ikarus

how we applied for expedite advance parole thru the phone

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

We read thru the posts on the forums, and we saw how some people applied for EXPEDITED advance parole in person, or thru the phone.

We sent the AOS packet with the 131 early january, and got the NOA for all that jan 26. As my wife wishes to travel by end of this month, we wanted to expedite the AP, so we went to the local office in person, after making the info pass appointment.

When our turn came, the officer at the window said that expedited APs cannot be done in person. We asked the man, 'are you sure? we know of cases where this has been done in person.' And the man said, 'no, this needs to be done through the mail.' We left and proceeded to call the 800 number on the notice 2 different times.

We spoke to 2 different agents, and after they read a script of how you can qualify for an AP, then they ask, how can they help. We asked if we could expedite the AP, and two different people on the phone told us to mail in the form as instructed on the instructions for the 131. We asked if we could do it over the phone, and both of them said no. We decided to call again next day. By the way, so sit in and navigate through all the options, takes about 10 min... :wacko:

We called again today, and this time we spoke to an agent that after reading the same script that we got read yesterday, said: 'do you qualify for an expedited ap?' we said yes. Then she said, 'which of the following reasons do you qualify for?' We then said, emergency case. Then she said, "to expedite the ap over the phone, i need your receipt number and alien number." we gave those details and then she said, 'give me a brief reason why this needs to be expedited. If we need more proof, we will request it from you.' We gave the brief reason, she gave us a number as a reference for the call, and that was it.

Now, to get to the agent, we went through the following menus:

-When you call the 800 number that is in your NOA, you first choose 1 for english.

-in the next option, we select 2, which is to report a problem.

Then it says, 'if you know your receipt number, press 1' We pressed 1, and then you have to dial in your receipt number that starts with MSC....

-The automated voice reads back your number, and you press 1 again to verify that the number is correct.

The automated voice then gives you the status of your case, such as the date it was received, the date they sent the notice, etc.

Then when it finishes with all that, it asks you to select again from another menu.

-From that menu we selected 3, which was something like 'to report a problem with your case....'

-Again, another long menu, and this time we choose 6, to request expedited parole.

-Then we chose 1, and I don't recall what the choice was, but i think it was expedited processing.

-Then an agent comes on the line, and she is reading from a script saying stuff like, 'to qualify for an expedited ap, you must satisfy the following criteria...' When she is finished with that, then you can talk to her!!!!

So bottom line, call, and call and call, until you get somebody that can expedite it for you. AS you have read, 2 different agents told us yesterday that it couldn't be done thru the phone!!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: With the agent today, we didn't even open our mouth, she asked, if we qualified, and after that, she asked for details, and that was that. Of course, we don't know if it will be approved or not, and we have to wait 5 days for the answer, but, yes, you can request your expedited ap thru the phone.

Also, our appt for the biometrics is in florida; because of work we are temporarily in texas and as we are next door to the ASC, we went there to see if we could do our biometrics there, and that was not a problem. So yes, you can do your biometrics as a walk in, in a completely different office from your appointed place.

Hope this helps others.

Edited by ikarus

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Timeline
Had you already applied for your AP with your I-485? (Your timeline is still showing as K-1.)

Yes, I stated that early in the post:

"We sent the AOS packet with the 131 early january, and got the NOA for all that jan 26."

So once we got NOA's for the 485, 131 and EAD, then we called to expedite the ap. My wife was trying to update the timeline but her net connection kept failing her so I posted this from work at the time.

AOS

Filed: Timeline
Had you already applied for your AP with your I-485? (Your timeline is still showing as K-1.)

Yes, I stated that early in the post:

"We sent the AOS packet with the 131 early january, and got the NOA for all that jan 26."

So once we got NOA's for the 485, 131 and EAD, then we called to expedite the ap. My wife was trying to update the timeline but her net connection kept failing her so I posted this from work at the time.

Oh, sorry. It was early morning and the first post I read. post-21394-1234115371.gif :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Just to update, we got our ap approved letter today, along with the ap document! All came through the mail.

AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Just to update, we got our ap approved letter today, along with the ap document! All came through the mail.

Congrats Ikarus! Is Chicago also where your emergency AP was sent from?

