BelwinMills

Aunt on Vistors Visa?? How long can they stay?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
well just to answer the duration question.. i think on a visitor visa, it is 6 mnths at a time.. my SO has a 10 yr visitor visa from Jamaica.. and he can stay up to that long..i don't know if its different timeframe for each case.

Each case is treated differently.

From the USCIS website; http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Qualifying for a Visa

Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

* The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;

* They plan to remain for a specific, limited period; and

* They have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

Alien truck drivers may qualify for admission as B-1 visitors for business to pick up or deliver cargo traveling in the stream of international commerce. Please see How Do I Enter the United States as a Commercial Truck Driver for more information.

Passing through a U.S. Port of Entry

Applicants should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. Immigration authorities have the authority to deny admission, and determine the period for which the bearer of a visitor visa is authorized to remain in the United States.

thanks.. but my post doesn't discuss anything about the qualification of visitor visas or the likelihood of getting thru the port if u have one cuz thats not what she asked..

the posters first question, which i am responding to, was "how long can u stay on a visitor visa" thats all i am addressing giving my exp since nobody else has addressed it as of yet.. but just gave alot of legality and judgement.

thanks for the info, i guess u mention it just in case somebody doesn't know about the visa since it wasn't asked.. but the possiblity of not getting thru is not gonna keep anybody from using a visa IF they get it.. and in Jamaica (where her MIL will be coming from) visas are granted everyday w/ no ties and then denied w/ PLENTY of ties, no rhyme or reason in JA, but as u are informing, JUST IN CASE she didn't know i suppose.. those are the rules..

belwin mills i guess others that might be interested in general info regarding work and visitor visas may benefit from answers to ur post so its all good , maybe ur specific questions could be answered elsewhere..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.