ZorValachan

It Started

66 posts in this topic

Dug up this thread, as I didn't want to start a whole new one to say I got the NOA2 today at 1:15am.

I had checked the site before I went to work (work nights) and just a touch....

I doubt it, but it kinda makes me smile to think some hard working USCIS adjudicator was up waiting to finish my case, lol.

Anyway, thanks a lot to this site and many of you members who helped answer (directly and indirectly) all the question spinning around in my head.

yay :star:

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Another dig up, because might as well keep adding to this thread with each step.

The medical wasn't fun. -20 C outside and they made her do the whole running from the one office to the other twice (they didn't like the first x-ray). Also they refused to make a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form). They told her that the embassy told them not to anymore (since Oct.) She said other fiancees and wives were saying the same thing.

Interview was worse: CO was rude. Was a man. Kept telling her that her English was horrible and that he did not believe we could communicate with each other. Demanded she show him proof of letters she sent to me, then after reading the emails brought, told her he did not believe she actually wrote it and would not look at the phone log we printed with my and her number, showing that we talk 30-60 minutes each day. She is really self-critical on her English (it is good, she was just nervous at the man's rudeness) and it rattled her in a majorly bad way.

Good news: After Hell, the visa was Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Another dig up, because might as well keep adding to this thread with each step.

The medical wasn't fun. -20 C outside and they made her do the whole running from the one office to the other twice (they didn't like the first x-ray). Also they refused to make a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form). They told her that the embassy told them not to anymore (since Oct.) She said other fiancees and wives were saying the same thing.

Interview was worse: CO was rude. Was a man. Kept telling her that her English was horrible and that he did not believe we could communicate with each other. Demanded she show him proof of letters she sent to me, then after reading the emails brought, told her he did not believe she actually wrote it and would not look at the phone log we printed with my and her number, showing that we talk 30-60 minutes each day. She is really self-critical on her English (it is good, she was just nervous at the man's rudeness) and it rattled her in a majorly bad way.

Well congrats none the less. We all hope that these reports of easy and not so easy interviews help those down the road to prepare for anything.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

Congratulations, sorry to hear she was put through the grinder. I really wish there was some oversight on the consulates, but unfortunately they're all treated like their own little fiefdoms.

Anyway, put it behind you...things start to move really fast now, and the best part is yet to come. :D

Timeline
Well congrats none the less. We all hope that these reports of easy and not so easy interviews help those down the road to prepare for anything.

That's the main reason I'm writing, so others can learn/get help from our experience as we got help from those before us.

I forgot to add, She had trouble with understanding his English (I'm the only one she talks to in English on any basis, and we understand each other perfectly). Right away he said he didn't believe we talked to each other in English. Everything after that was 'Don't believe you'

Didn't believe she wrote the emails (your English is horrible)

Didn't believe we met in ICQ (that is an old program, no one uses it. you could not have met on it)

Didn't believe we had common interests (by this time she was shaken and answered in Russian, but he kept telling her to say it in English, which shook her up even more)

Didn't like that we didn't have a vast array of photos (Unfortunately my camera stopped working on the trip and her phone pics were somewhat not in focus.)

After reading 1 or 2 emails and saying he didn't believe them, refused to look at any more or the phone logs.

I am not sure on the snail mail letters, cards, and ring.

Timeline
That's the main reason I'm writing, so others can learn/get help from our experience as we got help from those before us.

I forgot to add, She had trouble with understanding his English (I'm the only one she talks to in English on any basis, and we understand each other perfectly). Right away he said he didn't believe we talked to each other in English. Everything after that was 'Don't believe you'

Didn't believe she wrote the emails (your English is horrible)

Didn't believe we met in ICQ (that is an old program, no one uses it. you could not have met on it)

Didn't believe we had common interests (by this time she was shaken and answered in Russian, but he kept telling her to say it in English, which shook her up even more)

Didn't like that we didn't have a vast array of photos (Unfortunately my camera stopped working on the trip and her phone pics were somewhat not in focus.)

After reading 1 or 2 emails and saying he didn't believe them, refused to look at any more or the phone logs.

