uniquelyd

Advanced parole warning!!!!!

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Unfortunately, you're going to find the power-mad people in all walks of life and every occupation. It's just a fact of life. Basically, if you have followed the law and have done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to be fearful of. You may hit a few speedbumps along the way but, usually, that is all they are. That is not to say that some may not be unfairly adjudicated.... in the same vein as some innocent people are placed behind bars. It's not a flawless system but, on the whole, it's the best system for its purpose.

iagree.gif

Doesn't this go for just about any visa, or document that allows someone in the United States? This is a problem. If you are authorized to come back, it should be guaranteed, and it shouldn't be at the mercy of some idiot at the checkpoint. This goes for any visa holder, or visa waive out there too. You can spend 1000s of dollars, possibly even your life savings, or what you make in a year to come to the United States, LEGALLY, and be turned away for no reason. Just wrong, sorry for the gripe, but this is a sour subject for me!

The system gives wide discretion to border inspectors, and that's not going to change any time soon. For an example of why, see here http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/26/911.commission/index.html . Before the Sept 11, 2001 hijackings changed our world view, an alert inspector denied entry to a person who had a valid visa but whose story just didn't quite seem plausible. That person has later been identified as the missing "20th terrorist" who was supposed to have been on Flight 93. Who knows exactly how things might have been different if an extra terrorist had been aboard that flight, able to fight off the passengers who stormed the cockpit and brought the plane down in Pennsylvania, short of its target in Washintgon.

The inspectors are the only ones present on the front lines. They must be given the authority to do their jobs and make sure that those entering with visas are complying with the terms of their visas, or those entering with other paperwork are complying with the terms of that paperwork. That's their job, and they've got to be allowed to do it. Otherwise, we could save money by replacing them with computers -- you could swipe your visa through the self-service reader, and the gate would open automatically.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Latvia
Timeline
Doesn't this go for just about any visa, or document that allows someone in the United States? This is a problem. If you are authorized to come back, it should be guaranteed, and it shouldn't be at the mercy of some idiot at the checkpoint. This goes for any visa holder, or visa waive out there too. You can spend 1000s of dollars, possibly even your life savings, or what you make in a year to come to the United States, LEGALLY, and be turned away for no reason. Just wrong, sorry for the gripe, but this is a sour subject for me!

The system gives wide discretion to border inspectors, and that's not going to change any time soon. For an example of why, see here http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/26/911.commission/index.html . Before the Sept 11, 2001 hijackings changed our world view, an alert inspector denied entry to a person who had a valid visa but whose story just didn't quite seem plausible. That person has later been identified as the missing "20th terrorist" who was supposed to have been on Flight 93. Who knows exactly how things might have been different if an extra terrorist had been aboard that flight, able to fight off the passengers who stormed the cockpit and brought the plane down in Pennsylvania, short of its target in Washintgon.

The inspectors are the only ones present on the front lines. They must be given the authority to do their jobs and make sure that those entering with visas are complying with the terms of their visas, or those entering with other paperwork are complying with the terms of that paperwork. That's their job, and they've got to be allowed to do it. Otherwise, we could save money by replacing them with computers -- you could swipe your visa through the self-service reader, and the gate would open automatically.

That's the nature of terrorism. It scares people into exactly that.

However, I'm not talking about security, or potentially violent persons entering the country. I'm talking about folks like us on this board, and our families. People who are visiting on Visa Waivers, other visas, or returning from AP. They should not have to fear being turned away at the border because they look like immigrants, or because they happen to lose their job before coming, or their bank account is at zero, or they don't have any property to prove they have something to go back to...etc. They don't deserve the chance at losing what possibly took them a year or more to save up, just because of a hunch.

Timeline:

03/03/2009 - Arrival in the US!

05/03/2009 - Married!

05/28/2009 - Filed I-130, I-485, I-765!

06/04/2009 - Checks cleared!

06/08/2009 - I-765/I-130 NOA Received!

06/10/2009 - I-485 NOA Received!

06/11/2009 - Biometrics appointment letter, scheduled 06/23/2009

06/17/2009 - I-765/I-130 Touched!

06/19/2009 - Attempted early biometrics... they said nope!

06/23/2009 - Biometrics completed.

07/07/2009 - EAD card production ordered.

07/13/2009 - EAD card production ordered, again.

07/14/2009 - I-765 - Approval notice sent.

07/15/2009 - EAD card received!

07/20/2009 - SS Card applied for.

08/05/2009 - Received Interview letter - Scheduled 9/14!

09/14/2009 - Rescheduled because we moved to Dallas

10/14/2009 - Interview - approved!

