antda

Anyone here watch "The Proposal" movie?....

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Lol...ok, so the other night my husband and I decided to go out on a "date" (lol...sigh, the last date we'll probably have for awhile before the baby is born in 2 weeks or so....yikes...). We went to the local drive-in movie theatre and saw....

"The Proposal"....

Which was about a Canadian businesswoman whose visa expires and has to pretend that she is engaged and married to her American assistant so that she can stay in the USA......

For more information, read here (note: spoiler included): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proposal_(film)

Needless to say, it was a funny movie, and we had a good time watching such!...:)

Got to love how they depict the immigration process for Canadians who want to immigrate to the USA! Even though it was somewhat inaccurate!

Some key memorable "immigration moments" in the movie:

-When they had to 'study' from a booklet of questions about each other: "You're allergic to pine nuts and all human emotion!"

-"I'm from Canada....that's not immigration!"

-The depiction of USCIS offices and the many immigrants lining up in the office

-"I want to apply for a fiancee visa" (while throwing the paperwork on the desk)

-The part where she tells her bosses that she is engaged to her secretary, even though they are not and he has no clue what is going on

-When she admits that the marriage is a fraud in front of his family.....

-When the Immigration officer questions them again...."Which side of the bed do you sleep in? Which side does she sleep in?"

-"You did not file your paperwork in time and are deported. Pick up your stuff in NYC then you have to leave in 24 hours...."

-Etc.....(to those of you who have seen the movie, add more funny immigration moments here too)

Oh the lengths people go through for immigration purposes! Fraud marriages included!..... :rofl:

Anyone else seen this movie too? Can you relate to such a movie, as a Canadian/American immigrant too?

If you haven't, I would recommend this to all.... :thumbs: , especially those of you going through this immigration process, as this is a funny and comical look into this situation......(though fictional and over-exaggerated by hollywood standards).....

Ant (Recommending "The Proposal" movie!)

P.S. Interstingly enough..Sandra Bullock is the real-life American (but she's the Canadian in the movie) and Ryan Reynolds is the real life Canadian (but he's the American in the movie)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am going to see it tonight, it's our date night too! Looks funny and silly!

You have a drive-in theater near you.... lucky! I miss the drive in, there was one in Oakville where I used to live I went to it all the time!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I saw it. It was very cute. But, really unrealistic after having gone through this whole process.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Haha, I'm dragging my fiance to see this tonight (finally), on my last night here in Florida!

Been bugging him for weeks to see it... but there's always something else to see... "Remember how bad we wanted to see Public Enemies?" "Oh, look, The Hangover looks like a funny movie!" Told him that tonight he has no excuses, heh.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline

I can't watch movies that are inaccurate and didn't have their writers bother to research the issue and spend an extra 20% on them, but instead give bullock millions to play the role. It would ruin the entire movie for me. So knowing full well it will be rubbish I just won't go, to save myself sitting there yelling in the theatre "It doesn't work like that."

.... because I will. :blink:

Edited by bradcanuck

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ryan Reynolds is FREAKIN' HOT

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Hi JillA and Everyone,

Have fun watching the movie tonight too! I guarantee, you'll like the movie!

In answer to your question:

Yes, we have a drive-in movie theatre near where we are. Lol..in fact, the local movie theatre is closer to us than the grocery store is! It's just down the local country road/highway, next to the many dairy farms and barns along the way....

Lol..Gives a literal meaning to the joke, "The cows are at the mooooovies!".... :lol:

Actually we have about 3 of them within a 50 mile area/radius where we are, so yes, drive-in movies a very popular around here!

They are very family friendly, are inexpensive (for example, usually 2 or 3 movies for 1 price at $5-10 per person), and are more comfortable than sitting in a cramped traditional movie theatre with other interruptions. As well, you can bring your own food and lawn chairs, and can sit under the stars and night sky while you are watching the movies!

To find a drive-in movie theatre in your area, both in the USA and in Canada, you can look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_activ...ive-in_theaters

Ahh..I remember the drive-in that you mentioned in Oakville, Ontario. We passed by there once on our travels back to Canada, but haven't been there yet. Hmm...maybe we should go the next time we're up in Canada?

Have fun watching the movie(s), wherever you are! Moooooooooo!.... :star:

Ant

P.S. We also watched "Ice Age 3" that night, since it was a 2 for 1 movie deal at the drive in....Though my husband and I both liked "The Proposal" better....(but the Baby liked "Ice Age" better..as he was kicking more during that movie....rofl!..)

I am going to see it tonight, it's our date night too! Looks funny and silly!

You have a drive-in theater near you.... lucky! I miss the drive in, there was one in Oakville where I used to live I went to it all the time!

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

my husband and i went to see it. it kept us laughing for sure. the only thing i didnt like is they give others the idea that its really like this and people will believe that.

u know....like people believe u get married to an american u are automatically a greencard holder. that is so far from the truth but thats what people believe cuz they have seen movies and thats what happens in the movies.

Hi Everyone,

Jomo'sgirl-Yeah, I agree..."cute but unrealistic".....Oh well....Now we know how immigration is depicted by hollywood...funny....

I saw it. It was very cute. But, really unrealistic after having gone through this whole process.

SamandBen-Lol..yup, no excuses! Hope you get to see that movie tonight or soon, without excuses getting in the way! Lol..say it has something to do with your immigration case...need some pointers for that....rofl!

Haha, I'm dragging my fiance to see this tonight (finally), on my last night here in Florida!

