rockhouse

Question for Filipina's in USA, regarding the food...

33 posts in this topic

we have the same experience pink! when i got here, my first meal was from taco bell because it was already late. the next morning we ate at a chinese buffet. the next breakfast we had was daing, which i brought with me from pinas. :)

ROC mailed to USCIS -- June 10, 2011

ROC approved -- November 1, 2011

finally free of USCIS paperwork!

japan, japan! sagot sa kahirapan!

smswp8wx7d.png

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I love american, japanese, italian, korean, mexican and chinese foods which i already tried back home. However it surprise me to see a mashed potato and french fries but no dimsum at the chinese buffet table, well maybe only at that resto. Im not into fast food so much except for Whole wheat tuna sub at subway. She'll get used to it esp pasta, chicken, burger and fries are also common in the phils.

3monthsartwork-1.jpg

v9gkhecyd215seuv.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i dont think there's a difference at all..the foods/cuisines in the phils are diverse too so u can eat whatever your palate is craving be it italian,mexican or japanese..it wasnt too much of an adjustment for me..

Edited by BernetteandWyatt

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i got here just last week and we went out only twice. portions in restaurants here are humongous and i think too much for some filipinas like me. my soon to be husband doesnt cook, so i'm the queen of the kitchen. this morning we went to asian stores and got what i needed for my filipino/asian cooking. he eats anything i cook just no frying, less fat, sugar and salt and definitely no fish for him.

My first meal here in the US is fast food lol! I came here late night so all the restos are closed already and Mcdo is the only open one :D

we have the same experience pink! when i got here, my first meal was from taco bell because it was already late. the next morning we ate at a chinese buffet. the next breakfast we had was daing, which i brought with me from pinas. :)

And mine would be Burger King since I arrived here around 1:00 in the morning and I was starving to death. I couldn't remember whether I liked it or not since I was tired and groggy to care. But one thing is for sure, I got shocked of how big and thick the burger, how large the size of the fries and soda. The next day, hubby fixed me an all-American breakfast... hashbrowns, sausage patties, eggs and toast. Love them! I still do, except now, I replace hashbrowns with rice. :thumbs:

Edited by David-Mae Forever

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Timeline

burgers and fried (white castle fast food) that was my first food here!!! :star:

burgers and Fries (white castle fast food) that was my first food here!!! :star:

:star:

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Timeline

First, I don't have problem with the food here because I love cooking and I can cook whatever food I wanted. Most of the ingredients I needed are available here or have equivalent. My soon-to-be hubby loves every dishes I made. I am concern to both of our diet so it has to be healthy. I have my different versions for romaine lettuce salad.

We seldom eat in fast food resto here because I feel its unhealthy. Usually when end up to fast food when me and my soon-to-be hubby hanging out with his friends.

Though, I best loves the gourmet burger, mozzarella sticks and onion rings with root beer. Those were my first meal when I got here, and had it at Applebee's.

Most of Asian stores are around here in the state, so things will be fine.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

i got here just last week and we went out only twice. portions in restaurants here are humongous and i think too much for some filipinas like me. my soon to be husband doesnt cook, so i'm the queen of the kitchen. this morning we went to asian stores and got what i needed for my filipino/asian cooking. he eats anything i cook just no frying, less fat, sugar and salt and definitely no fish for him.

Haha! I remember my first meal here was at Cheddars in Austin, TX and I got Chicken Fried Steak. It was a very huge plate that would be already a meal for 3 serving in the Philippines. My husband and his family noticed how shock I was. Up to now, I still can't finish the whole plate so me and hubby share most of the time.

I am a fan of fish and one thing I don't like living in Central TX is there's not alot of fishes to choose from at HEB or even Walmart. There are some but they're not as fresh as what it is in the Philippine wet market.

I am a big rice eater, as what most Filipinos are, so I made sure that I have my own rice cooker at home and of course rice. It didn't take me a while to adjust with the western food though coz they have a lot of food that I like. I like the steakburgers so much! And my favorite restaurant is Olive Garden coz I am also a big fan of pasta.

I think, it'll depend on an individual on how she'd adjust. Just slowly but surely though.

Feb 07 - met my Dream Guy

Jun 08 - arrived in the US

Jul 08 - ♥♥♥ WEDDING DAY ♥♥♥

Jul 09 - Temp GC received

Mar 12 - 10 yr GC received

Aug 13 - Naturalized

Home Made Steak, love it! I grill it myself... We love to dine-out, weekly... to the local restaurant around the area such as Charlie Browns (love their salad bar), Cheesecake Factory, Bugaboo (love their steak, barbecue and mojito), Pantagis Snuffy's Clam Bar, Bone Fish Grill (love their Bang bang shrimp, ahi tuna, Mussels and Rice), Magiano's when we feel like eating Italian (coz hubby love's pasta)............... Just take her out to a variety of food shops/restaurant/fastfood etc... and let her explore what food she may love to have aside from craving for dried fish and fried galunggong, tinapa and bagoong... lol

February 2006 - File Petition, Approved

May 2006 - Medical, Interview, VISA on hand

September 2006 - Set foot prints in the chilly icy JFK, NYC

December 2006 - Civil Wedding

March 2007 - File AOS

June 29, 2007 - Temporary Green Card

I-751

May 30, 2009 - Priority Mail with Confirmation Receipt I-751 Packet

June 1, 2009 - Packed Received by USCIS around 4PM (per USPS Confirmation Delivery Receipt) - now, what's next?

June 2, 2009 - I-797C Receipt Date (Time 21:07....are they operating 24 hours???)

