Shilps.Vik

Confused... K-1 or K-3 for us??

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everybody, :)

We're very new to the forum and already finding its an incredible place to find out useful information and to listen to other people's stories too. Thanks so much already. :thumbs:

I've tried reading as much as I can so far, including the FAQ's and Guides, but there's a couple of questions I have as beginner.

Here is a little background first -

I live and work in the UK and my fiance is a US Citizen living in the US. We've met numerous times already and know we want to spend the rest of our lives together as a married couple, most likely in the USA. We plan to be officially engaged in a few months, and were thinking of getting married then too. I would then immediately return to the UK and continue my job until I was in a position to sell my home, tie up loose ends, get visa approvals, etc, and then move to the USA.

Up until now we thought the K-3 Visa would be the best route for us... but after futher reading, we see we need to provide considerable evidence of the existence of our marriage when applying (joint ownership/bank statements, etc) - evidence we would not have as we would be living apart.

I am also now under the impression that a K3 is a lot more complicated and takes much longer than the K-1 route too ( naturally we want to be together as soon as possible).

So taking this brief information into account, I would ask your opinions/advice on -

1) DO you think applying for a K-3 Visa is sensible in our case - or should we go the K-1 route?

2) IF we take the K-3 route, can either of us travel between UK and USA to be with each other during the application?

3) CAN my fiance visit me here in the UK during the early stages of a K-1 application (before the visa is actually issued to me)?

3) WITH the K-1, once I have got the visa, married my fiance and (hopefully) received my permanent residency letter, can I then RETURN to the UK for 3 months with my fiance to sell my home, etc - or do I have to stay in the USA for a certain period of time after?

Your help and guidance will be much appreciated friends. :)

God bless and many thanks.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi everybody, :)

We're very new to the forum and already finding its an incredible place to find out useful information and to listen to other people's stories too. Thanks so much already. :thumbs:

I've tried reading as much as I can so far, including the FAQ's and Guides, but there's a couple of questions I have as beginner.

Here is a little background first -

I live and work in the UK and my fiance is a US Citizen living in the US. We've met numerous times already and know we want to spend the rest of our lives together as a married couple, most likely in the USA. We plan to be officially engaged in a few months, and were thinking of getting married then too. I would then immediately return to the UK and continue my job until I was in a position to sell my home, tie up loose ends, get visa approvals, etc, and then move to the USA.

Up until now we thought the K-3 Visa would be the best route for us... but after futher reading, we see we need to provide considerable evidence of the existence of our marriage when applying (joint ownership/bank statements, etc) - evidence we would not have as we would be living apart.

I am also now under the impression that a K3 is a lot more complicated and takes much longer than the K-1 route too ( naturally we want to be together as soon as possible).

So taking this brief information into account, I would ask your opinions/advice on -

1) DO you think applying for a K-3 Visa is sensible in our case - or should we go the K-1 route?

2) IF we take the K-3 route, can either of us travel between UK and USA to be with each other during the application?

3) CAN my fiance visit me here in the UK during the early stages of a K-1 application (before the visa is actually issued to me)?

3) WITH the K-1, once I have got the visa, married my fiance and (hopefully) received my permanent residency letter, can I then RETURN to the UK for 3 months with my fiance to sell my home, etc - or do I have to stay in the USA for a certain period of time after?

Your help and guidance will be much appreciated friends. :)

God bless and many thanks.

Either will work for you but I would skip the K3 and go the CR1 route if you decide to marry before filing a petition. K1 is probably the fastest way to live together in the US but it will entail you being out of work for several months. If that doesn't work for you, CR1 is the solution. Sometimes fastest is not the best.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Either will work for you but I would skip the K3 and go the CR1 route if you decide to marry before filing a petition. K1 is probably the fastest way to live together in the US but it will entail you being out of work for several months. If that doesn't work for you, CR1 is the solution. Sometimes fastest is not the best.

Many thanks for the feedback pushbrk....

does anyone know if my US fiance can visit me in the UK while we apply for a CR1 - or is she tied to the USA too?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

USC can travel wherever he/she likes while the petition is being processed. The beneficiary is usually fine to come to the US for visits as well. As long as that person can prove ties to their home Country to show they have no immigrant intent when entering the U.S..

Just to clarify a bit regarding the K-1 route... once the beneficiary arrives on the K-1 Visa you have 90 days in which to marry. As soon as you are married you can then apply for AOS. With the cost of AOS ($1010), AP (travel) and EAD (work) are also applied for. This normally only takes a matter of a couple months and it is in that time only the beneficiary should not leave the Country (without AP).

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.