Sign in to follow this  
supranatural

Advance Parole - how much time out of the US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife just got her AP and she misses her family a lot so we are planning for her to go back and visit. Originally she planned to go end of this month (Jan) and come back in March, then go back for a couple of weeks in May for her annual family hike. I proposed that maybe she should just stay from Jan through May since the original idea would have her coming back Mid March and 5 weeks later flying out again. My main concern is spending large chunks of time outside the US - will this negatively impact her AOS application? She also plans to go back for a couple of weeks at the end of the summer when her family goes to the shore for their annual summer vacation also.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that other than to say that once you get the greencard you can leave for up to one year (or up to two if you have an extension) but even then coming back in the US is at the discretion of immigration officers who could just see your return as a way to keep a greencard and that you and your Mrs have no intention of living in the US permanently.

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

You didn't say when filed for AOS or if it was transferred to CSC. It would help if you had a timeline beyond your K1 info.

For AOS you may have an interview to attend together during the period from Jan-May. They will also evaluate you as a legitimate couple. If she's a newlywed who leaves her hubby for 5 months, it doesn't look that good. That's all I can think of that you should consider. ..can you convince them at the interview that your marriage is genuine with that long of an absence. I can understand that she misses her family, but just be ready for an interview unless you've been transferred to CSC.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You didn't say when filed for AOS or if it was transferred to CSC. It would help if you had a timeline beyond your K1 info.

For AOS you may have an interview to attend together during the period from Jan-May. They will also evaluate you as a legitimate couple. If she's a newlywed who leaves her hubby for 5 months, it doesn't look that good. That's all I can think of that you should consider. ..can you convince them at the interview that your marriage is genuine with that long of an absence. I can understand that she misses her family, but just be ready for an interview unless you've been transferred to CSC.

Very good point(s); I'd be hesitant to make travel plans without knowing if/when an interview would be scheduled. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

AOS was applied for about Oct. 16. Date of NOA1 is Oct. 21. Fingerprinting done 11-14. What kind of notice do you normally get for an interview? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? I thought that most of the time there wasn't an interview, unless things have changed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.