bowflex

Actually had a Mean, Arrogant Canadian Border Guard

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Canada hires a lot of Students to act as Border agents during the summer!! Sorry about ur bad incident

Really!? You'd think the amount of time to train a BG would take the whole summer. I can't believe that!

Absolutely! I had a friend 2nd year of university who got a job at the Peace Bridge working as an immigrations officer in the refugee unit. She had the power to approve or deny refugee claims and had little to no outside background or knowledge about the countries and cases she was dealing with. Not to be completely mean, but this was a girl who barely passed, couldn't write if her life depended on it, and ended up having to take a 3 year pass because she flunked out of her honours. Its all very arbitrary!

This blows my mind. I was employed by the government during the summer in transportation. But, shite, immigration? This has really disturbed me.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Me too.... I think you need intense training and education to become a BG. Not just thrown into it for 3 months

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

And it's not because we have a biased view of what goes into immigration, either. Would you hire a summer student as a cop? :lol: They both enforce the law!

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know a girl who was BG at Pearson for the summer. It's actually not that easy to get hired, they go through intense testing to make it and many many students do not make it through the hiring process. She told me that she actually had no power to do anything but they were just there to screen people and if they thought something was shady they would make them go to secondary. She was mostly just looking for people they could get for customs duty to make some $$.

I highly doubt that a summer student would make any major immigration decisions without someone more senior involved. Just like any government organizations, there are a lot of hoops to go through.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Well, I can tell you that I have 3 family members who work as border guards and I applied for a summer position back in my first year of university. It wasn't easy to get hired, no, but there was also nothing I went through that made me feel as though I would have been prepared to handle immigration matters either. They make you take a test, which is very similar to an IQ test, that has a few immigration related questions, but is mostly general knowledge/perception/memory testing. As far as training goes, its a wopping 2 weeks. You are transfered between stations. So one hour you work at the both, another hour you work at customs etc. Students aren't given absolute power, no, but my friend who was transfered to the refugee unit had far to much power for someone with that little training and experience... at least, from the stories she told me. She would come to school on monday and say, "oh I turned away a family from Eritrea yesterday," as if it was something to bost about.

Where is your wife from originally? The war first started in Slovenia (kind of a blitzkrieg there as they kicked Yugoslav army out in early 1991 in maybe two weeks time) then in Croatia - 1991 and then Bosnia - March 1992. I have no idea why would a Canadian immigration officer take it out at your wife - I hope she is ok now.

My wife is originally from Kikinda and grew up in Uzdin until first grade when her family moved to the States (1991). Her father was in the army as mandated but once the cleansing really went into the mainstream and was being required by the army they got out as fast as possible.

Wait, both Kikinda and Uzdin are in Serbia, right? Is her family ethnically Romanian or Hungarian? (Not sure about Kikinda, but Uzdin is a majority ethnically Romanian village in the Vojvodina region of Serbia)...we have some good friends from Uzdin, that's why I know. :) The Vojvodina region has significant minority popultions (Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks, Croats and Roma among others)....I didn't know 'ethnic cleansing' was particularly significant in that area, but but to some extent or another, all of former Yugoslavia has suffered under that practice. :(

I'm sorry for your poor wife. (F)

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline

Oh, I agree Sapphire. I am not assuming of course that these kids would be making the final decision on anything. But just the fact that they are there to look for suspicious people. I have been a government worker since I was 16 years old and I understand federal and provincial and now state level policy pretty well. I don't think I could have been in that position though.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
And it's not because we have a biased view of what goes into immigration, either. Would you hire a summer student as a cop? :lol: They both enforce the law!

WELL, they actually do that I belive at ocean city!!! or some beach area in MD or VA!! They hire University kids, put them thru a police boot camp,then they walk the boardwalk area and have ful police authority, even a gun! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
As far as training goes, its a wopping 2 weeks

I had more training at my historical village site where I worked for 6 months. :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

WELL, they actually do that I belive at ocean city!!! or some beach area in MD or VA!! They hire University kids, put them thru a police boot camp,then they walk the boardwalk area and have ful police authority, even a gun! lol

We have that, too, at the Jersey shore. They are volunteer police. But they are not given weapons as far as I know. If they are, that's insane.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was suprised they armed the,. but on the news segment, they showed them at the gun range and stated in all the yrs they have run the program, the rental cop has never shot anyone

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

:lol:

Rent-a-cop.

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.