Sign in to follow this  
w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

"Higher level" IT jobs are next! (offshoring continues)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

November 3, 2008 (Computerworld)

IT workers and managers who believe their jobs are at too high a level to be sent overseas may want to look at Affiliated Computer Services Inc.'s plan to boost its offshore outsourcing operations by moving "more complex, higher paying" jobs to countries outside the U.S.

Dallas-based ACS, which provides IT and business process outsourcing services to a wide range of corporate and government clients, currently employs about 63,000 people, 20,000 of them in low-cost offshore locations. But in a conference call last Thursday on its financial results for the quarter that ended Sept. 30, ACS detailed plans to increase the number of employees working offshore by 4,200 during its current fiscal year, which began July.

"To have a greater financial impact, we will be moving a higher percentage of more complex, higher paying jobs offshore, including management and application development roles," ACS President and CEO Lynn Blodgett said during the call.

ACS has been gradually shifting jobs to offshore and near-shore centers in the Philippines, Mexico, Jamaica, Guatemala and India. In its 2006 fiscal year, just under 25% of the company's workforce was based outside of the U.S. Now, nearly 35% of its workers are overseas, according to a presentation used by ACS officials during the conference call.

Tom Burlin, chief operating officer at ACS, filled in some of the details about the jobs that will be affected by the additional offshore moves. "We've done a great job in moving base production-level jobs offshore but have decided," he said, "to aggressively move more of our higher-level jobs, like production managers, higher-level back-office functions and higher-level development roles, to lower-cost locations."

"High-level jobs are just as vulnerable [to offshoring] as mid- and low-level jobs," said Ron Hira, an assistant professor of public policy at the Rochester Institute of Technology and co-author of the book Outsourcing America. Every IT services firm, big or small, is shifting more advanced technology jobs offshore, Hira said.

"For U.S. IT workers, look out: You're not going to be safe," he added. "The Wall Street analysts will be pushing companies even more to accelerate their offshoring projects. This is just the beginning of a shift of technological capabilities to low-cost countries." The relocation of jobs, Hira claimed, is being "aided and abetted by horrible U.S. public policies that subsidize these shifts."

In a separate move, pharmaceutical maker Pfizer Inc. detailed cost-reduction strategies in an earnings call last month and said it had "a wide array of outsourcing opportunities in various stages of implementation." That included projects within its manufacturing, logistics, finance, facilities, legal and IT departments.

Citing unidentified sources, The Day, a newspaper in New London, Conn., today reported that over the past few months, Pfizer has been training foreign workers at facilities in New London and Groton, Conn., in preparation for transferring much of its IT work from locally employed contractors to outside firms.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9118938

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Timeline

Indian firms to grab $4 Billion offshoring deals

Monday, 12 January 2009

Bangalore: The current year will bring $4 billion worth outsourcing deals to Indian IT bellwethers. Australian phone firm, Telstra's $250 million outsourcing contract is among the top deals, which is expected to be finalized by the end of the month.

Among the other companies, there are the top outsourcers like British Telecom (BT), Citi, General Electronics (GE) and Bank of America, who will award deals worth between $50 million and $100 million. "These new contracts shall also include long-term application maintenance," Outsourcing Expert, Sabyasachi S Sathyaparasad of Mindplex Consulting told The Economic Times.

Citibank pinpoints the fact that amidst recession, where firms are deliberately counting on cost-cuts there will be greater demand for moving more work to offshore locations like India. For instance, Telstra plans to reduce the number of vendors, have one supplier for each domain across product lines and thus bring down the cost of managing IT systems.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

That's it, I'm fed up with all these IT jobs being sold off to the lowest bidder.. I think we need to find out where they are moving the jobs then move over there and take them back! :lol:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Oh. Yay.

Well, I hope Expeditors doesn't decide to follow suit.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
worried yet, aj?

no.

maybe i'm imagining things but it almost sounds like you want me to be :lol:

nah, i'm just waiting for you to move out here and work for the government :D

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
worried yet, aj?

no.

maybe i'm imagining things but it almost sounds like you want me to be :lol:

nah, i'm just waiting for you to move out here and work for the government :D

picguntoheadvd0.jpg

ah come on, you know you want to work for THE MAN! :jest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline
:lol:

hey, i work for a soulless insurance company right now, uncle sam is only a tiny step down :innocent:

but uncle sam is bound to employ you longer :devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

not surprising, I am quiting after being in this job for the last 10 years, the past 2 mostly involved training guys from singapore to take over the jobs from the guys that are getting laid off.

Singapore govt. pay the salary of those workers when they come here from the On Job training, even if they still get their salary by the company but the sing govt reimburse the company.

Now when I move to a new group people already know their days are numbered, it's like a curse since my 1st project was successful now i am the guy they send to look at cost reduction opportunities, and to move offshore, so after two division and over 200 families affected, this time I let my manager know I am going along with the guys that are losing their Jobs, I don't want to do it anymore please Lay me off so at least I go out with my compensation package, because either way I am out, hopefully he keeps his words and give me my slips once i am done by the summer.

I think it's time to start outsourcing the CEOs, THE VPs, then they would start to feel the pain and knows what it feels like, you have so many folks many decision knowing fully well, they will never get affected by it. They already got their millions of Bonus, stock options for them the salary is the least of their worry compare to the engineers whose working their B.tt off to get the company where it's at today.

Gone but not Forgotten!