jeigra

what does "valid for work only with DHS authorization"in Social security card means?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello!

I am a newbie here in this forum.I've joined because I find it helpful in my status..I'm just confused now because I received my social security card that says, "valid for work only with DHS authorization"?What does that mean?I came here in a K1 visa and I recently got married but when I applied for my SSn after marriage they did not issue my SSn on my married name although I showed the original marriage certificate. They told me to report my name change to USCIS first and come back later..I called USCIS but no one answers..Is my SSN valid if I appled for my permanent RN license here in California?please help..I'm confused..thank you!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This means that in order to obtain employement the employers will need to also see a EAD ( work permit ) or your green card. Having the SSN however allows you to be able to open back accounts , maybe get a licesene etc.

Welcome to VJ

Edited by NArocks

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Other Timeline

You need an Employment Authorization Document or your greencard from the Service to go along with your restricted Social Security card in order to be legally employed.

That's what the wording on the card means.

Any license California may give you to work as an RN is merely approval from them as to your educational credentials. It isn't proof you are legally employable.

This means that in order to obtain employement the employers will need to also see a EAD ( work permit ) or your green card. Having the SSN however allows you to be able to open back accounts , maybe get a licesene etc.

Welcome to VJ

.......and to contribute to the Social Security system?..............

Edited by rebeccajo

Should probably add that once you have a green card, you can (should!) go back to the SSA and get that wording removed from your card.

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

I believe that you are REQUIRED to return to the SSN office and notify them of your status change.

At least that is what is on their website...

-P

Should probably add that once you have a green card, you can (should!) go back to the SSA and get that wording removed from your card.
Edited by PhiLandShiR

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: Timeline
I believe that you are REQUIRED to return to the SSN office and notify them of your status change.

-P

There is nothing that requires a person to apply for an unrestricted SSN card once they become a permanent resident or U.S. citizen. Now I suggest that you do it to save from hassles with people that don't understand the reason for the restriction.

I thought that too but when I went to the SSA site last night to check before I posted, I couldn't find where it said that. I'm sure I heard that from somewhere official though.

07/18/08 - Married

Removal of Conditions

I thought that too but when I went to the SSA site last night to check before I posted, I couldn't find where it said that. I'm sure I heard that from somewhere official though.

Yeah show me where it says you MUST apply for an unrestricted SSN card.

Well yeah, but that's just a technicality really, isn't it? The only obvious way to tell them that your immigration status has changed is by filing an SS-5, resulting in a new card, which by virtue of your LPR status, won't have the restriction.

07/18/08 - Married

Removal of Conditions

Well yeah, but that's just a technicality really, isn't it? The only obvious way to tell them that your immigration status has changed is by filing an SS-5, resulting in a new card, which by virtue of your LPR status, won't have the restriction.

I agree that it makes sense to apply for it, but saying it's required is not true.

Filed: Other Timeline

Does the SS office take the restricted card back from you when you file for the unrestricted version?

Asking because I really don't remember.........I was looking around the house last night for the DH's old restricted card and can't find it. He thinks they took it from him, but he's not sure...........

I still have my old one - did not bring it with me to the SSA office when I asked for the updated one.

Likewise. She asked me to turn it over though. I just said I didn't have it immediately to hand and she went ahead anyway. They cannot deny you the new card so whatever they ask for can only be a request.

07/18/08 - Married

Removal of Conditions

Does the SS office take the restricted card back from you when you file for the unrestricted version?

Asking because I really don't remember.........I was looking around the house last night for the DH's old restricted card and can't find it. He thinks they took it from him, but he's not sure...........

The office might ask for it, but you are not required to give it back. In fact I would never give it back until I received the new one. Say the dog ate it. LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.