Sign in to follow this  
Lari

Sponsor's Obligation with Health Care of Alien

11 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi Dear All: :star:

My freind's income is very low. So he asked me and I agreed and promised to sponsor his old parents of 70+. This much I am sure that he will provide housing, food and other care to them and that they will not become a burden on me. They are old and they will never work or can never become US Citizens for obvious reasons! So, the question of my support obligations toward them ever termintaing is OUT and clear! I know I will be responsible as long as they live in USA.

The only fear I have is what happens if they need medical care and emergency care and with the doctors and hospital bills????? They are old and they can get sick sooner or later... so as a sponsor, would I be asked to pay those medical bills? This is the only thing that make me think twice before signing to be the sponsor. Can they ever get any medical assitance from the govt.? :wacko:

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Lari

Edited by Lari

IR1 , I-130

Interview at New Delhi Embassy on April 11th

AP/AR Started on April 24th

AP/AR Completed at DOS on May 19th.

Embassy Completd Case on June 7th.

Visa issued on June 8th

Visa in Hand on June 10th

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi Dear All: :star:

My freind's income is very low. So he asked me and I agreed and promised to sponsor his old parents of 70+. This much I am sure that he will provide housing, food and other care to them and that they will not become a burden on me. They are old and they will never work or can never become US Citizens for obvious reasons! So, the question of my support obligations toward them ever termintaing is OUT and clear! I know I will be responsible as long as they live in USA.

The only fear I have is what happens if they need medical care and emergency care and with the doctors and hospital bills????? They are old and they can get sick sooner or later... so as a sponsor, would I be asked to pay those medical bills? This is the only thing that make me think twice before signing to be the sponsor. Can they ever get any medical assitance from the govt.? :wacko:

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Lari

Affidavit of Support Forms (I-864 series forms) - Frequently Asked Questions

If the sponsored immigrant uses federal means tested public benefits, the sponsor is responsible for repaying the cost of the benefits.

Federal means tested public benefits are the following:

* Food stamps

* Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

* Medicaid

* Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

* State Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

the following types of assistance are not considered means tested public benefits and do not have to be repaid.

* Emergency Medicaid

* School lunches

* Immunizations and treatment for communicable diseases

* Student assistance to attend colleges and institutions of higher learning

* Some kinds of foster care or adoption assistance

* Job training programs

* Head start

* Short-term, non-cash emergency relief

Timeline

I would ever question if they would ever get a visa to come to the usa. At there age and having a non family member as a sponsor. They will get sick within 10 years so who will pay for there care? If ask that at the interview what are they going to say ?

You are telling the government you will care for them as there sponsor, but your not. so to me it looks like fraud and they may see it as that too.

Timeline

Thank you John for your reply.

How about medical? Can they get that?

Plus, I am just helping my freind and not a fruad. They will not apply for any welfare etc... as their son can take care of that easily... only concern is their health care.

Will they get any kind of medical assistance for regular care or if an emegency arise? Can the apply or qualify for Medical?

IR1 , I-130

Visa issued on June 8th

Timeline
:unsure: Edited by Lari

IR1 , I-130

Visa issued on June 8th

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Thank you John for your reply.

How about medical? Can they get that?

Plus, I am just helping my freind and not a fruad. They will not apply for any welfare etc... as their son can take care of that easily... only concern is their health care.

Will they get any kind of medical assistance for regular care or if an emegency arise? Can the apply or qualify for Medical?

The parents will not be eligible for Medicare. Medicare is an entitlement program that one pays for through payroll deductions. Only a person or the spouse of that person who has 10 years of work history will be eligible for Medicare upon reaching retirement age.

Medicaid (called Medi-Cal in California) is a means-based program (welfare). If the parents receives this, you would be responsible to reimburse the government. This is regular Medicaid. You would not be responsible for emergency Medicaid. So you would not be liable if one of the parents was treated in an emergency. You would be liable for paying any drugs, follow-up visits, etc. that is required after the emergency is over if the parents get Medicaid coverage. Medicaid does not do an exhaustive check before granting benefits. The AOS you sign assures that they may recover these benefits if someone is granted benefits eroneously.

As the joint sponsor, you would be liable. The government does not have to go after your friend first. They can come after you only. Any agreement you would have with your friend does not affect what the government will do.

I am not trying to scare you. You do need to consider the worst case scenario and how that would affect you and your family.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Also, if you or your spouse are going to sponsor your own relatives for immigration visas, you would have to include your friend's parents in calculating the 125% poverty level for your relatives. If you don't meet that level, your relatives would need joint sponsors in order to immigrate.

Timeline

Yes I know you just trying to help your friend but you are telling the government you are responsible for their care and for 10 years.

Here is what it has in the Act about it...

19. If the applicant(s) suffer from poor health or serious physical

impairment, are likely to need medical treatment, or are otherwise not

likely to be able to support themselves, closer scrutiny of the sponsor's

ability to provide the requisite level of support may be necessary. For

example, a sponsor who is able to demonstrate an income that barely meets

the minimum requirement, should have to demonstrate clearly that he/she has

the resources to cover an applicant requiring extensive or long-term

medical expenses. In such cases, a joint sponsor with substantial

resources would have to provide an Affidavit of Support. (Note: Medical

considerations should only be for conditions that exist at the time of the

interview. A healthy elderly applicant, for example, should not be denied a

visa simply because s/he might require medical care at some point in the

future.)

Other point you must watch out is the new health care bill coming out. Will that force you to cover them with health insurance ?

Like aaron2020 said. You do need to consider the worst case scenario and how that would affect you and your family.

Timeline

Thanks aaron for the information... specially I was not clear with all those medical terms :) Very helpful info indeed!!!

IR1 , I-130

Visa issued on June 8th

Timeline
Yes I know you just trying to help your friend but you are telling the government you are responsible for their care and for 10 years.

Here is what it has in the Act about it...

19. If the applicant(s) suffer from poor health or serious physical

impairment, are likely to need medical treatment, or are otherwise not

likely to be able to support themselves, closer scrutiny of the sponsor's

ability to provide the requisite level of support may be necessary. For

example, a sponsor who is able to demonstrate an income that barely meets

the minimum requirement, should have to demonstrate clearly that he/she has

the resources to cover an applicant requiring extensive or long-term

medical expenses. In such cases, a joint sponsor with substantial

resources would have to provide an Affidavit of Support. (Note: Medical

considerations should only be for conditions that exist at the time of the

interview. A healthy elderly applicant, for example, should not be denied a

visa simply because s/he might require medical care at some point in the

future.)

Other point you must watch out is the new health care bill coming out. Will that force you to cover them with health insurance ?

Like aaron2020 said. You do need to consider the worst case scenario and how that would affect you and your family.

Once again thanks!! You brought out a very good point that I never paid attention to like the new bill. Wow!! I think now I have some serious discussion about these matters to do with my freind before comitting myself. I got 1000 stress in life and dont want to buy more and that too unnecessary!

Yes, also My husband might consider sponsoring his mom in year or so... So I better be careful.

Thank u all!!!!

IR1 , I-130

Visa issued on June 8th

Timeline

Oh then you better be careful because you must put down the 2 other people down when you fill out the form for your mother in-law. Do not know if you income can handle sponsoring 3 people. That is something you really need to talk to your husband about if you are risking her coming over.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.