19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
As of right now things are not too bad over there. I am leaving for India on Tuesday to go see my sweet man and visit his family. I have talked to fiancée about the situation over there and he says as long as we stay out of certain areas things will be fine. Security has been heightened and I am not planning to go to any tourist spots so for the most part it should be safe to travel. No matter where you go these days there is always a risk of something happening. Also the meeting of his family is very important not just so that he can come here with their permission but also so you can start building a relationship with them. Indian families are very close knit and there is usually some form of family close by even if it cousins or aunts and uncles. They are just concerned about their son.

When I had talked to several lawyers before we filed for the K-1 and they had said that it is very difficult to prove a relationship and intent to marry if you have not met in person. So in July I got my visa and got my butt over there. Even in this day and age of the internet you can document all your phone conversations and chat sessions but it still probably not be enough to prove the relationship. I would say to plan a trip over there and watch the advisories. Get a plane ticket that can be changed or you can get a refund on if you need to cancel. Talk to him about the situation over there and ask his and his families opinion if it is safe or not for you to visit. Worse case scenario is you have to change or cancel your trip and if you get a plane ticket that can be changed or canceled then you have not lost any money.

Good Luck :)

Thanks for the idea. The problem with us is that he lives in a hot zone. He's right in the middle of a tourist destination and right along the border with Pakistan. Maybe I'm just fighting a losing battle. I'm going to check into the plan ticket options. I've never flown but I've purchased plane tickets for others before and they all said non-refundable. I didn't know you could get tickets that were anything different than that. Thank you.

Charles: Thanks for the advice, but thankfully he doesn't snore. He's fallen asleep on the phone enough for me to know that lol. And as for bad breath, there are always breath mints. I'm not trying to shortcut the system, I'm merely concerned that my chance to be with him will be delayed indefinitely and there is nothing I can do about it. We've both put a lot of effort and time into this meeting in February and now there is a possibility I won't be allowed to go.

Shaggy: I really don't know how his family situation is going to impact our marriage. I know his mom and dad are accepting of me and I talk to them on the phone as well. There are members of his family he doesn't tell because he says they will start trouble to try to keep him from going. I know this isn't going to be easy at all. The relatives that are most important to him all approve of me and one is even learning English just for me. His parents are really over protective though.

For those of you who left me rude comments, I really don't appreciate it. His culture dictates the kind of close family relations that don't leave someone alone to fend for themselves. His family is concerned for his welfare at all times. I would never ask him to just ditch his family and go running off with me because they are over protective, that would destroy my marriage before it started and I am not a controlling, psychopathic narcissist like that either. And I'm sure no one comes to this website looking for snotty remarks just because you don't agree with something or because it's not what you are used to.

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
As of right now things are not too bad over there. I am leaving for India on Tuesday to go see my sweet man and visit his family. I have talked to fiancée about the situation over there and he says as long as we stay out of certain areas things will be fine. Security has been heightened and I am not planning to go to any tourist spots so for the most part it should be safe to travel. No matter where you go these days there is always a risk of something happening. Also the meeting of his family is very important not just so that he can come here with their permission but also so you can start building a relationship with them. Indian families are very close knit and there is usually some form of family close by even if it cousins or aunts and uncles. They are just concerned about their son.

When I had talked to several lawyers before we filed for the K-1 and they had said that it is very difficult to prove a relationship and intent to marry if you have not met in person. So in July I got my visa and got my butt over there. Even in this day and age of the internet you can document all your phone conversations and chat sessions but it still probably not be enough to prove the relationship. I would say to plan a trip over there and watch the advisories. Get a plane ticket that can be changed or you can get a refund on if you need to cancel. Talk to him about the situation over there and ask his and his families opinion if it is safe or not for you to visit. Worse case scenario is you have to change or cancel your trip and if you get a plane ticket that can be changed or canceled then you have not lost any money.

Thanks for the idea. The problem with us is that he lives in a hot zone. He's right in the middle of a tourist destination and right along the border with Pakistan. Maybe I'm just fighting a losing battle. I'm going to check into the plan ticket options. I've never flown but I've purchased plane tickets for others before and they all said non-refundable. I didn't know you could get tickets that were anything different than that. Thank you.

Plane tickets that are refundable are generally far more expensive. While you're at it, check into the change fees or non-refundable tickets. Changing a non-refundable ticket is usually far more economical than buying a refundable one and if you don't change anything, you've saved a ton. Buying a refundable ticket means you end up with no cost if you don't go but a much higher cost if you do.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Thank you pushbrk, that information was helpful too.

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Charles: Thanks for the advice, but thankfully he doesn't snore. He's fallen asleep on the phone enough for me to know that lol. And as for bad breath, there are always breath mints. I'm not trying to shortcut the system, I'm merely concerned that my chance to be with him will be delayed indefinitely and there is nothing I can do about it. We've both put a lot of effort and time into this meeting in February and now there is a possibility I won't be allowed to go.

Shaggy: I really don't know how his family situation is going to impact our marriage. I know his mom and dad are accepting of me and I talk to them on the phone as well. There are members of his family he doesn't tell because he says they will start trouble to try to keep him from going. I know this isn't going to be easy at all. The relatives that are most important to him all approve of me and one is even learning English just for me. His parents are really over protective though.

For those of you who left me rude comments, I really don't appreciate it. His culture dictates the kind of close family relations that don't leave someone alone to fend for themselves. His family is concerned for his welfare at all times. I would never ask him to just ditch his family and go running off with me because they are over protective, that would destroy my marriage before it started and I am not a controlling, psychopathic narcissist like that either. And I'm sure no one comes to this website looking for snotty remarks just because you don't agree with something or because it's not what you are used to.

If it is very important for his family to meet you and they are near the Pakistan boarder it maybe you can meet them in another part of India. I would say that is a resonable request, after all you are going to be coming from such a long way. Maybe they have family in another part of India that they can stay with so you can visit them in that area.

=)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.