I am not sure on the snail mail letters, cards, and ring.

I've heard a couple stories where the CO is a jerk just to see how the interviewee will react. Think of it as an interrogation technique. Not that I like it, but it makes sense in that light.

My own (then) fiancee had sort of the same situation. He didn't like the color of the roses I bought her. He criticized this and that. Quizzed her on geography. Then he approved the visa.

Anyways, congratulations.

Hmm, sounds like he was either having a really bad day, or was just tripping on the tiny little bit of power that he's been entrusted with. The fact that he approved her shows that he *did* believe her, or at least figured it was too much work to deny her. Again, there's no oversight on the consulates so it's impossible to know what the real situation is. Did your fiancee do her own translations? If she did her own translations then they would have required her to do the interview in English. If she's not comfortable with her spoken English, he might have been trying to suss if she really had been the translator of those documents. (not that it excuses rude behavior in the least.)

My wife was also treated rudely. Her English is pretty good, and the workers were constantly cracking jokes about mail-order brides and green card scammers, and making comments on their personal appearances. One of the women had a crying child, and a worker told her that he was going to make her leave if she didn't shut her kid up.

Fortunately it's something she never has to deal with again, and you'll soon be together--congratulations! :)

Timeline
Hmm, sounds like he was either having a really bad day, or was just tripping on the tiny little bit of power that he's been entrusted with. The fact that he approved her shows that he *did* believe her, or at least figured it was too much work to deny her. Again, there's no oversight on the consulates so it's impossible to know what the real situation is. Did your fiancee do her own translations? If she did her own translations then they would have required her to do the interview in English. If she's not comfortable with her spoken English, he might have been trying to suss if she really had been the translator of those documents. (not that it excuses rude behavior in the least.)

My wife was also treated rudely. Her English is pretty good, and the workers were constantly cracking jokes about mail-order brides and green card scammers, and making comments on their personal appearances. One of the women had a crying child, and a worker told her that he was going to make her leave if she didn't shut her kid up.

Fortunately it's something she never has to deal with again, and you'll soon be together--congratulations! :)

No, she didn't do her own translations (except her own emails in english-which she wrote originally in English)

She said she apologized to him that she did not understand his English very good, which he replied that he had no accent.

I did warn her about the whole 'your fiancee is criminal', thing (from another 2 threads) and to tell them they were wrong when they told lies. Well, i just found out he did pull something similar. At the end, he told her, 'You do know he is divorced?' which she replied, 'no, he is single, he was never married.' Said he just glanced at the paperwork and mutter, 'oh yeah, guess i was wrong'.

Said it was 10-15 minutes of grilling from start to finish. it was later than other people's interviews, but this guy came in at the end. I think maybe they needed extra help and he was just POed that he had do interviews.

Thanks all for the congrats, it's just a shame that the best of days has to have so much ####### splashed around on it.

How is POE? if something similar happens then, I cringe to imagine.

No, she didn't do her own translations (except her own emails in english-which she wrote originally in English)

She said she apologized to him that she did not understand his English very good, which he replied that he had no accent.

She should have been given the option to do the interview in Russian then. #######. :(

I did warn her about the whole 'your fiancee is criminal', thing (from another 2 threads) and to tell them they were wrong when they told lies. Well, i just found out he did pull something similar. At the end, he told her, 'You do know he is divorced?' which she replied, 'no, he is single, he was never married.' Said he just glanced at the paperwork and mutter, 'oh yeah, guess i was wrong'.

Yeah, sounds like he was trying to trip her up.

My wife's POE was terrible. Even though every single one of her documents was in order, they gave her the third degree and even once again made the "mail-order" bride snide remark. Having said that, most people here report that POE went fine. Take a look at the POE reviews, it's the second row of links at the top of this page, labeled "Reviews: Embassy/USCIS · POE."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm glad she was prepared for a smattering of this. Yes it is too bad this has to be but your's and our's life with the Moscow Embassy is over, forever. They never have to go back there for any of that.

Alla's and Tonya's (the two ladies travelled together) POE through Chicago was a piece of cake, including retrieving the dogs they both had shipped with.

