idealistix

Do I need to renew my social security card?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I was living in the US from 2005 to 2008, and have an SSN that was issued in 2005. I went to India in early 2008 and returned to the US in October 2008 on a K-1 visa.

My question is: do I have to apply for a new social security card, or can I continue using my existing card?

I do not want to change my SSN because I don't want to lose my credit history.

10 Oct - Arrived in the US on K-1 visa

12 Oct - Legally married! We'll have the ceremony and the reception in Spring '09.

18 Oct - Visited civil surgeon for vaccination records

29 Oct - Mailed I-485 packet to USCIS Chicago lockbox

31 Oct - Packet received by USCIS [Day 1]

06 Nov - NOAs for I-485, I-765 and I-131

14 Nov - Biometrics appointment notice date

19 Nov - I-485 application transferred to CSC

04 Dec - Biometrics appointment [Day 35]

05 Dec - I-485 and I-765 touched [probably attached biometrics info to my records]

05 Jan - EAD card production ordered and AP approval notice sent! Received e-mails from CRIS. [Day 67]

12 Jan - Received EAD card and AP documents. [Day 74]

13 Mar - Received RFE from CSC for I-865 and "missing" medical forms

31 Mar - Response to RFE sent to CSC

23 Apr - I-485 approved! Received e-mail from CRIS. [Day 175]

25 Apr - Received green card, which is not green at all! Done with USCIS for 21 months! [Day 177]

01 Feb - Apply to remove conditions on the temporary permanent resident card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A Social Security number stays with you for life. You do not need to apply for another one.

You do need to inform the SSA office when you become a U.S. citizen (if you decide to go for citizenship).

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
I was living in the US from 2005 to 2008, and have an SSN that was issued in 2005. I went to India in early 2008 and returned to the US in October 2008 on a K-1 visa.

My question is: do I have to apply for a new social security card, or can I continue using my existing card?

Social security office will not issue another number just because you dont want to lose credit history. Your SSC never expires, its one time deal and you get it forever no matter what your status changes here in us. Even if you become citizen of us you dont have to notify social security office about your status.

Good luck!

U.S. Passport

xx-xx-2012: Passport application sent

I-130 petition for Sibling

07-19-2012: Sent I-130 via Priority mail

07-23-2012: I-130 received by PHX lbx (forwarded to california)

07-23-2012: Priority date

07-30-2012: I-797 receipt received

1. CR1 [Completed: 2009/Total Days: 325]

2. ROC [Completed: 2011/Total Days: 222]

3. CITIZENSHIP [Completed: 2012/Total Days: 125]

4. US PASSPORT [Completed: 2012/Total Days: ]

Social security office will not issue another number just because you dont want to lose credit history. Your SSC never expires, its one time deal and you get it forever no matter what your status changes here in us. Even if you become citizen of us you dont have to notify social security office about your status.

Good luck!

Even if you become citizen of us you dont have to notify social security office about your status.

That is false. If you become a U.S. citizen your SSN will not change, but they must be notified of your status change. Same can be said for someone who manages to get a SSN without being a permanent resident: if their status changes their status must be updated...

Filed: Timeline
Even if you become citizen of us you dont have to notify social security office about your status.

That is false. If you become a U.S. citizen your SSN will not change, but they must be notified of your status change. Same can be said for someone who manages to get a SSN without being a permanent resident: if their status changes their status must be updated...

There is no requirement to inform SSA when you become a permanant resident or U.S. citizen. It's a good idea to do it to get the unresticted SSN card or establish U.S. citizenship on the SSN record, but nothing requires you to do it.

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I came to the US on a K3 visa July of 2008. January 2009 i recieved my SSN/Card, then in February i received my green card. The SSN that i have is "valid for work purposes only with DHS authorization". Now that i am a permanent resident do i need to update this status change anywhere? Social Security Administration / Immigration? If so, where and what is the best number to call? I spoke with a lady as the SSA but she said to call immigration and was not very helpful at all!

I would appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Carly & Andrew

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I came to the US on a K3 visa July of 2008. January 2009 i recieved my SSN/Card, then in February i received my green card. The SSN that i have is "valid for work purposes only with DHS authorization". Now that i am a permanent resident do i need to update this status change anywhere? Social Security Administration / Immigration? If so, where and what is the best number to call? I spoke with a lady as the SSA but she said to call immigration and was not very helpful at all!

I would appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Carly & Andrew

Take your permanent resident card to the nearest SS office and have the wording removed. it will be considered an unrestricted card therefore no Work authorazation needed. This confuses some HR people :D

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Greetings, good people!

I got my SSC when I moved to California, back in 1992. I needed it to transfer my Florida driver license and it reads "not valid for employment."

Since that day I have never looked at the card again, let alone talk to the SS administration. I have, however, filed income tax returns and paid taxes since 1992, always as a self-employed, so I never violated the terms of the card.

The way I see it, somebody who NEEDS to show the card for work (or school) purposes, might want to exchange it. For the rest of us it's easy to show legal presence and permission to work by flashing the GC or the US Passport.

I don't see any requirement or even merit to exchange the card or contact the SS administration.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline
Greetings, good people!

I got my SSC when I moved to California, back in 1992. I needed it to transfer my Florida driver license and it reads "not valid for employment."

Since that day I have never looked at the card again, let alone talk to the SS administration. I have, however, filed income tax returns and paid taxes since 1992, always as a self-employed, so I never violated the terms of the card.

The way I see it, somebody who NEEDS to show the card for work (or school) purposes, might want to exchange it. For the rest of us it's easy to show legal presence and permission to work by flashing the GC or the US Passport.

I don't see any requirement or even merit to exchange the card or contact the SS administration.

If you have a card that has "not valid for employment" and you get authorization to work you most definitely want to get one of the other two types of cards before working.

8 U.S.C. Section 1360©(2) (INA) requires SSA disclose to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services the name and address of the alien, the name and address of the person reporting the earnings, and the amount of earnings, of an aliens having earnings posted to an SSN issued for non-work purposes.

If you are eligible for the unrestricted card and have one of the two types of restricted cards I suggest that you do it. Having an unrestricted card will cause less hassles, since a lot of people don't understand that the restriction is only there to keep you from using the card as a work authorization document. They think it's a temporary number or that you are only here temporally.

Edited by I Quit

• 9 years later...
Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Hey guys i have question 

i was in the US, NYC in 2012. I was an employer in statute of liberty for 6 months. Then i traveled to Malasyia. And sadly i lost my social security card.

and now I’m willing to go back to the US. 

Is the social security number helpful when i go to the Embasy for the visa interview 

and if yes. How can i find my social security number 

I'm syrian bay the way 

and what is the best or easiest visa for my case. 

Thanks 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.