april akbal

CR-1 vs. K-3.....help!!!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone! I just want to say that I spend entirely too much time on VJ but I think this is the best website for visa info. I am so confused about this entire process and I could really use some advice!

I live in the US and my fiance lives in Turkey. We are debating on whether or not we should file for the K-1 visa or for me to go back to Turkey and for us to marry there and file for his visa there. If we decided on the latter, is a CR-1 better than a K-1? Or are the the same?

Also, I don't meet the requirements as far as the income goes, so I'm guessing he'll need a 2nd sponsor whether we go the k-1 route or the k-3/CR-1 route.

I know I'm not the first person to say this, but being apart from him is tearing us both to pieces. We were going to go the K-1 route but decided we just don't want to wait x amount of months to be together again.

I'm just trying to figure out how difficult the visa process would be if I went back to Turkey and we married there.

Thanks!

Hi everyone! I just want to say that I spend entirely too much time on VJ but I think this is the best website for visa info. I am so confused about this entire process and I could really use some advice!

I live in the US and my fiance lives in Turkey. We are debating on whether or not we should file for the K-1 visa or for me to go back to Turkey and for us to marry there and file for his visa there. If we decided on the latter, is a CR-1 better than a K-1? Or are the the same?

Also, I don't meet the requirements as far as the income goes, so I'm guessing he'll need a 2nd sponsor whether we go the k-1 route or the k-3/CR-1 route.

I know I'm not the first person to say this, but being apart from him is tearing us both to pieces. We were going to go the K-1 route but decided we just don't want to wait x amount of months to be together again.

I'm just trying to figure out how difficult the visa process would be if I went back to Turkey and we married there.

Thanks!

Read the guides, but briefly:

K-3 is not recommended. (it has the worst parts of both the K-1 and CR-1 and no real benefit these days).

K-1 will get the foreigner to the US quicker, though they won't be able to work and do certain things for several months after arriving. K-1 is also more expensive.

CR-1 will take a few months longer, but the foreigner will have Green Card status upon entering the US. It is also a little cheaper.

Which one to choose depends on your priorities.

Edited by Ed+Cindy

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

CR-1 is WAY better than K visa. No need to go thru all the hassel and cost of adjusting status that is required for K visas.

Once a CR-1 has their visa in hand they are basically free of any more immigration ####### for a couple years.

They are more protected also as if the petitioner should go belly up they still have a excellent chance of staying in the US where a K visa doesn't until after they do AOS and get their GC. CR-1 gets their GC in the mail within a short time of arrival. SS card also.

LOTS of other reasons CRs are safer and better visas than Ks.

Only reason Ks "may" be a little better is they may be a month or 2 faster. Things slow WAY down when they get to the US. They even stand a chance of being deported if AOS doesn't go properly.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Ok. Thanks for your advice! I have a million more question, but I'll keep it short.....

Do I have to come back to the U.S. while he stays in Turkey to wait for his visa if we file the CR-1? I know it states that the U.S. citizen needs a domicile in the U.S....but how do you do that if you live in another country?

Ok. Thanks for your advice! I have a million more question, but I'll keep it short.....

Do I have to come back to the U.S. while he stays in Turkey to wait for his visa if we file the CR-1? I know it states that the U.S. citizen needs a domicile in the U.S....but how do you do that if you live in another country?

If you live there - as in, you are LEGAL to reside there, and have for more than 6 months, you can do Direct Consular Filing.

If you think this is the route for you, check with the DCF folks in their forum, perhaps the USC's parents' address will do.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

If you live there - as in, you are LEGAL to reside there, and have for more than 6 months, you can do Direct Consular Filing.

If you think this is the route for you, check with the DCF folks in their forum, perhaps the USC's parents' address will do.

My husband and I went the DCF CR-1 route, but I had been living in Turkey for 3+ years. You have to be a legal resident for 6 months to be able to file in Turkey, but I have to say, our process was done within 4 months (applied, received interview date, interviewed, got approved -- see my timeline). The nice thing about filing there and entering the US on the CR-1 was that he received his SSN 2 weeks after we entered the country and his green card a few weeks after that.

Our Timeline

DCF - I-130

4/10/08 - Married in Istanbul!

5/14/08 - Sent I-130 to Ankara via UPS

5/15/08 - Packet arrived in Ankara at US Embassy

6/2/08 - Received email from Embassy, our interview is schedule for 8/11/08

8/11/08 - Interview at US Embassy in Ankara, I-130 APPROVED!!!!!!

8/13/08 - Visa RECEIVED.....

11/7/08 - Flew from Istanbul to Denver (via JFK)

11/21/08 - SSN received in mail

12/18/08 - Green Card received!!!

I-751 (lifting conditions)

8/10/10 - Sent to California Processing Center

8/20/10 - Received AOS letter

8/26/10 - NOA received biometrics appointment notification

9/16/10 - Biometrics Appointment in San Francisco

10/7/10 - Approved!

Citizenship

1/24/12 - Date filed

5/30/12 - Oath Ceremony!!!!

Adios, USCIS!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.