June 3, 2009 - Cashed Check/Bank Cleared

June 4, 2009 - USCIS Postage Date

June 5, 2009 - Local Post Office Receipt date (so, its been sitting on our mail box in house #2 for 5 days...)

June 11, 2009 - Got it! 1 year extension notice......

June 18, 2009 - Received Biometrics schedule

July 10, 2009 - Biometrics Day (cancelled/re-sched)

July 23, 2009 - Biometrics day

November 2, 2009 - Approved

November 5, 2009 - Received via Mail "Approval Notice"

Waiting for actual GC

----NO RFE!!!-----------

rmdlw2.png

Filed: Timeline

Haha! I remember my first meal here was at Cheddars in Austin, TX and I got Chicken Fried Steak. It was a very huge plate that would be already a meal for 3 serving in the Philippines. My husband and his family noticed how shock I was. Up to now, I still can't finish the whole plate so me and hubby share most of the time.

I am a fan of fish and one thing I don't like living in Central TX is there's not alot of fishes to choose from at HEB or even Walmart. There are some but they're not as fresh as what it is in the Philippine wet market.

I am a big rice eater, as what most Filipinos are, so I made sure that I have my own rice cooker at home and of course rice. It didn't take me a while to adjust with the western food though coz they have a lot of food that I like. I like the steakburgers so much! And my favorite restaurant is Olive Garden coz I am also a big fan of pasta.

I think, it'll depend on an individual on how she'd adjust. Just slowly but surely though.

the only fish I like here are salmon and halibut. I didn't know that fish and chips means, fish and french fries, where fish is paired with tar2x sauce and ketchup for french fries.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all,

I was curious about how the Filipina's that are now living in the USA feel about the food here.

There are lot's of different types of food, from fast-food to Italian and Mexican.

How do you ladies find the food compared to back home? My Fiancee thinks maybe her palate won't be adjusted to the food here, and she won't really care for it. I keep telling her that there's no way she won't like a chicken or beef fajita plate, or a good 'ol texas cheeseburger, or maybe a slab of good lasagna.

Fast-food is pretty much the same everywhere, but how do yall like the real restaurant foods?

Lemme know ladies.....thanks.

i remember 15yrs ago when i first got here that I couldn't stand the taste of a chili burger or anything that has chili in it... the taste is just so bad and also the smell... also i hate salad, don't eat any pasta, hate mexican food... all i remember is that i was basically stuck with just FILIPINO food. luckily i live in california where there are flip grocery store around. eventually overtime i've learned to eat them. in fact, im so crazy with olive garden, any kind of seafood, fast food like del taco/ taco bell... and im so so so crazy with souplantantion.... i hope that your fiancee will get a hang of it... eventually she'll get use to it.

K1 Timeline Visa

APRIL 8, 2009 - The Journey Begins....

1 DAY - USCIS Received Application

99 DAYS - I-129F Application Approved

114 DAYS - NVC Received Package

118 DAYS - Package left NVC

125 DAYS - USEM received package

138 DAYS - Medical Exam from April 8, 2009

147 DAYS - Interview Passed

174 DAYS - POE

AOS Timeline

JANUARY 8, 2010 - AOS Application Sent

11 DAYS – NOA Hardcopy Received (AOS, EAD, AP)

15 DAYS – Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

31 DAYS – Biometrics Appointment @ 12:00 pm

52 DAYS – EAD Approved

59 DAYS – Employment Authorization Card & Advance Parole (Travel Docs) Received

67 DAYS – Adjustment of Status Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife likes the food here, coz Filipino food and asian food is the norm here. Rice is everywhere here. You can get rice and spam for breakfast at McDonalds and BurgerKing. It is hard to get good Mexican food here. No problem for my wife coz she does not like Mexican food.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi all,

I was curious about how the Filipina's that are now living in the USA feel about the food here.

How do you ladies find the food compared to back home? My Fiancee thinks maybe her palate won't be adjusted to the food here, and she won't really care for it

My Meve has now been here two months. It's very hard for her to adjust to our foods. She is VERY finicky. So, I've been trying my best to cook Phil foods for her at home. She HATES my fave, Indian food. She does not care for Mexican at all. Sweet Tomatoes was a bust. The Cuban restaurant didn't work, & she even hated the PORK there!

We have the best luck at Asian buffets where she can get rice, and grilled meats. Also, we have L &L Hawaiin BBQ out here, and that's a natural fit. As others have said, she seems to remain unsatisfied unless there's rice on the plate. :whistle: She craves fried fish, noodles {pancit canton} and Phil-style spaghetti, eggs, and rice.

The only fast food hamburgers we've tried are Jack in the Box, and In and Out. She really likes In and Out.

We haven't tried McD's or BK yet, simply because I don't eat that myself.

Moving on w/life

Timeline
My first meal here in the US is fast food lol! I came here late night so all the restos are closed already and Mcdo is the only open one :D

My first meal was in Texas Road House...i love their unions rings and the best steak ever...

To the OP, let her explore the foods which she did not try in Philippines. I am sure she will like those... and if not, you can buy her rice and fish in some asian or filipino stores...

Edited by mRs StOcKwElL

ea924d6b6b.png

FILING FOR LIFTING OF CONDITION

Husband and I like Mexican (tacos, burritos, quesadilla, barbecue chicken with chipotle sauce). I am not much of a cook, but my husband is. He likes to barbecue (beef, chicken, pork). No fried food for him, less fat, low carb and no sugar too. Fast food? We like going to In & Out Burger, Carl's Jr and Round table Pizza.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.