10/23/2009 - GC Received.

However, I'm not talking about security, or potentially violent persons entering the country. I'm talking about folks like us on this board, and our families. People who are visiting on Visa Waivers, other visas, or returning from AP. They should not have to fear being turned away at the border because they look like immigrants, or because they happen to lose their job before coming, or their bank account is at zero, or they don't have any property to prove they have something to go back to...etc. They don't deserve the chance at losing what possibly took them a year or more to save up, just because of a hunch.

Those are not hunches-those are quite valid reasons for turning someone away when they arrive, especially if they are traveling on a VWP or Tourist Visa. If you have nothing to go back to, what's to stop you from staying? If the intent is to stay in the US, then people should come in on different types of visas. There are legal avenues for that.

As far as AP goes, it's my understanding that pretty much anyone who applies for it will get it. For example, that means even if you overstay on a VWP for years, you'll still get approved for AP. That doesn't mean you can come back into the US-in fact, you've incurred a ban by leaving the country. I personally don't see a problem with this-if you've chosen to break those rules, those are the consequences that follow.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Latvia
Timeline

What's to stop them from staying? Maybe they like their country better? That isn't unheard of you know. Most people prefer their own country, especially if you are from Europe, or one of the EU countries rather. You are basically saying if someone is poor, by American standards, they don't have right to visit their family here. If a person will be turned away at the border, then don't give them permission to come here. What is so hard about screening these folks while they apply for the Visa Waiver, BEFORE they spend thousands on airfare?

If a person broke the rules, then don't give them the false security of an AP. I don't see a reason for giving everyone AP, if it doesn't mean squat.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand, and why it is acceptable.

Edited by Terry D

Timeline:

03/03/2009 - Arrival in the US!

05/03/2009 - Married!

05/28/2009 - Filed I-130, I-485, I-765!

06/04/2009 - Checks cleared!

06/08/2009 - I-765/I-130 NOA Received!

06/10/2009 - I-485 NOA Received!

06/11/2009 - Biometrics appointment letter, scheduled 06/23/2009

06/17/2009 - I-765/I-130 Touched!

06/19/2009 - Attempted early biometrics... they said nope!

06/23/2009 - Biometrics completed.

07/07/2009 - EAD card production ordered.

07/13/2009 - EAD card production ordered, again.

07/14/2009 - I-765 - Approval notice sent.

07/15/2009 - EAD card received!

07/20/2009 - SS Card applied for.

08/05/2009 - Received Interview letter - Scheduled 9/14!

09/14/2009 - Rescheduled because we moved to Dallas

10/14/2009 - Interview - approved!

10/23/2009 - GC Received.

What's to stop them from staying? Maybe they like their country better? That isn't unheard of you know. Most people prefer their own country, especially if you are from Europe, or one of the EU countries rather. You are basically saying if someone is poor, by American standards, they don't have right to visit their family here. If a person will be turned away at the border, then don't give them permission to come here. What is so hard about screening these folks while they apply for the Visa Waiver, BEFORE they spend thousands on airfare?

If a person broke the rules, then don't give them the false security of an AP. I don't see a reason for giving everyone AP, if it doesn't mean squat.

I see your point, but when in your opinion can a Homeland Security Officer turn back some one who seems suspicious? Even if all the papers are in order, I would rather the border police have the last word when it comes to evaluating/scrutinizing people who cross into the US.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I am not sure that the numbers would support your statement about everyone wanting to go back home.

I do agree with your main point, however. AP seems pretty pointless if they aren't going to actually, yaknow, approve you. I'm not sure what it does myself, since, as has been pointed out, it seems to be approved for everyone.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

I am not sure that the numbers would support your statement about everyone wanting to go back home.

I do agree with your main point, however. AP seems pretty pointless if they aren't going to actually, yaknow, approve you. I'm not sure what it does myself, since, as has been pointed out, it seems to be approved for everyone.

In our case - it allows my wife to return from a visit to her family before her green card is approved - due to the length of time I presume.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

In our case - it allows my wife to return from a visit to her family before her green card is approved - due to the length of time I presume.

Yes, but the point is that it doesn't guarantee one way or the other. Why have this extra thing if they are going to leave it up to the CBP to check if you have a ban - why don't they check those things before issuing AP. What is the AP supposed to do EXCEPT make you jump through extra hoops.

:idea: I just had a random thought, it's so that the people with bans will think it's safe to leave and then they won't let them back in! [/sarcasm] No, USCIS is just complicated, not necessarily devious. :devil:

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, but the point is that it doesn't guarantee one way or the other. Why have this extra thing if they are going to leave it up to the CBP to check if you have a ban - why don't they check those things before issuing AP. What is the AP supposed to do EXCEPT make you jump through extra hoops.

