rebeccajo

Driving lessons

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

So at age almost-46, today the DH began driving lessons.

He never got his license in the UK. But he had tried; had driven over there; understands the rules of the road over there.

I keep telling him this doesn't help over here.............. :P

He's been here almost 4 years. No US license. This is mostly because of ME. No patience and over-protective of the paid-for car.

So we hired him an instructor. We both agreed this would be better for our marriage. :P Today out they go and did freeway driving. DH tells me this went pretty well.

Tonight DH and I went to the mall. I asked him if he wanted to drive home - he said yes. He navigated the seven lanes in front of the mall really well. Navigated crossing over three lanes really well. Went through one of the most dangerous intersections in town really well. It was getting dark........

Got to a Y in the road about 1/2 mile from our house and put it up on the curb. Waited for traffic to clear, got back down on the road and started veering to the right again. At this point I was like - stop - let me drive........ :(

Basically, I need to hear again from those of you with spouses who didn't drive before coming to the US to tell me that I will not die from this experience..........................

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

ok I will tell you this...neil scared the ####### outta so many of my family members no one would allow him to drive anymore. the first time i actually allowed him to drive he was so excited. he drove about 15 miles and he said "oh wait i've had 4 beers". #######? i never allowed him to drive again. how could you forget that?

sounds like your husband is doing waaaaaaaaay better. you won't die. i might have :lol:

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

ok I will tell you this...neil scared the ####### outta so many of my family members no one would allow him to drive anymore. the first time i actually allowed him to drive he was so excited. he drove about 15 miles and he said "oh wait i've had 4 beers". #######? i never allowed him to drive again. how could you forget that?

sounds like your husband is doing waaaaaaaaay better. you won't die. i might have :lol:

Erm, yeah, that sounds not too good......

I keep remembering all these posts I've read about people who were ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED who have now learned to drive over here. Wes is kind of a 'unsure' sort of person - nervous-y. I know he needs to drive in-between his lessons but I don't think I've got good enough nerves for it. I don't want to screw up his learning curve.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

he'll be aight

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Timeline
So at age almost-46, today the DH began driving lessons.

He never got his license in the UK. But he had tried; had driven over there; understands the rules of the road over there.

I keep telling him this doesn't help over here.............. :P

He's been here almost 4 years. No US license. This is mostly because of ME. No patience and over-protective of the paid-for car.

So we hired him an instructor. We both agreed this would be better for our marriage. :P Today out they go and did freeway driving. DH tells me this went pretty well.

Tonight DH and I went to the mall. I asked him if he wanted to drive home - he said yes. He navigated the seven lanes in front of the mall really well. Navigated crossing over three lanes really well. Went through one of the most dangerous intersections in town really well. It was getting dark........

Got to a Y in the road about 1/2 mile from our house and put it up on the curb. Waited for traffic to clear, got back down on the road and started veering to the right again. At this point I was like - stop - let me drive........ :(

Basically, I need to hear again from those of you with spouses who didn't drive before coming to the US to tell me that I will not die from this experience..........................

I tried, and tried, and several times almost died, and the car, poor car! Next time, if there is a next time, we hire a driving instructor.

Timeline

lol

sure, send him to NC, i'll give him a presidential driving lesson

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Yep, you won't die. But you may come close! Driving & getting his US license was kinda of crazy for us. I felt like I had a teen driver in the house for a while. I'm a defense driver, hubby not so much. I still tell him how to drive (although I try really hard not too). Its getting better. lol.

I tried, and tried, and several times almost died, and the car, poor car! Next time, if there is a next time, we hire a driving instructor.

:help:

lol

sure, send him to NC, i'll give him a presidential driving lesson

No.

You have to come up here. On our roads. Where he will be driving........

I have beer.

Yep, you won't die. But you may come close! Driving & getting his US license was kinda of crazy for us. I felt like I had a teen driver in the house for a while. I'm a defense driver, hubby not so much. I still tell him how to drive (although I try really hard not too). Its getting better. lol.

How long has this been going on?

Timeline

mhh beer is an accepted VJ currency... stronger than the euro itself

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute