cherylc522

traveling info

8 posts in this topic

my interview is on jan 27th and i plan on leaving on the 7th of feb, will i have any problems getting my visa fast enough from montreal? from what i see it only takes a day or 2 to get it. also, im going to be driving across to buffalo and flying from there, is there anything i should know about the border crossing? im not taking any electronics or household goods, just books and personal items, will i have any problems with these? are there forms or anything i should have together in advance? and will the people driving me have any problems? and how long does it usually take to get accross the border when you drive? i would have to give enough time for all this in order to make my flight in time, also, is there a limit on how much money i can take across with me? i planned on taking my money out of my bank account here and carrying it accross with me

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on your interview date.

The only part I can answer for you is regarding your personal belongings crossing the border. For that, make sure you pack neatly and have things organized in like manner. Example - books are packed with books; clothes packed with clothes; etc. Then, make a list of how many boxes and what thy contain; example - 4 boxes of books, 5 boxes of clothes, 3 boxes kitchen, etc. You want to make it as easy as possible for the border folks to see what you have and reference your paperwork.

If there are anyquestionable items you plan on taking (food, pet supplies, etc) check the Buffalo CBP (customs and border patrol) website via google to see what they limit or deny.

As for how long at the border... for a normal border crossing, depending on traffic, it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or more. But for crossing with a visa and personal belongings... I would be very sure you give yourself several hours in order to comfortably make it to your flight.

Best of luck and congrats!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
my interview is on jan 27th and i plan on leaving on the 7th of feb, will i have any problems getting my visa fast enough from montreal? from what i see it only takes a day or 2 to get it. also, im going to be driving across to buffalo and flying from there, is there anything i should know about the border crossing? im not taking any electronics or household goods, just books and personal items, will i have any problems with these? are there forms or anything i should have together in advance? and will the people driving me have any problems? and how long does it usually take to get accross the border when you drive? i would have to give enough time for all this in order to make my flight in time, also, is there a limit on how much money i can take across with me? i planned on taking my money out of my bank account here and carrying it accross with me

No limit on the money you can take with you.

You shouldn't have a problem getting the visa within 10 days, haven't heard of many where it has taken that long. A few people have managed to pick up their visa lately in Montreal - you can ask the CO after your interview about that.

No problem taking your personal items.

If you are taking more than 2 or three boxes - number the boxes and have an itemized list. Box 1, books and CD's - Box 2 - clothing.

How long it takes to get across the border depends on how busy the border is when you get there and how experienced the border person is who gets stuck processing your visa :lol: - figure at least an hour, which border crossing will you be using?

Edited by trailmix

You shouldn't have a problem getting the visa within 10 days, haven't heard of many where it has taken that long. A few people have managed to pick up their visa lately in Montreal - you can ask the CO after your interview about that.

If you are taking more than 2 or three boxes - number the boxes and have an itemized list. Box 1, books and CD's - Box 2 - clothing.

How long it takes to get across the border depends on how busy the border is when you get there and how experienced the border person is who gets stuck processing your visa :lol: - figure at least an hour, which border crossing will you be using?

i will be sure and number and list everything thank you for that, i wont be able to pick it up in montreal so im hoping this mailing thing they do is fast too :) im not sure of the border, i guess i would cross at niagra falls to get to buffalo? is that right? its been a long time since ive been down that way but i think thtas right,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i will be sure and number and list everything thank you for that, i wont be able to pick it up in montreal so im hoping this mailing thing they do is fast too :) im not sure of the border, i guess i would cross at niagra falls to get to buffalo? is that right? its been a long time since ive been down that way but i think thtas right,

I crossed at the Queenston/Lewiston bridge at 5am, I would just recommend getting there either EARLY or late. Mid-day will be busier, at 5am I was the only person in the office and was processed in 1/2 hour. It was a Saturday too.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are going to the airport in Buffalo you have two options to cross: Queenston/Lewiston or continue to the end of the QEW to the Peace Bridge. Check out the reviews from the POE link on VJ.

Good luck.

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would definitely cross at the Peace Bridge. Give yourself plenty of time, because you never really know how long it could take.

Why on earth are you going to travel with your money? I don't know how much many you plan on taking out and bringing, but I wouldn't do it. Get them to give you a money order or something. It's ajust a bit risky if you ask me. Plus the CDN sucks right now, it might be more worthwhile to only take what you need right now and wait, seems to be rising a bit.... but that just my opinion!!

I would probably also give yourself more than 2 days to get your visa. It took a few people 2 weeks to get theirs in the mail. Although, I'm not sure if you can pick it up now? Is that what you're referring to? If so then ignore that!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Timeline

Cross at either Lewiston or Fort Erie. I crossed at the Peace Bridge. (Fort Erie) Never cross at the Rainbow bridge. Allow yourself at least two hours for the border alone. You can bring your money with you but you must declare anything from 10k up. Don't bring that kind of cash, though, because you'll be made to prove it wasn't gotten through illegal means. I left my money in the bank and just did/do electronic transfers when I need it through Custom House.

Congratulations, and have a safe trip!

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.