• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Big cities, FTW!!! :dance:

Fact (source link a few posts above):

The 100 top urban metropolitan areas in the US account for about 12% of the physical mass, but yet account for 65% of the population, 75% of gross national product.

But the bumpkins will argue till they're blue in the fvckin' face.

They can argue all they want - as long as they stay out of my city :P

Mine too. Cities are efficient. They bring together people with widely diverse skill sets and facilitate economic growth, innovation, research, education and the arts. The very notion of things like symphony orchestras, museums, great universities and libraries and institutions of learning, major medical centers and teaching hospitals --would be entirely impossible without the infrastructure of great cities. The ability to efficiently bring people to and from their places of residence, work and leisure on efficient transportation grids (public transit, bicycles, walking) is only possible in urban areas.

Cities rock.

Great cities really rock!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Big cities, FTW!!! :dance:

Fact (source link a few posts above):

The 100 top urban metropolitan areas in the US account for about 12% of the physical mass, but yet account for 65% of the population, 75% of gross national product.

But the bumpkins will argue till they're blue in the fvckin' face.

They can argue all they want - as long as they stay out of my city :P

Mine too. Cities are efficient. They bring together people with widely diverse skill sets and facilitate economic growth, innovation, research, education and the arts. The very notion of things like symphony orchestras, museums, great universities and libraries and institutions of learning, major medical centers and teaching hospitals --would be entirely impossible without the infrastructure of great cities. The ability to efficiently bring people to and from their places of residence, work and leisure on efficient transportation grids (public transit, bicycles, walking) is only possible in urban areas.

Cities rock.

I will go along with that, cities are a nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. Can find just about anything out in the sticks, high speed internet, satellite TV, horseless carriages, etc. I can even turn up my 600 watt surround system as loud as I want too.

But what we are lacking is traffic jams, pollution, and long long lines. Parking anywhere around here is free, can walk in any store, and get a hello, Nick. Not far from skiing, snowmobiling, bike trails, ATV trails, airports, lakes, rivers, swimming, etc. By not far, within a mile.

In regards to theaters, concerts, opera, how many of you go to these three or four times a week at 150 bucks a ticket? How many of you can park 15 vehicles in your driveway with another 50 on the road if need be? Space is what you get out in the country.

Filed: Timeline

Nick, no way. You cannot find museums, art galleries, and the like. And yup, we do go, quite frequently. And there is no such thing as the diversity of foods, attractions and people you get in a big city.

The idea of living 20 miles away from another human is just not for me: oh! and I sooooooooooo do not want the store clerk to address me by my first name :hehe:

Remain in the boonies, if that is what you love :) but I would not be caught dead in a small town - :no:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Cities rock.

ya'll remember that the next time the sirens (police, ambulance, fire) keep you awake at night :D

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
California: $53.7 billion shortfall or 58 percent of its budget

there is a solution - wiki reports a statewide population of 36,756,666

across the board, everyone gets to pay $1460.96 more a year in state income tax :jest:

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Alaska: $1.35 billion shortfall or 30 percent of its budget

Isn't this the state run by the very governor that proudly celebrated her "responsible, fiscally conservative budget" for FY 2010 less than two months ago? Now she's put her state into the top 10 of the most broke states? First Wasilla, then Alaska. Good thing it stops right there.

"That drop caused the state's corporate taxes -- essentially all oil money -- to fall 32 percent compared to last year, creating a rare budget problem for Alaska. The state easily solved it this year by taking money out of flush reserve funds, built up during oil boom years. "

It seems someone had the sense to have at least something in reserve - did you read the link or just the short except given in the OP's post ?

Oh, I read it. How come you missed the rest of the story?

"But many state watchers questioned the future of Alaska's ability to fund its services and continue its annual Permanent Fund payments to residents.

That's one problem Gov. Sarah Palin won't have to deal with. She's announced her resignation from the job."

What this means is that there's a structural problem. Much like here in FL (where we currently take out of rainy day funds that were built up in better times) and we're not even on the list yet. The problem is that the structural issues are what needs to be addressed in order to keep the state's finances in order. That ain't happening. Not here in FL and evidently not out there in fiscally responsible and conservative Alaska. ;)

California: $53.7 billion shortfall or 58 percent of its budget

there is a solution - wiki reports a statewide population of 36,756,666

across the board, everyone gets to pay $1460.96 more a year in state income tax :jest:

No need, a big quake is building up. The state may end up in the Pacific. Budget problem solved.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
I'm not surprised Idaho missed the list. We actually had a several million surplus when Kempthorne was Governor and they gave some of it back to us in tax refunds. I wonder how we're doing now though?

This article about state budget deficits is pretty informative. It also includes some data about Idaho:

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=711

Timeline
Dam. To think I'll be moving to California next year. Lets hope the crime rate will not go up.

why would it go up because you move there? you gonna be thugging with your slide rule? :jest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Sates like Idaho and Iowa are good states, people are hard working and not living on top of each other with no major cities. If Wisconsin could dump Milwaukee and Madison, New York, New York and Albany, and Illinois dump Chicago and Springfield, they would be good states too.

It's those major cities and the capitols where all the parasites reside. Did I leave out the District of Colombia? Just one city there.

Just so you know, New York City taxpayers send over $3 billion annually to Albany more than we get back.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Sates like Idaho and Iowa are good states, people are hard working and not living on top of each other with no major cities. If Wisconsin could dump Milwaukee and Madison, New York, New York and Albany, and Illinois dump Chicago and Springfield, they would be good states too.

It's those major cities and the capitols where all the parasites reside. Did I leave out the District of Colombia? Just one city there.

Just so you know, New York City taxpayers send over $3 billion annually to Albany more than we get back.

Funny, no one works in NYC. After all, last time I went to NYC I didn't see any farmland at all. All I saw was a buncha crazy people driving around in circles, hailing taxis and climbing into those underground subway tunnels. Who knows what they do down there, whatever it is you city parasites do. Subterranean orgies, I bet. And all of it paid for with welfare checks and food stamps. City folk make me sick.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ya'll remember that the next time the sirens (police, ambulance, fire) keep you awake at night :D

You know what keeps me awake at night? The deathly quiet of the suburbs.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg