seakayaker

New free tool for studying the 100 questions

166 posts in this topic

This is my favorite YouTube video - I play it in my car, and just listen to the audio on the way to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgc5FP2wd9s 

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline
On 2/27/2018 at 10:11 AM, marriedtomrg said:

This is my favorite YouTube video - I play it in my car, and just listen to the audio on the way to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgc5FP2wd9s 

Thats what helped me pass. That one plus her other video in random order with one answer each!

very helpful

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

so when questions ask about something with multiple answers do I have to answer with all of them or just one from them?

like here:

37. What does the judicial branch do?

▪ reviews laws

▪ explains laws

▪ resolves disputes (disagreements)

▪ decides if a law goes against the Constitution

If I'll answer"Reviews law" Would that be enough? or do I have to say all four of the answers?

thanks and sorry if this been answered before.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2018 at 8:51 PM, krzysztof said:

so when questions ask about something with multiple answers do I have to answer with all of them or just one from them?

like here:

37. What does the judicial branch do?

▪ reviews laws

▪ explains laws

▪ resolves disputes (disagreements)

▪ decides if a law goes against the Constitution

If I'll answer"Reviews law" Would that be enough? or do I have to say all four of the answers?

thanks and sorry if this been answered before.

One answer is enough unless the questions ask for more. For example:

Question 64: There were 13 original states. Name three.

Hope this helps.

**N-400** 06-27-2018 : N-400 online & NOA1 || 07-07-18 : received Bio Appt e-mail notification || 07-27-18 : Biometrics reviewed || 09-25-18 : OFFICIAL 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY || 11-06-18 : Interview 

|| 12-18-2018 : APPROVED; in line to be scheduled for Oathtaking || 02-11-19 : OATHTAKING CEREMONY --

**ROC** (pending)  07-26-2017 : I-751 sent || 07-31-2017 : NOA1 || 09-05-2017 : Biometrics || 08-09-2018 : Case transferred to local office || 12-18-2018 : Card in production || 12-26-18 : received GC --

**AOS/EAD/AP** 02-20-2015 : AOS filed || 02-24-2015 : NOA1 || 03-19-2015 : Biometrics || 04-30-2015 : EAD&AP approved || 05-05-2015 : EAD&AP received || 09-25-2015 : Conditional GC approved || 10-02-2015 : GC received --

**K-1** 08-12-2014 : I-129F Sent || 08-14-2014 : NOA1 || 09-03-2014 : NOA2 || 09-10-2014 : Petition transferred from USCIS to NVC || 09-18-2014 : NVC received || 09-24-2014 : US Embassy MNL received our case || 10-14-2014 : Medical Exam done! || 10-23-2014 : Interview || 10-31-2014 : Passport & Visa on hand --

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2018 at 11:11 AM, marriedtomrg said:

I love this video too. Easy to learn the civics with this video.

On 12/7/2016 at 9:58 AM, ptm897 said:

I will tell you the easiest way to study the 100 questions.. I am an Immigration Officer that spent 10 years interviewing the N-400 application at our Field Office, I no longer interview but I do spend a lot of time talking to N-400 applicants when they come into my ASC site and get their biometrics taken for their application. I show them this simple way of studying for the 100 questions and I'm telling you honestly it is the fastest and easiest way to study. Stay away from the phone apps, the CD and the book, why??? Because you are constantly looking at and hearing too much information that is not needed to successfully pass the test. The administration of the history/civics tests is standard across all of our Field Offices, the test is administered orally, so you are never looking at a written multiple choice question, the Officer will ask you the question verbally and you must respond verbally.

So as you can see in the questions that many of them indicate, Name one or Name two in the question and then they give you multiple choices to pick from, only study what you have to and not more, so for every single question that asks you to Name one thing or Name two things, you go through those questions and pick out the one or two answers that you like and are easy for you to remember and you put that answer on your flash card, then for the questions that don't specifically ask you to name one or name two things and just asks the question like "Why did the colonists fight the British" and it gives you more than one choice, then for these questions the answer defaults to just one of the choices, the Officer does not expect you to say all three of the choices that are there for that question, as long as you give one answer that is fine, believe me the Officer does not want you rattling off all of the choices because we have to write down all of your answers, and only one answer for those questions is necessary to have passed that question. Many times for the questions that don't specifically ask you to name one or name two things and it gives you more than one choice, it is many times a different way of saying the same thing.

