Ken1

Applying for K-1, Pregnant Fiancée, What if my baby is born abroad?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Hi it took me about 8 weeks to get my Son his US passport the had us take a DNA test because I waited almost 2 years to report his birth to the US embassy in Guyana I reported his birth 09/08 did DNA 10/08 receivd US pasport early November 2008

My Journey K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Guyana

I-129F Sent : 2008-07-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-01-02

NVC Received : 2009-01-09

NVC Left : 2009-02-24

Consulate Received : unknown

Packet 3 Received : 03/05/09

Packet 3 Sent : 03/09/09

Packet 4 Received : 03/17/09

Interview Date : 03/30/09

Visa Received : 03/31/09

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
From my research about CRBA, you will need a official birth cirtficate and depending on your wifes country that can take a few months and then you can file. It *could* add up to 6 months to the waiting process.

Yes, a birth certificate is part of the CRBA filing, so that will need be obtained before filing. It can take from days to months to obtain depending on the jurisdiction.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Wow Ano!!! What a great list!!! According to some of the info you have gotten here, perhaps we can fly a week or two later than I thought. Though not ideal, it gives us a little bit more of a window to work with (fingers crossed for NOA2 soon!!). Whatever we do, it will only be with the consent of our obstetrician.

Pushbrk: what is CRBA?

Thanks Everyone!

Hi Ken,

I am a GC holder and went back home to thePhilippines to give birth last May 2008. My son was a US citizen even born there and the CRBA only took less than 3 weeks from the day i sent the application.

Hi Everyone,

Happy 2009! Hope for a speedier USCIS this year!!! And much health and happiness for all.

I'm applying for a K-1 visa for my fiancée who is a Brazilian citizen. She is currently in Brazil and I'm in the US (been making many trips to Brazil!!!) She is pregnant (F)(L)(F)(L) , and while we are still praying that the visa comes through while she can fly, we are getting down to the wire and I am now wondering about practical details should our baby be born in Brazil.

I have heard that as I am the father, the baby will be given US Citizenship, but I am wondering a number of things:

1) Do I just have to fill out some paperwork saying I am the father, or do I need to prove I am the father with a DNA test?

2) How long would it take for us to get proof of US citizenship for our baby?

3) Do we need a passport for our baby to fly, and if so, how long after the birth will it take to get a US passport for the baby in Brazil?

4) Is there anything else I should know and consider should our baby be born in Brazil that you wise VJ people can enlighten me about?

Thanks and best to all!

Hi Ken,

I gave birth in the Philippines and my son is a US citizen. You just have to file for a CRBA..DNA??if you can prove to them that you are the father of the child..then you won't be required of the test. Embassy did not ask me for the DNA.

From my research about CRBA, you will need a official birth cirtficate and depending on your wifes country that can take a few months and then you can file. It *could* add up to 6 months to the waiting process.

You may be right about the birth certificate...depending on what country the baby is born. I gave birth in the Philippines..The CRBA process only takes less than 3 weeks including the time i sent my application. The BC only take two weeks using under the table to expedite faster....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.