Jo&Si

Translations

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Please help!!!

We finally got our packet 3...but now I'm confused because they said :

"ALL documents not in English must be accompagnied by certified translations into English. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to by him before a Notary"

Our lawyer (that we should not have hired!!!) told us that a friend who is fluent in English and French could translate if he writes this and sign it????

(he never told us either that we need this notarized)

I certify that I am competent to translate from French to English and that the above is a correct and true translation to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Signed:

Date: ______________________

Do we need to get notarized the translation of the Birth Certificate too??? Do we need to get all forms notarized too?

Thanks in advance for your help

Jo

Jo&Si

Adjustment of Status

AOS, AP. EAD sent on 2010-03-31 Received on April 1st

04/09/2010 NOA1 email/texts for I-485, I-131, I-765

04/17/2010 Biometrics appt letter received

04/21/2010 Biometrics done!!!

05/04/2010 Biometrics appt

04/29/2010 Case transfered to CSC

05/18/2010 AP approval on website after Expedite request for health reason

05/18/2010 EAD approval

06/08/2010 GC Production ordered

06/14/2010 Welcome letter received

06/24/2010 Green Card received

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : Vermont Service Center

Date Filed : 2012-04-24

NOA Date : 2012-04-30

Bio. Appt. : 2012-07-18 (early bio)

Approval / Denial Date : 2013-01-16

Approved :Yes

Got I551 Stamp :No

Green Card Received :01-26-2013

If you submit anything that's not in English it has to be translated. Does it have to be notorized? I don't know about that. If someone translates it, and then signs that they are competent to translate it and signs it, that should be enough. However, the instructions do say they are to be sworn to. A bank could do it. It's not a big deal. Just the stuff that's been translated, I'd say.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there. I had to have my Quebec birth certificate translated from French into English and I just went to a translator and paid like 50$ for 2 copies of the translation. It does have her seal and says that she is a certified translator able to perform this task on it.

I did not have it notarized. If it becomes a problem, I will deal with it then. I was reading through some of the earlier posts from other people on here about the same subject and some did have it notarized and others did not. So far, I haven't seen anyone having a problem not having it notarized which is why i did not do it.

Hi

Thanks for your answers!

My daughter translated my divorce decree because she is studying at University in translation, and one of her teacher who is fluent in both langages corrected it (She said she did a great job) :D ...we asked our lawyer and she said no problem if she put the sentence that she is competente to do it??? :wacko:

I know I have read other posts here about this subject but I can't find them now it`s why I asked this question!

So I think I will be safe and get them notarized by a notary that can certifie that the translation is right...

About the Birth Certificate I know I have read something about that saying if where the Embassy is located French is the official langage you don't need to get them translated???

So much different infos no wonder why we are confused!!! :bonk:

Thanks a lot

Have a good evening

Jo

Jo&Si

Adjustment of Status

AOS, AP. EAD sent on 2010-03-31 Received on April 1st

04/09/2010 NOA1 email/texts for I-485, I-131, I-765

04/17/2010 Biometrics appt letter received

04/21/2010 Biometrics done!!!

05/04/2010 Biometrics appt

04/29/2010 Case transfered to CSC

05/18/2010 AP approval on website after Expedite request for health reason

05/18/2010 EAD approval

06/08/2010 GC Production ordered

06/14/2010 Welcome letter received

06/24/2010 Green Card received

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : Vermont Service Center

Date Filed : 2012-04-24

NOA Date : 2012-04-30

Bio. Appt. : 2012-07-18 (early bio)

Approval / Denial Date : 2013-01-16

Approved :Yes

Got I551 Stamp :No

Green Card Received :01-26-2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.