bowflex

Actually had a Mean, Arrogant Canadian Border Guard

57 posts in this topic

Wow that was an insane change of pace this last weekend Lol. My wife and I were going to visit her family on Saturday through the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel and got called into secondary like every single time and were called into a nice little interview room that very much reminded me of the room in the Montreal Consulate. The lady sits down on the other side of the window and proceeds to inform us of my wife's status in Canada (her parents are now permanent residents there but my wife came over to the States on the CR-1 visa back in June of 2007 so she was removed from their case). While holding my wife's American permanent resident card she proceeded to tell my wife that she should know that she can't apply for status in Canada ever again since she removed herself from the process before. We let her know that we were made aware of that and it was okay as my wife will eventually go for citizenship in the States when she's eligible.

The women then felt like telling us that my wife's family shouldn't have been allowed to enter the States (back in 1991) or Canada (back in 2004) anyway since there was "nothing going on in Yugoslavia at that time" and that it would be like her, as a Canadian, deciding to move to California and claiming that she was a refugee. Now I'm very aware that saying anything with an attitude or something like that could only cause problems later for us when trying to visit her family so we both just sat there and took her onslaught of uneducated garbage, but it's just funny how someone like that wouldn't know how disrespectful they were being.

I've been finding it more and more amazing lately how some people think that they're more deserving or important than someone else just because their parents got liquored up and decided to have unprotected sex on a certain place of land within some made-up borders LOL. My poor wife broke down into tears a few hours later while we were all eating dinner since this kinda garbage has been happening to her and her family for the entire 18 years since they left Europe and it just really boiled me up. Sorry for the long post, had to vent :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really too bad that you and your wife had to sit through that bowflex - totally unnecessary.

I usually can just blow it off as we're called into secondary on the American-side everytime but it was new getting the attitude from the "nice" side of the border haha.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canada hires a lot of Students to act as Border agents during the summer!! Sorry about ur bad incident

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's ridiculous.

My best friend is from the former Yugoslavia and came to Canada in 1994. They went through SUCH hardships to even get out of what is now Bosnia and how dare someone make any comments about what years had conflict vs what years didn't.

I would report her if you could, bowflex.

Canada hires a lot of Students to act as Border agents during the summer!! Sorry about ur bad incident

Are you serious? We have summer students in our office and some of them can hardly put 2 and 2 together and they are leaving it up to student's to decide on someone's immigration fate? :blink:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Where is your wife from originally? The war first started in Slovenia (kind of a blitzkrieg there as they kicked Yugoslav army out in early 1991 in maybe two weeks time) then in Croatia - 1991 and then Bosnia - March 1992. I have no idea why would a Canadian immigration officer take it out at your wife - I hope she is ok now.

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

That's ridiculous.

My best friend is from the former Yugoslavia and came to Canada in 1994. They went through SUCH hardships to even get out of what is now Bosnia and how dare someone make any comments about what years had conflict vs what years didn't.

I would report her if you could, bowflex.

Are you serious? We have summer students in our office and some of them can hardly put 2 and 2 together and they are leaving it up to student's to decide on someone's immigration fate? :blink:

I really wanted to try to find a book at the Windsor library and go back showing her about the genocide that was going on, or maybe go with the fact that America was bombing the living ####### out of that country, but I just decided I'd enjoy some barbeque and curse her under my breath later in the day LOL.

I'm always very wary of reporting immigration people now since we did that with the Consul that completely mistreated us in Montreal. She ended up creating a separate alien number for my wife after she had the visa issued and now that is causing SO MUCH problems for us now. When we're called into secondary and they're reading through my wife's file they always bring up that we had our Senator file a complaint against her and they laugh. The guards are usually pretty nice but it's rough for sure haha

Where is your wife from originally? The war first started in Slovenia (kind of a blitzkrieg there as they kicked Yugoslav army out in early 1991 in maybe two weeks time) then in Croatia - 1991 and then Bosnia - March 1992. I have no idea why would a Canadian immigration officer take it out at your wife - I hope she is ok now.

My wife is originally from Kikinda and grew up in Uzdin until first grade when her family moved to the States (1991). Her father was in the army as mandated but once the cleansing really went into the mainstream and was being required by the army they got out as fast as possible.

I am so sorry, Bowflex. We all know that was totally unnecessary and uncalled for. Your poor wife has endured so much. :(

Thank you very much for this :) My wife always says that people give her so much grief because she's so tiny (5 2ish at the most haha). I told her she just needs to start learning how to walk around on stilts Lol

Timeline

Really!? You'd think the amount of time to train a BG would take the whole summer. I can't believe that!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Border guards are notorious of saying things like that, like "There was nothing going on there". They don't even know themselves, but they just use that for intimidation purposes to make you sweat. I hear about that quite often where they'll pull something dumb out like that just to get a scare from the people, when this happens sometimes the person might divuldge some important things that they were hiding from the border guard under stress. So it's a common tactic to use.

I knew one of my friends in college worked at the Detroit/Windsor bridge in his summers off school...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

If someone 18 year old kid told me I was inadmissible to the United States, I'd probably kick him in the balls.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Really!? You'd think the amount of time to train a BG would take the whole summer. I can't believe that!

Absolutely! I had a friend 2nd year of university who got a job at the Peace Bridge working as an immigrations officer in the refugee unit. She had the power to approve or deny refugee claims and had little to no outside background or knowledge about the countries and cases she was dealing with. Not to be completely mean, but this was a girl who barely passed, couldn't write if her life depended on it, and ended up having to take a 3 year pass because she flunked out of her honours. Its all very arbitrary!

Sorry you had to deal with that Bowflex. That guard was obviously very unaware of the turmoil in the Bulkans during the early 1990's.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.