w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Obama doesn't like Hamas (VJ terror apologists: why do you?)

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

For now, Barack Obama's response to the deteriorating situation in Gaza, where Israeli airstrikes appear to have killed more than 200, is to point out that he doesn't take office for more than three weeks. In a statement, Obama's chief national security spokesperson Brooke Anderson said, “President-elect Obama is closely monitoring global events, including the situation in Gaza, but there is one president at a time."

Obama has made statements about Hamas in the past, and they've been almost unequivocally negative. Would the Obama White House be saying anything much different from what current White House spokesperson Gordon Johndroe said today, which is that the Bush administration holds Hamas responsible for breaking a cease-fire and urges the Israelis to avoid civilian casualties?

Back in July -- when there was much (groundless) Democratic worry about Obama's supposed problem with Jewish voters -- the presidential candidate visited Israel. He met with Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, President Shimon Peres and a boy who lost a leg to a Palestinian rocket attack.

In Sderot, a city near Gaza hit by many Palestinian rockets, Obama was asked whether he would negotiate with Hamas. "I don't think any country would find it acceptable to have missiles raining down on the heads of their citizens," he said. "The first job of any nation state is to protect its citizens. And so I can assure you that if -- I don't even care if I was a politician -- if somebody was sending rockets into my house where my two daughters sleep at night, I'm going to do everything in my power to stop that. And I would expect Israelis to do the same thing."

Obama had sounded the same theme four months earlier. In March, Obama said, "The violence in Gaza is the result of Hamas's decision to launch rocket attacks on Israeli civilians, and Israel has a right to defend itself." In fact, he also said something that sounds nearly identical to what Bush spokesperson Johndroe said today about civilian casualties. Said Obama, "I remain very concerned about the fate of civilians and urge Israel to do all it can to avoid civilian deaths and to keep its focus on Hamas, which bears responsibility for these events."

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/?la...08/12/27/hamas/

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Personally I think Hamas sucks and should be wiped off the face of the Earth. Killing civilians in the process is unacceptable though. Israel is out of control and out of line with their actions today.

Personally I think Hamas sucks and should be wiped off the face of the Earth. Killing civilians in the process is unacceptable though. Israel is out of control and out of line with their actions today.

This is how wars are waged.

Timeline

The old collateral damage argument huh?

The old collateral damage argument huh?

It's as old as war is.

The issues between Israel and Palestine will not be resolved in our lifetime. 200+ people were killed in Palestine and it barely made headline news.

The Mumbai attacks on the other hand, gobbled up 3-5 days of Prime Time News. Why is that?

I don't think so A..J..

It's more like, this shite in the Gaza Strip has been going on forever and people have become immune. Is that the right response? He11 no, but it is true.

Edited by William33

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes and Yes.

The issues between Israel and Palestine will not be resolved in our lifetime. 200+ people were killed in Palestine and it barely made headline news.

The Mumbai attacks on the other hand, gobbled up 3-5 days of Prime Time News. Why is that?

Certainly we can blame it on the liberal American media being in bed with someone.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

So should Israel just launch unguided missiles at the Gaza strip in retaliation?

Wait.... they have the ability to guide their munitions, and they did.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

So should Israel just launch unguided missiles at the Gaza strip in retaliation?

Wait.... they have the ability to guide their munitions, and they did.

Thanks for pointing that out. It actually makes it worse IMHO.

I must have missed something here. Nowhere in the Alex Koppelman blog on salon.com did I see any mention of the Bush administration's benign neglect and mishandling of the Palestine / Israel issues for the past eight years. There was not even a word from the President of the United States of America regarding the current crisis in Gaza. Maybe we should start with a chat about the current administration's support for the elections which brought Hamas into power in the first place. Then, maybe we could talk about that pesky wall.

Context anyone?

The whole thing is about land, the religious angle is just the side show.

We are more vested in India than we are in Gaza. But the problems between Israel and the Palestinians has been going on for decades, its not really new or news.

keTiiDCjGVo

We are more vested in India than we are in Gaza. But the problems between Israel and the Palestinians has been going on for decades, its not really new or news.

The bold type captures my point exactly. To address the rest, the United States is more deeply vested with Israel than India. Who gets more military training, arms, planes; and intelligence cooperation from the US?

Answer: Israel.

Agreed, some of this goes to India, but on a much smaller scale.

My perspective on what should be happening is different, but the facts remain clear.

Edited by William33

The bold type captures my point exactly. To address the rest, the United States is more deeply vested with Israel than India. Who gets more military training, arms, planes; and intelligence cooperation from the US?

Answer: Israel.

Agreed, some of this goes to India, but on a much smaller scale.

My perspective on this is different, but the facts remain clear.

I meant economically. US companies have more investments in India than Israel. But militarily you are correct.

keTiiDCjGVo