pedroh

Sarah Palin plans to sue The Internetz

95 posts in this topic

Couric: And when it comes to establishing your worldview, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this to stay informed and to understand the world?

A very convoluted question indeed Danno :lol:

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and lest we forget the sheer idiocy of the response, here it is:

Palin: I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.

Couric: What, specifically?

Palin: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years.

Couric: Can you name a few?

Palin: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where it's kind of suggested, "Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?" Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.

Quite. Need we say any more on the issue of Palin's myopic view?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Mostly the Guardian, the Independant, the Observer and the Times Danno. I also browsed the Sun and the Daily Mail. All were available at the local library. And you?

Edited by Madame Cleo

The Independant is a fairly new addition. I would try to read the Telagraph on occasion too, although I have to admit I found it ponderous. I liked the Guardian style the best, it was always more humerous, but not always intentionally. The Times has changed a great deal of course over the years. The old Times was a great newspaper, although of course very conservative. The new Times is really not a patch on the old one. The Mail and the Sun are various degrees of flim flam. The observer was the consummate Sunday paper for me, had a great magazine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Mostly the Guardian, the Independant, the Observer and the Times Danno. I also browsed the Sun and the Daily Mail. All were available at the local library. And you?

Sorry but I can't credit any newspaper or magazine of "shaping my world view".

Like many people I seldom read the same ones consistently especially since so many are available on-line.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i saw a report once that 75% of the brits take the guardian. the remaining 25% actually buy it.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Sorry but I can't credit any newspaper or magazine of "shaping my world view".

Like many people I seldom read the same ones consistently especially since so many are available on-line.

Curic did not ask which newspapers shaped her world view, just how she kept abreast of information, but if you can't even name ONE source that you regularly access, or even a selection, how can you possibly, possibly have a working knowledge of world politics, or even national?

As for shaping, I did not answer in terms that this was an exclusive list, but hey, if you think you scored a point, go for it.

:lol:

Edited by Madame Cleo

Yeah palin was bushwhacked with that totally unfair "gotcha" question. Personal responsibility indeed

I think these interviews show exactly what type of politician she is, or rather isn't. She is totally incapable of accepting her current limitations and these attempts to ad lib past an inconvenient question with this homey gimmick stuff only fools those who wish to be fooled, in my opinion.

Seriously, you do need to read a paper consistently otherwise you have no clue as to the underlying bias and shape of the paper. Yes, many are indeed available online, so now there is less excuse than there ever was - although the library always had all of the daily's and many regionals in my home town, as I am sure in every home town around.

Timeline
Seriously, you do need to read a paper consistently otherwise you have no clue as to the underlying bias and shape of the paper. Yes, many are indeed available online, so now there is less excuse than there ever was - although the library always had all of the daily's and many regionals in my home town, as I am sure in every home town around.

bbbut we are not talking about "reading newspapers" we are talking about crediting them for shaping your "world view".

World-view and "view of the world" are not the same thing.

William Penn

Danno, are you seriously trying to suggest that there is something spurious about discussing ones opinions, and how one gathers information to form them? This is not some clever magic you know, there is no smoke or mirrors. We all need informational sources. A good newspaper, with good journalists provides useful information on many and varied topics. Sure, they are slanted to their own proprietorial bias, which is whey we need to read regularly to know what these are and broadly to keep a more balanced view but not regularly reading newspapers and magazines and somehow thinking one can be up to date on national and international news is, well quite frankly absurd.

Timeline
Danno, are you seriously trying to suggest that there is something spurious about discussing ones opinions, and how one gathers information to form them? This is not some clever magic you know, there is no smoke or mirrors. We all need informational sources. A good newspaper, with good journalists provides useful information on many and varied topics. Sure, they are slanted to their own proprietorial bias, which is whey we need to read regularly to know what these are and broadly to keep a more balanced view but not regularly reading newspapers and magazines and somehow thinking one can be up to date on national and international news is, well quite frankly absurd.

I think you misunderstand me completely.

The first time I saw the tape of the question where Palin was asked " what news papers or mags formed her "World view" I was a little baffled too.

Usually a "world view" (from my understanding) is kinda like the prism one looks at life through.

It is usually formed in religion, education, life experiences, great thinkers in history... something meaningful.

To say TIME magazine formed my "world view" is well.... kinda light-weight, which makes the question odd to me, ...suggesting that her world-view would have come from a newspaper.

Do you thing Martin Luther King got his World-view from a monthly rag?

I would bet Barack formed a lot more of his world-view sitting all those years under the tutoring of Rev Right or other political thinkers than any News Paper.

If Katie wanted to know where Palin gets her news..... why didn't she just ask that?

But Of course that would have been a different question.

William Penn