chennaisen

Affidavit of Support I-864 and proving domicile

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

I have my interview on 6th August, have few doubts on I-864 and proving domicile for my wife,

My In-laws and my wife (American Citizens) moved to India (due to my FIL's health reason) before 5 years, and have been living here since then, my FIL took an early retirement and sold his property in the USA and moved all his funds to India, He built a big house here, I got married to my wife on 23rd March 2008, she was in her final year UG at that time, now she wants to study her PG in the US, so they want to move back to the US, My FIL sold his house here in india and transfered the money back to the US, even my In-laws have gone back to the US.

Sorry for the long story.....

Well my question is that

1) My In-laws did not file tax retuns for the past five years, since he did not get any income in the US, but now has transfered a huge amount to built a house over there, can he be our co-sponsor

2) If that is not possible can i add my wifes grand father as a co-sponsor, he is a professor, will his age be considered, since he is almost 70 now.

3) Can i show my property as a evidence for the affidavit

4) Since my wife was a student( till last year) she did not file her tax returns, how should she fill her I-864 form

5) Since my wife was in India for the past 5 years, how will she prove her domicile, she went to the US for one month last year , there she gave up her Indian driving license to get an American driving license, will they accept it as an evidence

6) She does not have any property in her name, everything is in his parents name, can she show the property sales deed of the house that they sold in India, they shipped all the stuffs, including my things to the US, but that booking is also is in my In-laws name, can we show this information for proving her domicile.

I am getting really stressed out while thinking about these issues, Could some one please give me advice as of what to do....

Thanks for Patiently reading my story.

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

If your parents-in-law can't meet the income requirements but your grandfather-in-law can then he could be the co-sponsor. Your wife would fill out the I-864 and the Grandfather would fill out the I-864a. You should show all the proof you can for your wife to prove domicile, ie., her driver's license, evidence of the parents selling the house in India and shipping everyone's things, evidence that she will be studying in the US, etc. The more info. you include the better.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Hi,

Well first, your In Laws can use assets (savings, collateral, etc) for the I864. You'll have to check the amount needed, but if they have a large amount, I'm sure it will be ok.

To prove domicile, your wife can show her license, but something better would be a letter of acceptance to a University, showing that she plans to study in the US. Bank statements, bills, etc are also good proof of domicile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Maybe her parents can put her on the lease of their house, or add her on the utility bills. That would be easily solved. I'm listed as a part owner of my parents house, and I have a shared bank account with my dad.

On her I864 she should write a note explaining why she did not file taxes. She can state that she was a student and did not have an income. Then show proof of this.

Her grandfather can be a second co-sponsor, and his age doesn't matter. As long as you prove that they have enough income to support you it should be fine.

Timeline

Hi all,

I would like to thank you all for your valuable replies, The information was really usefull.

My Present Status:

1. One of my In-laws friend has told that he will be a Co-sponsor( Will that be a issue, since he is just a family friend)

2. My In-laws have added my wife's name in the lease of their rented house

3. My in-law is going to add my wife to his bank account.

Well every thing is getting into shape now, hope thing work out well.

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline
Hi all,

I would like to thank you all for your valuable replies, The information was really usefull.

My Present Status:

1. One of my In-laws friend has told that he will be a Co-sponsor( Will that be a issue, since he is just a family friend)

The only requirement to being a joint sponsor is that they be a US Citizen. They do not have to be related to you, so yes, your family friend can be a joint sponsor.

Timeline
Hi all,

My Present Status:

The only requirement to being a joint sponsor is that they be a US Citizen. They do not have to be related to you, so yes, your family friend can be a joint sponsor.

Thanks a lot txladykat :thumbs: .........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.