italy to USA

I-864 particular situation

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We filed DCF in London. Husband is USC but living in UK and had never filed US tax returns. Didn't know he needed to. He had to file 3 years tax returns as minimum before we had the interview. We were asked for them, even though all of our financial proof was on assets, rather than income. So my advice would be to file the missing returns late, just so you are up to date with all tax returns. That way, it won't come back to bite you.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice. I have already taken the steps and filed for the time that I was here. Like your husband, I really had no clue that I needed to still report to the IRS as I am a resident in Italy. As you know, they dont let you do anything without having to inform them. I really dislike it. However, I will play by their rules if it means getting this taken care of.

IRS filing rules are based on citizenship, not residency. This enables you to continue to vote and have recourse in the US while outside the country.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
Hey --- if you have the letter of appointment from the University it might do the trick --- contact HR and ask for it (the one with income statement). I talked to Bren about it and that's how it worked when his mentor moved up to Canada (reverse situation, Fred married a Canadian bla bla bla).

Thanks Len. I do have my appointment letter and we will be showing that when we have our interview.. I'll definitely be letting the VJ folks know how that all went so others can hopefully benefit from our experience.

adios

4-18-09: Married in Italy

7-9-09: Mailed I-130 to US embassy Rome

7-10-09: I-130 recieved

7-20-09: I-130 approved forwarded to consul in Naples

7-30-09: Packet 3 received via e-mail

7-31-09: DS-230 Part 1 faxed to consulate

7-31-09: Packet 4 received via e-mail

8-7-09: Called Naples consulate to schedule interview

9-1-09: Interview (50 days since I-130 received)- APPROVED!!!

thanks VJ

Hey --- if you have the letter of appointment from the University it might do the trick --- contact HR and ask for it (the one with income statement). I talked to Bren about it and that's how it worked when his mentor moved up to Canada (reverse situation, Fred married a Canadian bla bla bla).

Thanks Len. I do have my appointment letter and we will be showing that when we have our interview.. I'll definitely be letting the VJ folks know how that all went so others can hopefully benefit from our experience.

adios

Len has got a great point. When we had our interview in London, we produced photocopies of the tax returns (because they asked for them, even though they showed no US income) then proof of assets. Finally, they were very interested to know what we were both going to do once we moved to the States, so I would have thought the appointment letter would be very useful in your interview.

Good Luck with the interview, and let us know how you get on.... :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.