Huskvarna

Applying for marriage license, 1 question!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend since 4 years and I just got engaged (!), so I am just starting my journey!! :) We are about to apply for a marriage license, and then get married in mid august. What paperwork do I need in order to get married here in the U.S (or even to apply for the marriage license)? Do I need any papers from country in order to legally marry my girlfriend here?

I am from Sweden

I am here in the U.S on an F-1 VISA, currently on OPT working full time.

Thank you very much! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

/Mort

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I just got married on F-1 visa, and you don't need any specific paperwork to do so. When you go get a marriage license, you just need to bring a proper ID (passport or state ID for you) and a driver's license for your fiancee. You just fill out a form where you give them your names, age, or date of birth, SSN (I didn't have one), and that's it. Surprisingly, no one even asked us for ID's, even though they asked a couple in front of us :)

When you get married, just have your ID with you just in case, otherwise, you don't need nything else.

2-year green card application:

07/29/2009- Mailed I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-864A, G-325A, I-765 via USPS.

08/02/2009- Package delivered to Chicago.

08/06/2009- Checks cashed.

08/10/2009- Received NOA's for I-485, I-130, I-765 (issued August 6th).

08/19/2009- Recieved Biometrics Appointment notice (bio apt 9/12 at 9am).

08/21/2009- Recieved RFE for I-485 (issued August 17th).

08/22/2009- Responded to RFE.

09/01/2009- Case processing resumed (RFE recieved on 8/27/2009).

09/01/2009- Walk-in biometrics at 1:00pm, in and out in 15mins.

09/09/2009- Recieved e-mail: EAD card production ordered on 09/08/2009.

09/14/2009- Recieved another e-mail: EAD card production ordered (AGAIN!) on 09/11/2009.

09/16/2009- EAD recieved in the mail.

09/21/2009- Applied for a SSN.

09/30/2009- Recieved SSC.

10/14/2009- Received interview notice (Interview on 11/16 at 9:35am)

11/16/2009- Interview,APPROVED and CARD production ordered e-mail!Yay!

11/19/2009- Welcome Notice Recieved and Card production ordered e-mail again!

11/27/2009- Received green card in the mail!

Removal of Conditions:

09/09/2011- Sent the package via Priority mail, with delivery confirmation.

09/12/2011- Package delivered.

09/13/2011- Check cashed.

09/14/2011- NOA issued and received on 09/17/2011.

09/15/2011- Biometrics appointment issued for 10/05

11/21/2011- Card production ordered.

The US does not have uniform marriage laws from place to place. Each state sets its own requirements.

The best bet is to contact the county clerk, county recorder, or similar official for the place where you will be getting married, explain the situation, and ask what the requirements are.

Many places will just require a photo ID. Your passport will probably be all you need.

Some states require a social security number, but as far as I know, they will waive that requirement if you are ineligible to get a social security number. But you may have to ask.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Timeline

You got the correct advise, but I'd like to add something.

When my wife and I had our interview, the most important things the IO wanted to see is photo albums. We had one from the wedding and reception and one with "other" photos.

So have a nice wedding, and make sure you celebrate in style and have photos documenting it. A photo says more than a thousand words.

All the best to you.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi everyone!

My girlfriend since 4 years and I just got engaged (!), so I am just starting my journey!! :) We are about to apply for a marriage license, and then get married in mid august. What paperwork do I need in order to get married here in the U.S (or even to apply for the marriage license)? Do I need any papers from country in order to legally marry my girlfriend here?

I am from Sweden

I am here in the U.S on an F-1 VISA, currently on OPT working full time.

Thank you very much! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

/Mort

Most states, all you need is show your passport, and she her DL, and I think my wife also had to tell the clerk her social security number.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
You got the correct advise, but I'd like to add something.

When my wife and I had our interview, the most important things the IO wanted to see is photo albums. We had one from the wedding and reception and one with "other" photos.

So have a nice wedding, and make sure you celebrate in style and have photos documenting it. A photo says more than a thousand words.

All the best to you.

