19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

My income is not a problem and I have the money to go see my fiancee. However, I can't get time off from my job until February and in addition to that I have to find someone who can stay with my 3 kids and keep them in school as usual. I'm really worried about all of this. If travel advisories come out and it's no longer safe for me to travel over there, would that be eligible to count as a hardship for not meeting in person? I really don't want to wait however long it takes for the mess to be done with to go see the love of my life. I would love to go ahead and file if something happens and I can't go.

I'm only asking this as a worst case scenario. If something happens and I can't make arrangements for my kids to be taken care of while I'm gone, would that qualify as a hardship for not being able to visit? I really don't anticipate this happening, but I want to know just in case. I would love to say I have family around that can help, but to be honest I only have my dad here and he's disabled (I live with him to help take care of him). I'm just not so sure he can deal with them for too long (and I'm more than willing to shorten my trip to India should that be necessary). Just FYI, my kids are 14, 13, and 6 so it's not like he would be changing diapers and in addition my oldest 2 love to cook and often take the stove away from me lol. The kids are fairly self-sustaining except when it comes to getting up for school and cleaning up their messes. My Fiancee's family would not allow him to travel here as he has no relatives in the states to take care of him. They are extremely over protective of him and do not believe in leaving any family member alone at any time for any reason. So I'm certain they would never put him on a plane to America to marry me, no matter what kind of papers I fill out stating I'm going to marry and support him. Any thoughts or ideas on if this would qualify for hardship are appreciated.

Thank you!

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
My income is not a problem and I have the money to go see my fiancee. However, I can't get time off from my job until February and in addition to that I have to find someone who can stay with my 3 kids and keep them in school as usual. I'm really worried about all of this. If travel advisories come out and it's no longer safe for me to travel over there, would that be eligible to count as a hardship for not meeting in person? I really don't want to wait however long it takes for the mess to be done with to go see the love of my life. I would love to go ahead and file if something happens and I can't go.

I'm only asking this as a worst case scenario. If something happens and I can't make arrangements for my kids to be taken care of while I'm gone, would that qualify as a hardship for not being able to visit? I really don't anticipate this happening, but I want to know just in case. I would love to say I have family around that can help, but to be honest I only have my dad here and he's disabled (I live with him to help take care of him). I'm just not so sure he can deal with them for too long (and I'm more than willing to shorten my trip to India should that be necessary). Just FYI, my kids are 14, 13, and 6 so it's not like he would be changing diapers and in addition my oldest 2 love to cook and often take the stove away from me lol. The kids are fairly self-sustaining except when it comes to getting up for school and cleaning up their messes. My Fiancee's family would not allow him to travel here as he has no relatives in the states to take care of him. They are extremely over protective of him and do not believe in leaving any family member alone at any time for any reason. So I'm certain they would never put him on a plane to America to marry me, no matter what kind of papers I fill out stating I'm going to marry and support him. Any thoughts or ideas on if this would qualify for hardship are appreciated.

Thank you!

If I understand your question you are trying to find a way around the meeting in person in the last two year requirement. It is nearly impossible to get around that requirement. There are rare exceptions for religion but it would have to be very well documented. You are going to have to find some way to meet in person before you file.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I'm filing for the K-1. What I meant was his parents won't let him get on a plane to come here and marry me if they don't meet me in person first. They know we are serious, but they want to make sure I'm the kind of person who would take good care of him. They don't let him travel anywhere alone, not even to visit his family only 40 KM away. I'm not trying to get out of meeting him in person, I'm just worried now since things are getting a little messy over there that we won't get to meet. I do have options for my kids, but as a mom I've gotten used to planning for the worst, sorry if I seemed like I was trying to get out of this. We have an engagement ceremony planned, I have no intention of missing if there is any way I can get there.

Thank you for the meeting in UK suggestion Old Dominion. He does have a brother in Australia and while I know they won't let him go to the UK, maybe they will let him visit his brother and I can meet him there. Then maybe they would even go with him and that could solve this whole problem. You gave me a great idea, again thank you!

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
I'm filing for the K-1. What I meant was his parents won't let him get on a plane to come here and marry me if they don't meet me in person first. They know we are serious, but they want to make sure I'm the kind of person who would take good care of him. They don't let him travel anywhere alone, not even to visit his family only 40 KM away. I'm not trying to get out of meeting him in person, I'm just worried now since things are getting a little messy over there that we won't get to meet. I do have options for my kids, but as a mom I've gotten used to planning for the worst, sorry if I seemed like I was trying to get out of this. We have an engagement ceremony planned, I have no intention of missing if there is any way I can get there.

Thank you for the meeting in UK suggestion Old Dominion. He does have a brother in Australia and while I know they won't let him go to the UK, maybe they will let him visit his brother and I can meet him there. Then maybe they would even go with him and that could solve this whole problem. You gave me a great idea, again thank you!

I realize it is his culture..but is he not an adult???? :wacko::blink::whistle: good luck

1000718m.th.jpg

07/15/08[/font] Sent off I 129F

07/17/08 Arrived and picked up by CSC

07/25/08 NOA-1 FINALLY!!!!

07/31/08 CHECK WAS CASHED!

07/28/08 touched!!

12/08/08 NOA2 FINALLY!

12/13/08 NOA2 received in the mail

12/18/08 Called NVC at (603)334-0700 and talked to a nice lady named Rose. Our case was received on the13th and was sent out to sydney...WE WILL SEE!

