, which is secondary evidence proving that you and your fiance were actually together during the trip. Since your fiance is the one who did the travelling, you can get this primary evidence from him. There are a gazillion threads on this topic here, and everyone submits what is appropriate for their situation.

By the way, documents you submit with the petition can be regular photocopies or digital scans UNLESS the document requires a signature from either you or your fiance, in which case it must be the original document. He cannot email you a copy of his G-325A or letter of intent, since those require his signature.

The letter of intent just states that you intend to marry your fiance within 90 days after his arrival in the US with a K1 visa. The example letter on this site is fine. Lots of people here have used it. Edit it accordingly, using your names and addresses. Each of you need to sign one of these.

I just saw the new 6/9/2009 version of this form today. It makes it even more confusing because it's only two pages, and one of them is instructions. I have no idea why they did this. As far as I know, four copies are still needed from each of you, and each copy must be individually signed. Hopefully, USCIS will clarify this in the coming weeks.

In any case, the previous version had a different annotation at the bottom of each page indicating where it was being sent to. In other words, at some point along the way these four copies end up being distributed to different government offices. Copy four is evidently kept by the consulate. I think they just prefer that you use your printer, paper, and ink, rather than them having to photocopy the document 3 times. Visas and immigration are part of a group of government services that are paid for by the people who use them, rather than being paid for by general taxes, so they want you to do all the work, provide all the documents, and pony up the cash for everything they have to spend any time on. :blush:

Seriously, read the guides until you understand them. If something isn't clear, then go to the appropriate subforum here and search for the subject. You'll probably find your question has already been asked dozens of times, and answered in dozens of ways. Resist the urge to fire off a question until you've spent some time trying to find the answer on your own. Take your time, and educate yourself. You have a much better chance of a smooth process if you know what you're doing, and you know what to expect.

Gently, now! All capital letters is considered 'shouting' on the internet. Let's not forget our 'netiquette'! :innocent:

The K1 visa guide on this website really does break it down about as well as it can be broken down.

If you just want a bullet list of the forms and documents you need to provide then look at the example cover letter. It includes a 'table of contents' for the package.

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Cover_..._for_I-129F.doc

Remember that not all documents will be required by everyone, and the specific documents you submit may be different from the documents other people submit. It depends on your particular situation. For example, you have to provide proof of your US citizenship since you're the petitioner. This can be a birth certificate, if you were born in the US. It can be a US passport. It can be a certificate of naturalization, if you were born in another country and became a citizen after coming to the US. If you or your fiance are divorced then you'd also include copies of the divorce decrees.

Many of the forms can be downloaded as PDF files. Many have corresponding PDF's containing instructions for filling out the form. Be sure to download and read the instructions, as well.

You also need to submit proof that you and your fiance have physically met each other within the past two years (see question 18 on the I-129F form). Most people submit things like copies of passport pages showing visa stamps, copies of airline boarding passes, etc. This is primary evidence because it proves travel on specific days. They also include photos of them and their fiance's together, which is secondary evidence proving that you and your fiance were actually together during the trip. Since your fiance is the one who did the travelling, you can get this primary evidence from him. There are a gazillion threads on this topic here, and everyone submits what is appropriate for their situation.

By the way, documents you submit with the petition can be regular photocopies or digital scans UNLESS the document requires a signature from either you or your fiance, in which case it must be the original document. He cannot email you a copy of his G-325A or letter of intent, since those require his signature.

The letter of intent just states that you intend to marry your fiance within 90 days after his arrival in the US with a K1 visa. The example letter on this site is fine. Lots of people here have used it. Edit it accordingly, using your names and addresses. Each of you need to sign one of these.

I just saw the new 6/9/2009 version of this form today. It makes it even more confusing because it's only two pages, and one of them is instructions. I have no idea why they did this. As far as I know, four copies are still needed from each of you, and each copy must be individually signed. Hopefully, USCIS will clarify this in the coming weeks.

In any case, the previous version had a different annotation at the bottom of each page indicating where it was being sent to. In other words, at some point along the way these four copies end up being distributed to different government offices. Copy four is evidently kept by the consulate. I think they just prefer that you use your printer, paper, and ink, rather than them having to photocopy the document 3 times. Visas and immigration are part of a group of government services that are paid for by the people who use them, rather than being paid for by general taxes, so they want you to do all the work, provide all the documents, and pony up the cash for everything they have to spend any time on. :blush:

Seriously, read the guides until you understand them. If something isn't clear, then go to the appropriate subforum here and search for the subject. You'll probably find your question has already been asked dozens of times, and answered in dozens of ways. Resist the urge to fire off a question until you've spent some time trying to find the answer on your own. Take your time, and educate yourself. You have a much better chance of a smooth process if you know what you're doing, and you know what to expect.

Thank you all so so much.

I have been doing a ton of research so hopefully I will be able to get through this without a lawyer.

Just two more questions might be stupid might not.

I was planning on getting an apartment alone for the six months or however long it takes to process,however I have an oppourtunity to get a house with roommates which I would much rather do while Im alone for however long it takes.

Should I just suck it up and live alone cause thats what they are going to expect us to do when he comes?

Dont we have to have our own house/apartment?

Also what is the NOA-1 form and NOA-2 forms that I am seeing on everyones posts?

So if he was deported from the US bc he was on the visa wavier program and didnt get the right visa and he is not allowed back in until he has the correct visa thiss should'nt be a problem???

Timeline
Thank you all so so much.

I have been doing a ton of research so hopefully I will be able to get through this without a lawyer.

Just two more questions might be stupid might not.

I was planning on getting an apartment alone for the six months or however long it takes to process,however I have an oppourtunity to get a house with roommates which I would much rather do while Im alone for however long it takes.

Should I just suck it up and live alone cause thats what they are going to expect us to do when he comes?

Dont we have to have our own house/apartment?

Also what is the NOA-1 form and NOA-2 forms that I am seeing on everyones posts?

USCIS doesn't care where you live. For all they know, the address you give them is a cardboard refrigerator carton in an empty lot! :blink:

Seriously, you can stay wherever you feel the most comfortable. You can worry about getting an apartment of your own when your fiance gets here. You can even go apartment hunting together. Just be SURE you notify USCIS where you are living, and update your address with them whenever you move.

"NOA" means "Notice of Action". It's a form you receive from USCIS. The first one, NOA1, is just to inform you that your petition package has been received. You'll usually get this within a few weeks of sending the package. NOA2 is the biggie - it's the notice that your petition has been approved, and is being forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC), after which it heads to the US consulate in your fiance's country. NOA2 takes 5 or 6 months (sometimes longer) from the time you get the NOA1.

So if he was deported from the US bc he was on the visa wavier program and didnt get the right visa and he is not allowed back in until he has the correct visa thiss should'nt be a problem???

Careful, now! The right words make a huge difference here!

Being "deported" is a legal action which is done in court. The judge orders the foreigner out of the US. It is VERY serious business.

From what you describe, your fiance was simply denied entry for overusing the visa waiver program. It's not a big deal. The CBP usually will allow him to withdraw his admission application and go home - no harm, no foul. He just needs to get a visitors visa if he's going to visit often.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.