Danno

Quick, we need a new way to mask our failing public school

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If you remember, It's not about education you will understand their logic much quicker.

Rewarding failure ensures failure

Hernando Today

Published: July 4, 2009

Updated:

The issue: Proposal to establish a 40 percent to 100 percent grading scale in Hernando County public schools. Our opinion: This idea deserves a zero.

It's been a week since Hernando Today first reported that the Hernando County School District is considering a proposal to adopt a 40 percent to 100 percent grading scale to replace the current 0 percent to 100 percent scale.

In other words, if a student fails to turn in a homework assignment, skips class and misses a test or just bombs one, the student would still receive a 40 percent grade instead of a 0.

Quite a deal for doing nothing.

As most folks who visit our Web site will tell you, an overwhelming majority who responded think this is a really dumb idea.

We do, too.

Rewarding failure ensures failure. This is not only a bad idea, it's dangerous to youngsters who continually face dumbing-down measures designed by wrong-headed educators to supposedly increase students' self-esteem while increasing their grade point averages. They must figure if ####### and Jane feel better about themselves, they'll do better in school. That's fine and dandy, but even students can see through this questionable proposal: a free pass to underperforming students. What many forget is that failure can be the best teacher - a valuable lesson that all youngsters must learn sooner or later. Better the former than the latter.

Everyone knows there's no such thing as a free lunch. Free grades for doing nothing will produce the same result: a hunger later in life for the knowledge they unwittingly declined in their youth.

If students are programmed to learn that if they do nothing and still receive nearly half credit, more students will opt out - opt out of doing homework, studying and/or giving it the extra effort it takes to excel in school. It also diminishes the hard work and effort of students who complete their assignments and study hard for tests.

"Dude, you studied for hours and did all the homework and got a C on the test? How lame is that? I went to the movies, got a 40 and still have a C in the class."

And let's say some youngsters make it through high school utilizing the benefits of the 40 percent scale. What will students do when they realize real life begins at 0 and the effort they give determines how close to 100 they will climb?

A rude awakening indeed.

Don't try asking the boss to for five days' pay when you only show up for three. Instead, expect a pink slip, not a free pass.

We're aghast that Superintendent Wayne Alexander thinks 40/100 is a good idea.

"I like the idea," Alexander told Hernando Today. "I think we need to (change) the way we look at grades. The failure range is so (wide) if you think about it. It's not fair."

Huh? Fair?

Failure is failure, regardless of the range. Most folks will tell you that a success rate of 59 percent on any task is failure - miserable failure. In the work world, private sector businesses won't put up with employees who produce at education's failure rate. The reason: There's always someone else who will go the extra mile to achieve a competitive edge.

And that's as it should be. It's called life.

How about demanding more accountability for success from students, parents, teachers and administrators?

School board member Sandra Nicholson seems to get it.

"Why bother working if you know you're only going to get a 40 (percent)? What do you have to do (to pass)? Not much. It's a freebie," Nicholson told Hernando Today. "It tells me there will be no consequences for their actions ... I just don't understand that reasoning."

We don't either. What we do know is school board members need to shelve the 40/100 idea.

It would make our district a laughingstock and lessen the academic standing of all our students.

We're perplexed why anyone would support such a strange idea. If it's just to make students feel better, delaying responsibility for societal norms is no favor. Because underperforming students might give up knowing they've already dug themselves a hole too deep to get out of, this proposal certainly isn't a hand up.

(snip)

http://www2.hernandotoday.com/content/2009...nsures-failure/

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

all the self esteem in the world won't get them a decent paying job.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Who said they were headed for the job-force?

Obomer has em hooked up w/ all the essentials of life, I am reevaluating my long held principles too.

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Obomer has em hooked up w/ all the essentials of life, I am reevaluating my long held principles too.

Why are you so stuck up on Obama? Since the early days of the colonial period, there were always public benefits towards the people.

:rofl: I'm surprised people have who clinged to things haven't realized it was rooted in the colonial days.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Timeline

Why are you so stuck up on Obama? Since the early days of the colonial period, there were always public benefits towards the people.

:rofl: I'm surprised people have who clinged to things haven't realized it was rooted in the colonial days.

I'm surprised you threw that out there with any examples or evidence.

William Penn

Colonials didn't pay nearly the taxes we do or face the same dangers of HUGE government we do, thanks to all the "extra" administration brought about by those "who need help."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

On topic - it doesn't really matter what they do for the schools. Until family units provide some sort of stability for the students, a sense of community and moral standards, schools are irrelavent.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Anyone read Savage Inequalities?

Interesting how the author turns it around. If money doesn't matter, than why do so many suburbans fight for their money?

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

On topic - it doesn't really matter what they do for the schools. Until family units provide some sort of stability for the students, a sense of community and moral standards, schools are irrelavent.

Interesting. So this is how you validate the fact that your (future) kids will receive an entirely different education from poor kids? I mean, forgiving the fact that you can't spell but whatevs. Right?

I wouldn't say poor. Those poor kids in India are way the hell smarter than an average high school senior. Heck, these kids learned Calculus when they were only 13 or 14.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I remembered way back in college in the Freshman year. Everybody was having such a hard time with calculus 1 and 2, classical physics 1 and 2. Maybe because of the instructor, I don't know. Overall, they did well. But, they struggled so much.

There was this one kid who said to me, I learned this stuff back in India when I was 14. Heck, those classes were the easiest. I can't believe these kids who had a house, money, and goto school in the US have such a hard time with these classes. He even said, when he moved to the US and went to high school he had to re-take those classes.

I had to agree with him. These so called future Engineers maybe hopeless in the end. And, I understood why the tech companies outsource these Engineers as well. I have no complaints. It's the US education system. Most public education have low expectations for their kids, so the kids won't try as hard.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

^ and?

Poor kids in the US do not get the same education as poor kids in India. Why are you comparing the two?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Poor kids in the US do not get the same education as poor kids in India. Why are you comparing the two?

You mean he's comparing elite Indian students to what the average American student studies?

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011