rockhouse

Question for Filipina's in USA, regarding the food...

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

I was curious about how the Filipina's that are now living in the USA feel about the food here.

There are lot's of different types of food, from fast-food to Italian and Mexican.

How do you ladies find the food compared to back home? My Fiancee thinks maybe her palate won't be adjusted to the food here, and she won't really care for it. I keep telling her that there's no way she won't like a chicken or beef fajita plate, or a good 'ol texas cheeseburger, or maybe a slab of good lasagna.

Fast-food is pretty much the same everywhere, but how do yall like the real restaurant foods?

Lemme know ladies.....thanks.

29ngqhd.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back in the phils, i ignored chinese food because i found them too bland but here in the US, i'm a regular at our local chinese buffet. :P also, my husband introduced me to pho, which i'm also addicted to now. i also love seafood restos such as red lobster and crabpot. i think because filipinos have been brought up to eat rice, a "complete" meal for us definitely must have rice. i guess that's why i'm not into pastas, burgers, and tacos so much. your wife would probably look for rice with her meals so i suggest bringing her to asian restos first. introduce western food to her little by little so her tastesbuds can adjust and eventually enjoy them too. :star:

Edited by felb

ROC mailed to USCIS -- June 10, 2011

ROC approved -- November 1, 2011

finally free of USCIS paperwork!

japan, japan! sagot sa kahirapan!

smswp8wx7d.png

Timeline

Unless you live in the boonies, there are Filipino or Asian grocery stores or markets so it really isn't a big deal. She can make her own Filipino food if she isn't happy with whatever else is available. It is really that simple. She doesn't have to eat anything other than Filipino food, really.

"Texas hill country" - maybe you do live in the boonies. :) Guess you have to take a trip to the city and stock up.

Hi all,

I was curious about how the Filipina's that are now living in the USA feel about the food here.

There are lot's of different types of food, from fast-food to Italian and Mexican.

How do you ladies find the food compared to back home? My Fiancee thinks maybe her palate won't be adjusted to the food here, and she won't really care for it. I keep telling her that there's no way she won't like a chicken or beef fajita plate, or a good 'ol texas cheeseburger, or maybe a slab of good lasagna.

Fast-food is pretty much the same everywhere, but how do yall like the real restaurant foods?

My hubby and I are not really fans of fast food chain. Real restaurant foods are really good here. I could choice italian, mexican, cuban, vietnamese, american cuisine.

My husband and I really like japanese food but we try to stay away from sushi here in AZ. Surprisingly, i found good sushi in one of the high end grocery store here in AZ. There sushi really taste like the one we eat in japan.

If she likes burger.. the beef here are a lot juicier compare to the philippines.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Timeline
Unless you live in the boonies, there are Filipino or Asian grocery stores or markets so it really isn't a big deal. She can make her own Filipino food if she isn't happy with whatever else is available. It is really that simple. She doesn't have to eat anything other than Filipino food, really.

"Texas hill country" - maybe you do live in the boonies. :) Guess you have to take a trip to the city and stock up.

Thanks for the blatantly obvious information that doesn't even answer my question.

Next...

Edited by rockhouse
29ngqhd.jpg

for me, the best western food is the steak! nevermind the rice, i'll take buttered veggies or mashed potato with it. yum!

ROC mailed to USCIS -- June 10, 2011

ROC approved -- November 1, 2011

finally free of USCIS paperwork!

japan, japan! sagot sa kahirapan!

smswp8wx7d.png

Filed: Timeline
Hi all,

I thought food is going to be my problem too I don't like pepper, pickles and those spices and herbs. I can't believe that you can actually eat the broccoli and mushrooms raw :wacko: . Good thing that hubby doesn't have problems with the filipino food so I usually cook it at home. Then slowly if we go out for dinner he introduced me to other types of food, so now I'm starting to cook other types of food. It's a normal reaction, but I'm sure once she tasted the other food she'll like it. :) . It just takes time. It took me a while to like the black pepper.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all,

She can always cook if she don't like the food here because Asian stores is everywhere but when she starts working or get busy she will have no choice but to eat out or order at the resto. At first I thought i won't get used to the food here in the US but my husband introduce me slowly with the Restaurants here like mexicans which I loveesp. their texas fajitas, then OLIVE GARDEN, Italian Resto, etc. Since I love Spicy Food we also go to Thai restaurant here. But with the fast food, I'm not really a fun of it unless its SUBWAY.