It has been 2 weeks since ours was approved but we haven't gotten it in the mail yet.

Our story: Expedited AP by phone.

The original package AP/EAD/485 had already been filed with Chicago Lockbox Jan 16. On behalf of my husband, I called the USCIS on Feb. 2 to EXPEDITE. They asked a bunch of questions and told me they would to pull the "in process" AP and turn it into "Expedite".

Two days later, we were asked by email to fax evidence, and the expedite AP was approved Feb. 6. They said it should be coming in the mail any day and that it was definitely approved. I even spoke with 2 "officers" the next rank up from the regular phone people to make sure.

One officer said it could take up to 30 days for an expedite to be processed. Well, my husband's dad could be dead by then, so...

:blink:! My husband flew Feb. 18th anyway since his father is litereally dying. We are taking the chance that the AP will come soon. I plan on using DHL to send the AP docs to him in Mexico so he can get back into the US in a few weeks. His biometrics were done Feb. 12. We do know that the AP was approved prior to his departure and that is KEY to having a chance to get back into the US.

Comment appreciated, thank you.

Timeline

Congrats Ikarus! Is Chicago also where your emergency AP was sent from?

It has been 2 weeks since ours was approved but we haven't gotten it in the mail yet.

Our story: Expedited AP by phone.

The original package AP/EAD/485 had already been filed with Chicago Lockbox Jan 16. On behalf of my husband, I called the USCIS on Feb. 2 to EXPEDITE. They asked a bunch of questions and told me they would to pull the "in process" AP and turn it into "Expedite".

Two days later, we were asked by email to fax evidence, and the expedite AP was approved Feb. 6. They said it should be coming in the mail any day and that it was definitely approved. I even spoke with 2 "officers" the next rank up from the regular phone people to make sure.

One officer said it could take up to 30 days for an expedite to be processed. Well, my husband's dad could be dead by then, so...

:blink:! My husband flew Feb. 18th anyway since his father is litereally dying. We are taking the chance that the AP will come soon. I plan on using DHL to send the AP docs to him in Mexico so he can get back into the US in a few weeks. His biometrics were done Feb. 12. We do know that the AP was approved prior to his departure and that is KEY to having a chance to get back into the US.

Comment appreciated, thank you.

Yes, the AP came from chicago. I just looked where it was mailed from, and it has a chicago zip code. We requested the ap to be expedited on the feb 6th, i see from the envelope that it got mailed on the 11th. We received it on the 14th.

As far as leaving before having the AP parole in hand, I honestly don't know. All the responses I have seen here in the forums advise against leaving without the AP in hand.

IF you go to this page, it says:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Caution

Due to recent changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status. In general, individuals who seek immigrant status or who are already legal permanent residents, and who depart the United States without the appropriate documentation, may be inadmissible to the United States. In addition, their applications may be denied if they do not have the proper travel documents or if they are otherwise inadmissible.

Now, we specifically spoke to a lawyer that handles immigration cases and she told us some of her clients were approved, they left the country without AP in hand, spouse received AP and mailed it to spouse, and there was no problem. Her argument was that when you leave the country they don't do anything with the AP. A friend of mine traveled with the AP, and she said they only took it when she came back---so how would they know you left the country without it?

Maybe you can start a new topic with----"has anybody left the country after AP was approved, but not with the AP at hand upon usa departure.?"

Honestly, I don't know.

Something else... if your ap was approved, person leaves the usa with it, and then AP is lost, I do know of a case where the person went to her local embassy and got some travel document. There is a fee for that, but I also know of a case like that, but that happened about 3 years ago. NOt sure how things have changed nowadays though.

AOS

Timeline

Thank you ikarus. Talked with my senator's office today and they put the word in to have the AP overnighted now. They confirmed it was surely approved. I will know more from them this Monday what actually will take place. They also said definitely use a secure courier like DHL to send the AP to Mexico, and to an DHL office, not a residence address.. Of course I would keep photo copies here too.

I surmised from USCIS that if the original AP is lost in transit, and the petitioner has already left the country, they would have to start the whole Adjustment of Status over again and pay again as well. This means the petitioner would have to stay in their country until a new AP is issued. Ugh. Don't wanna go down that road...

