spectheintro

Seeking some clarity on the expedition process.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hey all--

The expedite tips thread hasn't been updated in a while, and as far as I can tell it is mostly discussing deployment-related expedition: there isn't a lot of guidance given to how to request expedition for a spouse with an extreme emergent situation. I called the USCIS to ask them how to do this, they said they could put the request in for me themselves, but I was summarily denied (literally, the following day I had an email saying I did not qualify) after explaining my situation. I never sent a letter or anything of the sort; the entirety of my request was handled over the phone. I get the sneaking suspicion that this is not the way expedition is supposed to proceed, but I can't seem to find instructions on where to send a letter with evidence supporting my request for expedition. (Or if I'm supposed to contact my Senator first.)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? My wife lives in Iran and for the time being, things look ok, but for two weeks in June I was literally terrified something was going to happen to her. If the situation flares up again I want to know exactly what I'm supposed to do in order to have a real expedition request, as opposed to the "thanks but no thanks" way it was handled this time. Honestly I would complain to someone, except for fear that anything I do could adversely impact my wife's petition, and I would sooner kill myself than make it more difficult for her to come here.

Edited by spectheintro

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

There arent any instructions on the USCIS website, but it says to call CS and ask "where or how to SEND" a request. Perhaps those are the key swords when calling. :unsure:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0000ecd190aRCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0000ecd190aRCRD

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline
Expedites are only accepted -from what I have read here over the years- to members of the Armed Forces who will be deployed. Civil unrest in any country does not mean expedite.

Len: my general impression has been the same, but I know that Zayd was able to expedite his I-130 for his wife in Pakistan, during the unrest there last year. So there is some mechanism for doing so. I just don't know how to begin the process.

Y's: yes, I think I would have been better off seeking instruction on how to file the expedition request, as opposed to allowing her to put it in over the phone. But the way she explained it to me, it seemed like someone from the CSC would call me and instruct me on what to do next--I was waiting to be told where to send information. Instead, I received a denial. Needless to say, I was very upset. I wish there were more clear guidelines on what an "extreme emergent situation" entails--is people being shot in the street not extreme enough? There's no clarification whatsoever.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi,

What's going to happen in two weeks time in Iran? sorry for this irrelevant question... but I'm living in Tehran and I'm just curious to know if some thing serious is going to happen I would follow your steps and ask for expedition also!

I'm counting the seconds...

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

I-129F Sent : 2009-04-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-07

NVC Received : 2009-08-10

NVC Left : 2009-08-14

Consulate Received : 2009-08-17

Packet 3 & 4 Received : 2009-09-20

Interview Date : 2009-12-21

Rescheduled the date to: 2010-01-24

Interview Result :put on an AP

Visa Approved: 2010-02-11

Visa Received :2010-03-16

US Entry : 2010-03-18

Marriage : 2010-05-25

CHECK MY TIME LINE FOR REST OF INFO.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My impression is that the more dire the circumstances for the person abroad, the more likely the success of the petition to expidite. For example, if a person lived at the epicenter of all sorts of violence and unrest that would be more compelling than living in the farthest reaches of that same province. Or if a person was a member of a group that was being persecuted.

Again, just impressions from my reading, not from any actual experience.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
Hi,

What's going to happen in two weeks time in Iran? sorry for this irrelevant question... but I'm living in Tehran and I'm just curious to know if some thing serious is going to happen I would follow your steps and ask for expedition also!

Elham:

Sorry if my previous post was unclear: I was referring to the previous two weeks, specifically the aftermath of the elections. For the time being things seem to have improved. But as I'm sure you know, the Jomhuri-Islami is in a very precarious position right now, and frankly I'm not confident that Tehran will stay quiet. If in fact widespread protests begin again, I want to be able to apply for expedition immediately, and do it right this time.

I think I may call the USCIS again and just ask how to submit an expedite request via fax or mail. If things stay fairly stable in Iran, I won't need to file again, but if anything happens I want to be ready.

Timeline
My impression is that the more dire the circumstances for the person abroad, the more likely the success of the petition to expidite. For example, if a person lived at the epicenter of all sorts of violence and unrest that would be more compelling than living in the farthest reaches of that same province. Or if a person was a member of a group that was being persecuted.

That is my impression too, but I don't know *how* to request the expedite. The phone process was a complete joke--they didn't ask where she lived, if there were extenuating circumstances, nothing. I was never asked for more information. Assuming things flare up, I was hoping someone could tell me where I'm supposed to send or fax an expedite request package, so I can prove to them that the situation in Iran qualifies for expedition. (My wife didn't leave her house for a week. If this isn't an emergent situation, I don't know what is--if a person in question actively fears for his/her life, then expedition is silly: they should get on a plane and request refugee/asylum status on American soil. That is why the asylum/refugee program exists.)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

That is my impression too, but I don't know *how* to request the expedite. The phone process was a complete joke--they didn't ask where she lived, if there were extenuating circumstances, nothing. I was never asked for more information. Assuming things flare up, I was hoping someone could tell me where I'm supposed to send or fax an expedite request package, so I can prove to them that the situation in Iran qualifies for expedition. (My wife didn't leave her house for a week. If this isn't an emergent situation, I don't know what is--if a person in question actively fears for his/her life, then expedition is silly: they should get on a plane and request refugee/asylum status on American soil. That is why the asylum/refugee program exists.)

Please talk to a customer representative and ask them to create an expedite!!!! Dont go by the automated system... And put all the details in the expedite request when the customer representative asks for it...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

If you let it run its natural course its better for you as well as your wife, you can't expedite it unless you are in Army and you are getting deployed very soon, which in most cases they need all the documantations.

I'm sure they are aware the situation in Iran and no one cares and nothing is going to happen to the people and if you tell them my wife is in danger, later on at the time your interview they will ask her what did you do and is like opening the new can of worm.

Its better for all of us(most Iranians) to pray not put in Administrative Processing as they put most Iranian on AP at the time if Interview which if they do, they wont even answer your questions over the phone or mail, even your congers man can't do any thing!

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.