Been bugging him for weeks to see it... but there's always something else to see... "Remember how bad we wanted to see Public Enemies?" "Oh, look, The Hangover looks like a funny movie!" Told him that tonight he has no excuses, heh.

Bradcanuck-I feel somewhat the same way too, especially movies that have been adapted from books. I always ask "why did they leave this or that part of it out? Why did they choose to depict it this way, instead of the other way?". Oh well, over the years I've known to accept that movies are inaccurate....but are still fun to watch anyways.....

I can't watch movies that are inaccurate and didn't have their writers bother to research the issue and spend an extra 20% on them, but instead give bullock millions to play the role. It would ruin the entire movie for me. So knowing full well it will be rubbish I just won't go, to save myself sitting there yelling in the theatre "It doesn't work like that."

.... because I will. :blink:

Jomo'sgirl-Lol....Sorry, but he's already taken by Scarlett Johanson (sp?)....Interesting note too...At one point he was engaged to Canadian singer Alanis Morisette.......but that's another story.....

Ryan Reynolds is FREAKIN' HOT

Ant

Hi Everyone,

Donna A-

Glad you and your husband liked the movie when you went to see it. I agree, hollywood does give people the wrong idea about things sometimes, and I wish too that people would know better than to believe all that is the movies.

But I think some people are smarter than that (like all of us on VJ), and know the difference between fiction and reality...:)

I agree too, that people think that "just because one is married to an American, means you are an American right away..." . Not true at all! You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to explain to others about the USCIS and going through the whole immigration process to others! Lol...it doesn't help with the fact that Canada and the USA are so close together...doesn't seem foreign enough for immigration, in some people's eyes.....rofl.....

On the bright side, at least this movie shows that an immigration process does exist....(though in an exaggerated way)..

So if someone can learn that at least...It's good, right?

my husband and i went to see it. it kept us laughing for sure. the only thing i didnt like is they give others the idea that its really like this and people will believe that.

u know....like people believe u get married to an american u are automatically a greencard holder. that is so far from the truth but thats what people believe cuz they have seen movies and thats what happens in the movies.

Ant

Edited by AntandD

Hi Everyone,

Donna A-

I agree, hollywood does give people the wrong idea about things sometimes, and I wish too that people would know better than to believe all that is the movies.

But I think some people are smarter than that (like all of us on VJ), and know the difference between fiction and reality...:)

I agree too, that people think that "just because one is married to an American, means you are an American right away..." . Not true at all! You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to explain to others about the USCIS and going through the whole immigration process to others! Lol...it doesn't help with the fact that Canada and the USA are so close together...doesn't seem foreign enough for immigration, in some people's eyes.....rofl.....

On the bright side, at least this movie shows that an immigration process does exist....(though in an exaggerated way)..

So if someone can learn that at least...It's good, right?

Ant

"You mean, you can't just move there?!"

If only people knew...

Of course, the company I work for it a mom-and-pop type store... just myself, the owner and his wife... so all of our customers know I'm moving/getting married... and having to repeat "no, it's not that easy" gets tiring sometimes, heh.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline

My fiance and I were going to go see it but decided to see "up" instead... good decision, that movie was great! The proposal looks like it has funny potential, but it also has the potential to be really stupid. But, after seeing some people enjoyed it maybe it would be worth a watch!

Hi Everyone,

SamandBen-Nope, sorry, you "can't just move here"...Lol..but that doesn't stop the "illegals" from doing such anyways! Now if we were all lucky enough to be married 50-100 years ago...then yes, that statement would be true...Unfortunately, times have changed, and now there's something called the USCIS! Oh well....

And yes, it does get tiring to say "it's not that easy".....Blah......

"You mean, you can't just move there?!"

If only people knew...

Of course, the company I work for it a mom-and-pop type store... just myself, the owner and his wife... so all of our customers know I'm moving/getting married... and having to repeat "no, it's not that easy" gets tiring sometimes, heh.

Sprailenes- :rofl: ....She falls into the lake in and gets chased by a tempermental dog in the movie...Not exactly a rusty spoon....but close enough....(lol..I'm not a Sandra Bullock fan either, though I'm kind of neutral about it....)...By the way, in the movie, she plays the mean, cruel, and bossy character......(though somewhat changes along the way...)....

I didn't see it, I don't want to.

I hate sandra bullock.. like I want to poke her in the eye with a rusty spoon. :)

Hugglebuggles-Glad you liked the movie "up" too! Hmmm...that's playing at the drive-in next week....Wonder if we should go see that too before I go into labour? Lol...though it's playing with Ice Age 3..which I've already seen! Oh well...If I don't see it at the movies, maybe I can rent/borrow a copy of it or something.....It sounds like an interesting movie! (was it the animated one about the old man and the balloons?). The proposal was worth the watch, but yes, some of it is silly too (lol..especially the immigration part of things)...So depending on your taste in movies...you might or might not like it...Either way, give it a try anyways...Hey, at least you can say you watched it with your fiance and it was nice that you got to spend time together!

My fiance and I were going to go see it but decided to see "up" instead... good decision, that movie was great! The proposal looks like it has funny potential, but it also has the potential to be really stupid. But, after seeing some people enjoyed it maybe it would be worth a watch!

Ant

Edited by AntandD

Timeline

I watched it last week, thought it was funny how easy they made it all look....like they would be interviewed after 3 days as well...I WISH! lol. The part with the grandma made me cry though.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.