The best way to study the 100 questions is to go to the store, and do this old fashioned, buy a set of blank index/flash cards and make your own flash cards. Go through the entire book and write out each question on one side of the card, then on the other side put the answer, but again remember only do what the question asks you, if the Question says "There were 13 original states, name 3" Do not try to memorize more than 3, pick three, and put those down on the flash card and only remember those three, etc.. and go on for all of the questions and only pick the one or two answers you have to remember. And again, the Officer does not care which ones you give them, as long as it is just one answer or two if the questions ask you to name 2 things etc.. you are fine,

Also when you sit down to study never ever ever sit down and go through all 100 questions in one sitting, that is just too much information overload at one time, Just sit down every night with just 5 questions at a time for about 15-20 mins and only study those 5 questions that night, then the next night study 5 different questions and so on, if you follow this simple way of studying you will have all 100 questions memorized in just 20 days.

Believe me this really helps and is a much more efficient way of studying than trying to do it online with some online quiz, or with a phone app or with the CD or with the book directly. Why???? Because when you are studying like that, you are constantly looking at ALL of the choices for the questions, so for every question that says Name one or Name two and you see a huge list of choices, your eyes are always staring at those other choices and that can be confusing, and if you are listening to the CD then you are hearing them list ALL of the choices, just let your brain focus on the one or two answers you need to memorize for each question. There is only 1 question that asks you to name three things, and that is the question, "There were 13 original states, name three" every other question is just asking you to name one or name two and again for the questions that don't specifically name one or two then those questions just require you to give one answer.

The day of the interview the officer randomly pulls a test sheet, and we have 10 different test sheets that have 10 questions already on them, we must ask only those 10 questions and cannot pick and choose which questions we ask you, if we pull test number 1 then you get asked all of the 10 questions on test number 1, you must get 6 out of 10 questions correctly and we are told that if you answer the first 6 questions in a row correctly then we are to stop the history test as you already passed and then move on to the writing and reading portion.

I hope all this info was helpful,

Thank you so much for this important advise.

• 6 months later...
On 5/25/2017 at 6:58 PM, mounir412 said:

Although the above May 2017 flash cards are the most recent version USCIS has for free (and for sale), the answer for Question 47 (page 98) is outdated since January 3, 2019. Page 98 of the December 2009 version has the correct answer: https://web.archive.org/web/20100922175528/http://www.uscis.gov:80/USCIS/Office of Citizenship/Citizenship Resource Center Site/Publications/PDFs/M-623_red_slides.pdf

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

This tool is awesome. I like that it doesn't give out the answers until you tell it to, so that you can first answer on your own and then check to see if it was correct or not. It DOES need to be updated for the current President, Vice-President and Speaker of the House, but other than that (and you needing to know your own state Governor, Capitol, Senators and Representative) it's great for studying. Major kudos, @seakayaker !

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 2/18/2020 at 8:28 PM, SparklePony said:

This tool is awesome. I like that it doesn't give out the answers until you tell it to, so that you can first answer on your own and then check to see if it was correct or not. It DOES need to be updated for the current President, Vice-President and Speaker of the House, but other than that (and you needing to know your own state Governor, Capitol, Senators and Representative) it's great for studying. Major kudos, @seakayaker !

I am sorry for not having this quiz updated. I will work on it and post a link to an updated version when it is ready. It should have been a quick thing but the server hosting this will not allow me to log in and my account is too old to change the password. Their link is even broken for how to update passwords on accounts that are over 9 years old.  Oh well. So I will have to host it elsewhere. Stay tuned. :)

Watch me struggle at the piano with a piece from the French movie Amélie on YouTube:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The tests (English and Spanish) have just been updated. The links are the same. Just re-load the page to see the new version (it has a 2020 at the bottom of the page vs. the 2009 that was there before). Updated: President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, and Party of the  President. Let me know if I need to change more things.

Watch me struggle at the piano with a piece from the French movie Amélie on YouTube:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Oh wow, quick! THANK YOU!

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.