rjk_usa27

N400 – Where to file if my spouse and I are living in different states?

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
There's nothing in the OP's post that suggests any fraud or wrongdoing.

:rofl:

Application for Naturalization

11/14/08 - sent off N-400 to Vermont Service Center

11/18/08 - NOA stating app sent to National Benefits Center

11/24/08 - NOA giving fingerprinting appointment

12/18/08 - fingerprinting appointment

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

You seriously can't see any hint of fraud whatsoever?

Hi, I am a naturalized U.S Citizen, happily married for close to 4 years with a beautiful child. My wife has been a green card holder for 3 years and wants to apply for her citizenship. 6 months ago she moved to California because she got into pharmacy school while I stayed in Florida because of work. I visit her once a month and she comes down to Florida during breaks. After she is done with school, she will move back to Florida.

Translated into what an IO will hear: Hi, I'm a naturalized U.S Citizen, married for convenience to a friend of mine from India - her parents paid me to do it. My wife has been a green card holder for 3 years because of our sham marriage and now she wants to apply for citizenship as soon as possible so she doesn't get kicked out of the country when we divorce a week after she is naturalized. 6 months ago she moved to California because she really didn't give a damn about me or our marriage and just wants to get ahead in her own independent life. I stayed in Florida because I don't care about her either, and I'm just doing it for the money. I visit her to let her see the kid once in a while - neither of us really wanted the baby but we got drunk one evening a while back and, well, one thing led to another, even though we said we wouldn't. She visits the kid during vacations, and I guess the kid is good for making our relationship look official. After she's done with school, she'll move back to Florida, but only because of the child, not because of "us". I've already found someone else who I see while she's away, which is why I rarely visit.

You seriously can't sense a hint of fraud from the OP's statement?

Application for Naturalization

11/14/08 - sent off N-400 to Vermont Service Center

11/18/08 - NOA stating app sent to National Benefits Center

11/24/08 - NOA giving fingerprinting appointment

12/18/08 - fingerprinting appointment

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I am a naturalized U.S Citizen, happily married for close to 4 years with a beautiful child. My wife has been a green card holder for 3 years and wants to apply for her citizenship. 6 months ago she moved to California because she got into pharmacy school while I stayed in Florida because of work. I visit her once a month and she comes down to Florida during breaks. After she is done with school, she will move back to Florida.

Translated into what an IO will hear: Hi, I'm a naturalized U.S Citizen, married for convenience to a friend of mine from India - her parents paid me to do it. My wife has been a green card holder for 3 years because of our sham marriage and now she wants to apply for citizenship as soon as possible so she doesn't get kicked out of the country when we divorce a week after she is naturalized. 6 months ago she moved to California because she really didn't give a damn about me or our marriage and just wants to get ahead in her own independent life. I stayed in Florida because I don't care about her either, and I'm just doing it for the money. I visit her to let her see the kid once in a while - neither of us really wanted the baby but we got drunk one evening a while back and, well, one thing led to another, even though we said we wouldn't. She visits the kid during vacations, and I guess the kid is good for making our relationship look official. After she's done with school, she'll move back to Florida, but only because of the child, not because of "us". I've already found someone else who I see while she's away, which is why I rarely visit.

Hmm, that's a stretch. If all IOs saw what you see, no-one would ever get approved :)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Hmm, that's a stretch. If all IOs saw what you see, no-one would ever get approved :)

Sometimes it happened that way.

That's why a lot of answers are "YMMV".

Depending on USCIS adjudicator you have, it can be very different.

USCIS doesn't need solid proof.

They can suspect any thing, and if interviewee couldn't prove the other way, it may be denied, and/or revoked green card.

In common sense, nobody wants to visit married couple around 2:00am in the morning.

That's etiquette and courtesey...

But in USCIS viewpoint, it is random checking for potential immigration fraud.

That's why a lot of cases I just recommend to make the case as common as possible.

Don't try to make your case suspicious.

Make it straight case if possible.

If you have nasty interview officer, you may end up with disaster.

Most of people won't have much problem.

But you don't want to be 0.00001% case for yourself.

For OP's case, let's wait for a couple of years, so she have clear, straight case.

If she got the greencard through marriage, sometimes it doesn't matter whether you file after 3 year or 5 year.

They can still check bona-fide marriage thing for potential immigration fraud.

It really depends on USCIS adjudicator, and more preciously on the luck of the day.

If he/she has bad temper from morning or something like that, it may be different, too.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If she got the greencard through marriage, sometimes it doesn't matter whether you file after 3 year or 5 year.

They can still check bona-fide marriage thing for potential immigration fraud.

Of course it matters. If you got your greencard through marriage and you're no longer

married, what exactly are they going to check?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.