So don't worry she will like the food here pretty soon once she's used to it.

MY TIMELINE

K-1 Journey

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Singapore

05/21/07 : I-129F Sent

02/24/08 : INTERVIEW

12/12/07 : MEDICAL

01/09/08 : VISA IN HAND

03/06/08 : Arrive in the US, POE - DETROIT

AOS

03/28/08 : Mailed AOS Packet

04/12/08 : Receive NOA's AP, EAD

05/02/08 : BIOMETRICS

06/11/08 : EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!!

07/02/08 : GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

07/07/08 : GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL & WORKING

03/27/09 : Driver's License issued

Removing Condition

04/03/10 : mailed to Vermont

04/08/10 : NOA1 & 1 yr extension

05/20/10 : Biometrics Appt.

11/19/10 : Interview/Approval

I like Tex-mex, Mexican and chinese.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

After 2 years of being here in the US, I still have not learned liking mashed potatoes... I'll take rice in a heartbeat. :blush: When I first got here, I really went through the transition. I was so excited to try all American foods and ate whatever my husband fixed for me. I never ate much Filipino dishes for at least my first 6 months here because I was curious to try a lot of things. After that, I was ready for my rice and back to my old self. :whistle: And by then, I already found out that fried egg, sausage (links or patties) and rice are perfect for breakfast. :thumbs: I am not into Mexican cuisine but I do like chicken fajitas (on top of my hot rice, not in a tortilla :thumbs: ). I was a fajita virgin and never tried it before... I just did last 4th of July and I loved it! It tasted like our Chicken Afritada from the Philippines.

It's going to be different for her at first but I'm sure in no time she'll learn to like a lot of things here. Let her explore and see what she thinks about this and that.

--Mae

P.S. No steak for me please... especially the red-raw-bloody-looking one. :wacko:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Timeline

Mexican food, especially tender pork ribs with mesquite grilled chicken fajitas served with rice, beans and guacomole, is numero uno!

arizona_fi_huge_md_clr.gif

I am lucky to find a USC husband who also likes to eat some of the filipino foods that I am preparing. We also like Chinese foods and eating in the buffet around the state. We also like seafoods, maybe your fiancee can try all of the foods that the other posters mentioned. It's just a matter of adjusting to the taste. Our chicken in the Philippines are a bit different to our Chicken fillet here, I don't know but sometimes I think chicken breast here has not much of a taste. Maybe it's just me and the fish here are all fillets already which sometimes I find not so tasty but eventually I learned to live with it, but I also buy clean whole different kinds of fish in some of the oriental stores in Boston and here in Rhode Island. We go out of our way to find some foods that my son and I used to eat. Give her more time and if you have the chance try to bring her to some of the oriental stores in your area.

My wife is adjusting good, she loves potatoes specially french fries and wedges. The one thing she will not eat is mexican food as much as i try to get her to try something after 3 attempts she just doesnt like it. She really likes BBQ Beef tri-tip or pork ribs.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My first meal here in the US is fast food lol! I came here late night so all the restos are closed already and Mcdo is the only open one :D The next day, hubby brought me to a chinese buffet resto and I loved it there caz there is rice, lo mien (which look/taste like pansit in PH, but i still like pansit more) and some food that is similar with pinoy foods. I like mexican foods and italaian cuisine too :thumbs:

My in-laws will always ask me if i ever tasted this or that food, and if i haven't, they will cook/buy it for me :D

Before I got here, I was afraid that I might not be able to eat rice everyday (like most of the Filipino do), but hubby brought me to Oriental Stores which I can buy bags of rice and buy filipino ingredients that i can cook when I get home. I don't eat rice everyday now like i used to because i sometimes like to eat american, mexican or italian cuisine which my in-laws introduced to me.

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Timeline

I love eating thai, chinese, japanese and italian food, but I don't like mexican food :)

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.