JustBob, me and the wife married in jeans and boots in front of the courthouse, with a retired justice of the peace performing the ceremony, and all the pics we have from that came from my cell phone. We did make an album from these, but also from actually doing other stuff together.

All in all, the nice, stylish wedding set us back about $250, incl. license and dinner afterwards. We're planning on having a re-wedding in the near future, but the one to start the legal process was more about love and commitment than lavish celebrations.

Not sure about Minnesota, but in NY you need both a photo ID and birth certificate. My husband's birth certificate was in German, English and French - if yours doesn't have English, you might want to bring a translation, too, to be on the safe side.

Christian & Erika

10/10/06 - We meet in an online forum.

4/23/07 - We are officially a couple. <3

7/17/07 - First meeting in person - Rochester NY (several visits back and forth follow).

12/15/08 - Our daughter, Annika, is born.

4/1/09 - Christian comes to visit on the VWP (5th visit to US, POE is Newark, no hassles).

5/26/09 - We get married! Small wedding, planned in a month, but very nice. :)

Adjustment of Status

7/3/09 -- Mailed I-485,I-130,I-765,I-131, Medical - certified mail

7/6/09 -- Delivery confirmation on USPS website

7/14/09 -- Receipts arrive.

7/16/09 -- Can pull up case with receipt numbers on USCIS website.

7/25/09 -- RFE. Our joint sponsor did not provide proof of citizenship or enough proof of his income.

8/17/09 -- Received AP document.

8/19/09 -- Biometrics appointment.

8/28/09 -- Received EAD card.

9/29/09 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!

10/3/09 -- Welcome letter.

10/9/09 -- Green card in hand!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My husband and I got married in Florida, all they wanted to see was my Swedish passport.

Call or Email the Swedish Tax department and ask them to send you a birth certificate a.k.a. a "Personbevis 120 med alla relationer" in English, you cannot order that particular form online. It is also a good idea to ask them to attest (vidimera) it to make it look more "official" as Americans loves stamps. If you are going to adjust status in the U.S. you might want to ask them to send two copies just in case since you will have to have one copy for the AOS process.

Btw. the marriage will be recognized by Swedish authorities but send a copy of the marriage certificate to the National Registration office at the Tax Department (Folkbokföringen på Skatteverket) in Sweden.

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Here is link I hope helps you. All the best.

http://marriage.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsi...s%2F%3Fid%3D517

You need 517.08 on the page

Edited by furiousng

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline
My husband and I got married in Florida, all they wanted to see was my Swedish passport.

Call or Email the Swedish Tax department and ask them to send you a birth certificate a.k.a. a "Personbevis 120 med alla relationer" in English, you cannot order that particular form online. It is also a good idea to ask them to attest (vidimera) it to make it look more "official" as Americans loves stamps. If you are going to adjust status in the U.S. you might want to ask them to send two copies just in case since you will have to have one copy for the AOS process.

Btw. the marriage will be recognized by Swedish authorities but send a copy of the marriage certificate to the National Registration office at the Tax Department (Folkbokföringen på Skatteverket) in Sweden.

Tack så mycket för att du tog dig tid att svara på min post! Uppskattas verkligen!

You may call or visit your nearest County Clerk Office to inquire for the requirements.

But in my experience, the Clerk just asked for my passport and visa then my husband's

valid ID.

Marly

---------------------------------

For updates, please visit my Websites: Workplace On the Web, Mhar's Display, Any Day Shop, A Blogger's Tech Notes, Bright Bundles, Emotionally Entertaining

My Friendster: MarlyM

Want Extra Cash? Click: Hits4Pay, ClixSense,

FortWorthStockyards5-23-08.jpg

At Fort Worth Stockyards

---------------------------------

April 12, 2008 - Wedding, Rose Garden (Tyler, TX)

May 23, 2008 - mailed AOS packet to Chicago Lockbox

June 7, 2008 - NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131 received

June 9, 2008 - Received ASC letter

June 24, 2008 - Biometrics appointment in Fort Worth

July 9, 2008 - AOS transferred to CA

July 28, 2008 - AOS approved

Aug. 5, 2008 - GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.