All documents were in order and only smiles and welcomes on this end.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Great News. I had not heard about the DS-3025 thing and have not heard the same from Ukraine. Do they include it in the sealed envelope or is this some ploy to increase the cash flow to civil surgeons? Congratulations!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I had not heard about the DS-3025 thing and have not heard the same from Ukraine. Do they include it in the sealed envelope or is this some ploy to increase the cash flow to civil surgeons?

When Lesya had her medical exam at IOM in early November they told her the exact same thing about having been told by the embassy not to give copies. Lesya left with a copy. I'm sure most of you here know how she did it. :whistle:

If you do a quick search on this site or a Google search for DS-3025 you can find some recent reports from a few different countries where those getting their medical exam abroad were told that they cannot get a copy of the DS-3025 ---- even though that directly conradicts the instructions on the form. I spent a little time searching the DOS site and other relevant sites but I couldn't find anything related to any official change in policy. At this point it seems to be anyone's guess as to what's happening in these cases.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
When Lesya had her medical exam at IOM in early November they told her the exact same thing about having been told by the embassy not to give copies. Lesya left with a copy. I'm sure most of you here know how she did it. :whistle:

If you do a quick search on this site or a Google search for DS-3025 you can find some recent reports from a few different countries where those getting their medical exam abroad were told that they cannot get a copy of the DS-3025 ---- even though that directly conradicts the instructions on the form. I spent a little time searching the DOS site and other relevant sites but I couldn't find anything related to any official change in policy. At this point it seems to be anyone's guess as to what's happening in these cases.

Fortunately this needn't be a problem in FSU countries. :lol: we have found $10 US and a pint of good Vermont Maple Syrup to be very persuasive.

We have had no trouble to speak of at the POE for Alla (with dog and cat) our oldest son who arrived later and another woman that was traveling with us when we returned this summer that was coming on a K-1 and was engaged to another VJ member whom Alla did the translations for...small world. In fact this other woman got through the POE faster than we did (US citizen and permanent resident)

Just be sure to tell her to fill out the I-94 before she goes to the line, Alla made the mistake at her POE not to do this and then had to go back and start over through the line.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

this type of treatment is reason why i have decided to attend the interview with my love. i know my me and if i here some simple burricrat giving us hell we will do the interview and pass it. and then demand to see the embassitor and talk to him direct.

that is me. right is right and rude is just not taken buy me at anytime.

but super to here all has good ending and in few more weeks, you will have somebody in same bed with you... that will be good and strange at same time!!

and all those strange things will take over your sink in bath 10000 of bottles tubes and wires heheheh differnt strange and fun...

i wainting on noa 2 now. been close to 2 months and still nothing.. no update...just time and more time...

but best i am leaving in 2 weeks to go and see Ievgeniia for 11 days of fun seeing her house, and meeting her mom...friends and down to yalta for some warm and nice places to see. excited about the whole trip!!!! so excited!!!

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

One of the misconceptions many Americans have about overseas embassies is that it is "American soil" and that they therefore have the same exact rights and privileges that they enjoy within the physical boundaries of the US. This cannot be further from the truth. US Embassies are "American soil" with regards to the relationship between the host country and the US, not between you and the embassy. The relationship between you and the embassy is non-existent. (yes, they will work on your behalf if you, as a traveler, need assistance, but that's not what we're talking about here.)

Consider this when confronting a rude staffer, or demanding to see the Ambassador to complain about rude staff. You are there by invitation, you can be removed easily (probably not the best way to meet one of the few and proud), and they could really give a flying #### that you happen to be a US citizen. You're not in Kansas anymore--literally--and as I've said before, embassies operate as tiny little fiefdoms, largely outside any kind of normal government oversight, and largely by their own rules.

If you happen to attend your fiancee's interview, tread lightly. Your righteous indignation (no matter how justified) could result in arbitrary action against your fiancee. Any protests you have will wait until you return to the US (you will *not* get to meet the Ambassador, I guarantee it), and then you'll have to fight the State Department bureaucracy from back home while your fiancee cools her heels, visa-less.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.