M

Timeline
I surmised from USCIS that if the original AP is lost in transit, and the petitioner has already left the country, they would have to start the whole Adjustment of Status over again and pay again as well. This means the petitioner would have to stay in their country until a new AP is issued. Ugh. Don't wanna go down that road...

M

Maybe all that is needed to re-enter the country on a lost AP would be a transportation letter, but all i can find is that transportation letters are given when a green card is lost... best thing to do is not lose ap i suppose :whistle:

AOS

Timeline

M

Maybe all that is needed to re-enter the country on a lost AP would be a transportation letter, but all i can find is that transportation letters are given when a green card is lost... best thing to do is not lose ap i suppose :whistle:

;)

Just want to let everyone know that we received the AP today and it turns out USCIS mixed up the Expedite and used it for the EAD instead of for the AP. That is what our senator's office explained. That is also why we got the EAD last Monday so quickly before the AP. How bizarre. I am now sending my husband the AP documents by DHL so he can return into the U.S.

As you can see, this was another case of USCIS incompetence. I am so glad I called my senator's office.

Filed: Timeline

M

;)

Just want to let everyone know that we received the AP today and it turns out USCIS mixed up the Expedite and used it for the EAD instead of for the AP. That is what our senator's office explained. That is also why we got the EAD last Monday so quickly before the AP. How bizarre. I am now sending my husband the AP documents by DHL so he can return into the U.S.

As you can see, this was another case of USCIS incompetence. I am so glad I called my senator's office.

Congrats on getting the AP.

I hope the Approved date on the AP is before the date your husband left the US or you could have big trouble getting back in to the US.

If you leave the US before the AP is approved then you are abandoning your AOS and the AP is void. This has happened to others and they have had to start over from outside the US with a spousal visa.

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am in the same situation as you all were, I just looked at the dates and noticed your posts were from 2 years ago, but I am still hoping I could get some answers.

I applied for my AP and my I-485 (AOS) together on May5th, we have planned a wedding ceremony in Turkey in September, but I was very worried that my AP would not come by then and that both families and us will be out A LOT of money. so I called the USCIS today to ask them what the criteria for expediting the AP is (I wasnt planing on doing it, I just wanted to know how it works in case I need it), but the lady I talked to just took down all the info and said I will send your info to the main office and you will have an answer with in 5days.

Now I am worried if this is going to mess up my AP that is already being processed and if the whole thing is going to be put on hold if they ask for more evidence.

I don't know what I should/can do now. should I just wait and see how it goes, or should I plan on canceling the wedding, which means we would lose lots of money anyways.

would I get the AP in time??

If you filed your paperwork in May, chances are you will have your AP if not your green card by September. Asking for expedited AP shouldn't hurt it, but a wedding is generally not a good reason, so it will probably be denied. I wouldn't stress about it too much though - more than likely you will receive your AP in time.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

thanks for the reply. I did apply in May, but I got an RFE which kinda put everything on hold for 3 weeks, until they got my RFE in June 16th. I dont know if my AP was also put on hold or not, the USCIS website only showed that my AOS was put on hold until June 16th which they started reviewing my evidence request documents. so that adds 3 weeks to my process.

I really hope it all works out.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the info.

We filled AOS,EAD,AP last 31st of January 2013 and we were expecting to get the AP/ EAD card before the green card.

March 29, 2013 - I got my EAD card (but nothing for my daughter), which makes me wonder why because we filled the same time. I called the USCIS and he said it usually takes 3 to 4 months for those cards to process though I got mine early, but when I checked the processing timeframe on their website it says 3 months which we will be in 3 months by the 30th of April, 2013. Now, I'm so worried because what if we didn't get it on time? We have the big Church wedding day celebration in the Philippines by June and we already purchased the ticket leaving on the 29th of May 2013. Now, since we didn't get the AP yet, we are thinking an request to expedite it. Is that possible while our application are on process? Which best way to do, thru phone, email or fax? I just can't sleep at all thinking about our AP. Everything are almost set in the Philippines and my hubby families has been purchased their tickets too to be in the wedding. How long it takes to expedite AP?

Thank you and hope someone could help me. God bless

G

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.