Jump to content

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru

My husband, who has a child back in Peru from a previous relationship, has his AOS interview in a couple of weeks. One of the things listed on the letter for him to bring is "Birth certificates for all children of this marriage, and custody papers for your children and for your spouses children not living with you". Is this stating that we need to bring something from his ex-girlfriend, with whom his son lives? They never went through any kind of official proceedings, but they both agree that his son lives with her for now. If this is indeed something we need to bring, what exactly does it need to be? Can it just be a statement from her or does it need to be something more official? The interview is drawing near and there isn't much time. This isn't something we've ever been asked for before. Can anyone offer insight?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia

As far as the Custody papers we were never asked for any type of papers during our interview, and I also petitoned the kids who came 6 months later. It is a standard letter, I would bring the birth certificate in case but as far as a Custody paper this was never brought up in our AOS interview and he has 3 sons and I have a daughter.

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely bring the birth certificate and just to be safe, your husband and the ex-girlfriend could each write a letter stating that there were no official proceedings, but custody is agreed on between them. Then if they ask for custody papers, you have some evidence of what you're telling them.

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.


April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received


My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...