12/13/08 NVC received letter and said they sent out to Sydney

12/18/08 received letter in the mail from NVC.

12/19/08 another letter from NVC stating it was shipped out

12/24/08 ARRIVED IN SYDNEY at 10:26 am and signed by tom

12/29/08 CONFIRMED it is at Sydney and Good ol Tom did sign for it LOL THANKS TOM!!

12/29/08 Sydney waiting for paper file from nvc and has it requested

12/31/08 Sydney confirmed through email that the paper file was received

01/05/09 His police checks are done and sent off!!

01/28/09 Kai went to his medicals forgot one of his passport pics and needs two more shots all was good!

2/18/09 medicals ready to be picked

2/20/09 packet 3 sent in

2/26/09 pkt 3 received today takes UP to 10 days

04/07/09 interview....APPROVED!!!!

04/20/09 He flew in ..flight was changed he was 3 hours late BUT HE IS HOME

port of entry took 2 mins!! LOL

04/25/09 WE ARE MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I realize it is his culture..but is he not an adult???? :wacko::blink::whistle: good luck

Not approving of the marriage unless they meet you, that part makes sense to me. They want to know that he's in good hands. But to say that he isn't allowed to go 40 km by himself, yet is ready for a permanent move to be far from a family that it sounds like he's very close to... how is his family situation going to impact your marriage?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think you should be focused on meeting face-to-face rather than looking at alternatives to getting around the system. What if your SO has bad breath or a nasty scratching habit? What if they snore? What if they like to eat peat moss in the middle of the night? Huey Lewis warned us about the "Power of Love". :dance:

Put all your energy and resources towards meeting your SO face-to-face and forget about figuring how to shortcut the system.

I wish you a lifetime of happiness and good luck in the love department.

Charles

I think you should be focused on meeting face-to-face rather than looking at alternatives to getting around the system. What if your SO has bad breath or a nasty scratching habit? What if they snore? What if they like to eat peat moss in the middle of the night? Huey Lewis warned us about the "Power of Love". :dance:

Put all your energy and resources towards meeting your SO face-to-face and forget about figuring how to shortcut the system.

I wish you a lifetime of happiness and good luck in the love department.

Charles

What if they snore?

Just move his body in the bed, and he will stop for a while. Snoring is a breathing problem in men and also women. Bad thing :angry:

Wao, what a protective family, he has.

Yes, I agree get a point where you both can meet face to face and then move with the filling process.

Good Luck!! :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
. So I'm certain they would never put him on a plane to America to marry me, no matter what kind of papers I fill out stating I'm going to marry and support him. Any thoughts or ideas on if this would qualify for hardship are appreciated.

Thank you!

This doesn't qualify as a hardship. If they won't let him get on a plane alone, to marry you, then either they can all come here and marry you or you will have to go there to marry him or go there to meet him and again to accompany him home. Sounds to me like you, in effect, have four to care for now and would be adding a fifth "child" to the mix. Either way, you must meet in person.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

As of right now things are not too bad over there. I am leaving for India on Tuesday to go see my sweet man and visit his family. I have talked to fiancée about the situation over there and he says as long as we stay out of certain areas things will be fine. Security has been heightened and I am not planning to go to any tourist spots so for the most part it should be safe to travel. No matter where you go these days there is always a risk of something happening. Also the meeting of his family is very important not just so that he can come here with their permission but also so you can start building a relationship with them. Indian families are very close knit and there is usually some form of family close by even if it cousins or aunts and uncles. They are just concerned about their son.

When I had talked to several lawyers before we filed for the K-1 and they had said that it is very difficult to prove a relationship and intent to marry if you have not met in person. So in July I got my visa and got my butt over there. Even in this day and age of the internet you can document all your phone conversations and chat sessions but it still probably not be enough to prove the relationship. I would say to plan a trip over there and watch the advisories. Get a plane ticket that can be changed or you can get a refund on if you need to cancel. Talk to him about the situation over there and ask his and his families opinion if it is safe or not for you to visit. Worse case scenario is you have to change or cancel your trip and if you get a plane ticket that can be changed or canceled then you have not lost any money.

Good Luck :)

=)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good Luck on your trip and meeting the parents I hope all goes well.

Radzney and Steven

first started talking online 2005

Flew to Davao May 2008

arrived May 17 2008 and we were engaged

Returned to USA June 1 2008

06/11/2008 sent in packet

06/16/2008 recieved NOA1

06/18/2008 bank shows check cleared

07/09/2008 touched

10/30/2008 approved Noa2

10/31/2008 touched

11/06/2008 hard copy of Noa2 arrived in mail

11/07/2008 case left NVC for Manila embassy

12/15/2008 passed medical yeppi

12/19/2008 set for interview

12/19/2008 approved at interview

12/30/2008 Visa Delievered

01/14/2009 Flight to USA

01/14/2009 POE SFO

02/13/2009 Purchased Marriage License

02/18/2009 Married

03/31/2009 Filed AOS, EAD,AP

04/09/2009 Check cashed for AOS

04/09/2009 NOA for AOS EAD and AP

04/27/2009 Biometrics

05/11/2009 Adjustment of Status Approval Notice

06/06/2009 Green Card Received

08/24/2009 First day at job

It sounds like your bf needs to grow a pair of testies.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.