:idea: I just had a random thought, it's so that the people with bans will think it's safe to leave and then they won't let them back in! [/sarcasm] No, USCIS is just complicated, not necessarily devious. :devil:

It's a TRAP!!! :devil:

12/29/2007 Got married in the Philippines
03/28/2008 Got 10yr B1/B2 visa
04/12/2008 Arrived in US under B1/B2 visa
08/06/2008 Filed I-539 visa extension
10/23/2008 I-539 approved
02/23/2009 USC wife filed I-130 Chicago Lockbox
02/26/2009 I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02/27/2009 Medical exam I-693
03/01/2009 Negative result on TB skin test
03/04/2009 I-130 received by California Service Center
03/05/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/06/2009 Medical Exam form I-693 released by civil surgeon
03/07/2009 NOA Receipt Notice for I-130
03/14/2009 Mailed I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765 & I-131 thru USPS
03/16/2009 "The Package" delivered to Chicago Lockbox
03/16/2009 I-94 expired after 11 months since arrival
03/25/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/26/2009 Received NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131
03/28/2009 Received notice for Biometrics Appointment (April 9)
04/02/2009 Approval Notice for I-130 received
04/09/2009 Biometrics done
05/07/2009 Received Advance Parole Document
05/08/2009 Received Interview Letter
05/09/2009 Received EAD card
05/11/2009 Applied for SSN
05/16/2009 Received SSN
06/23/2009 AOS interview approved
06/27/2009 Welcome Letter received
07/05/2009 Green Card received
06/01/2011 Mailed I-751 Form
06/07/2011 Received NOA for I-751
07/11/2011 Biometrics Done

03/19/2015 Mailed N-400

03/30/2015 NOA Received

04/15/2015 Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2015 Interview

07/22/2015 Oath Ceremony

It's a TRAP!!! :devil:

:lol:

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Just to wrap up any worries. My wife did take a trip back home and we did not have a problem using the advanced parole form. We even found the CBP officer to be extremely nice and curious. We would like to offer this advice to anyone worried about using the advance parole. Please give yourself at least 2-3 hours time between flights when landing in the US. CBP is required to take you to a separate area in order to process you back into the country and you may also want to consider calling them for any change in procedures or best practices. We did and it was extremely helpful.

event.png
Married 04/24/2009
I-130 Filed: 02/20/2013
NOA 1: 02/27/2013
• I-129F Filed 03/04/2013
• 07/18/2013 Emailed Congressman - First Service Request With USCIS
INFOPASS Appointment 08/06/2013 (Confirmed Case is at MSC as of 04/10/2013 after being sent back to MSC from Local Office: no explanation given)
• 08/12/2013-08/30/2013: Congressional Inquiry and Service Request response received (Standard responses on both).
• NOA 2: ?
NVC Received Case: ?
• NVC Assigned Case ?

Just to wrap up any worries. My wife did take a trip back home and we did not have a problem using the advanced parole form. We even found the CBP officer to be extremely nice and curious. We would like to offer this advice to anyone worried about using the advance parole. Please give yourself at least 2-3 hours time between flights when landing in the US. CBP is required to take you to a separate area in order to process you back into the country and you may also want to consider calling them for any change in procedures or best practices. We did and it was extremely helpful.

Good information. My wife is traveling on her AP now. Is there a number to call for best practices?

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I called the general information number on this website. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contact...mer_service.xml

you may be able to find a better number on the site. Also, just as a word of advice, you may want to make sure you set aside atleast 30 minutes of your time when you call because I was on hold for atleast 25.

event.png
Married 04/24/2009
I-130 Filed: 02/20/2013
NOA 1: 02/27/2013
• I-129F Filed 03/04/2013
• 07/18/2013 Emailed Congressman - First Service Request With USCIS
INFOPASS Appointment 08/06/2013 (Confirmed Case is at MSC as of 04/10/2013 after being sent back to MSC from Local Office: no explanation given)
• 08/12/2013-08/30/2013: Congressional Inquiry and Service Request response received (Standard responses on both).
• NOA 2: ?
NVC Received Case: ?
• NVC Assigned Case ?

I called the general information number on this website. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contact...mer_service.xml

you may be able to find a better number on the site. Also, just as a word of advice, you may want to make sure you set aside atleast 30 minutes of your time when you call because I was on hold for atleast 25.

Added the site to my favs, thanks again. I will probably give them a call a couple of weeks before Vika returns.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.