Amby

at least 170 killed in israeli air attacks on gaza

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

<H1 _extended="true">GAZA CITY (CNN) -- Israeli airstrikes pounded targets in Gaza on Saturday, killing at least 170 people, Palestinian medical sources said. An Israeli army spokeswoman said her country is ready to continue the attacks "as long as it takes."

Palestinian medical sources said 110 people were hospitalized in Gaza in serious to critical condition. Earlier Saturday, the sources said at least 250 people had been wounded in the raids.

The militant group Hamas, which controls the government in Gaza, vowed to retaliate.

The strikes followed several days of rocket attacks from Gaza into Israel.

Hamas police stations were hit, killing many senior police commanders, a reporter in Gaza said.

Maj. Gen. Tawfeeq Al-Jaber, a senior commander in the Hamas police force, was killed, as was Ismail Jabari, who headed the special police force in Gaza, Palestinian sources said.

Israeli Maj. Avital Leibovich told CNN the military began the attacks "in order to preserve the security situation in Israel."

"We are prepared for any type of scenario right now. We have our own operation and assessments as we go along, and we are ready to continue this operation as long as it takes," Leibovich said by phone from Tel Aviv. video.gif Watch panicked Palestinians try to help the wounded »

Not long after Hamas called for retribution, an Israeli woman was killed when a rocket fired from Gaza hit a house in Netivot, about six miles east of Gaza, Israeli police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said. Hamas acknowledged firing the rocket.

Rosenfeld said at least 15 missiles from Gaza had landed in Israel by late afternoon.

The Israeli Defense Ministry issued a statement saying Prime Minister Ehud Olmert ordered the military into action based on a decision by the Cabinet.

"The action will continue and will widen as much as is demanded according to the evaluation of the situation by the high command of the army," the statement said.

Palestinian legislator Hanan Ashrawi, speaking from Ramallah in the West Bank, accused Israel of ignoring the terms of the tenuous six-month cease-fire that expired a week ago.

"This is certainly a very cruel escalation, a relentless bombardment of a captive civilian population that has already been under siege for months, that has been deprived of basic requirements like food and medicines and fuel and power," she said. video.gif Watch Ashrawi condemn the airstrikes »

The Arab League scheduled an emergency meeting in Cairo, Egypt, at 7 p.m. (noon ET) Sunday to discuss the outbreak of violence.

White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe called on Hamas to cease its rocket attacks on Israel and urged Israel "to avoid civilian casualties as it targets Hamas in Gaza."

A statement from the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said Israeli aircraft attacked "a series of Hamas targets and infrastructure facilities."

"The Air Force activity came as a result of the continuation of terror activity by Hamas terror organization from the Gaza Strip, and the duration of rocket launching and targeting Israeli civilians," the IDF statement said.

Video showed severely wounded people being loaded into cars and driven to hospitals.

Inside one Gaza hospital, doctors appeared overwhelmed; the floors were covered with wounded men and some children.

"Many killed and many injured," a Gaza-based reporter said. "People are running in the streets."

The Egyptian government sent 20 ambulances, along with medical personnel, to Rafah at its border with Gaza to help with the wounded, an Egyptian official said.

The reporter, who is not being named for safety reasons, said the attacks were the biggest he had seen in his decades in Gaza.

The IDF said the targets "include Hamas terror operatives that operated from the organization's headquarters, training camps and weaponry storage warehouses."

The shaky six-month truce between the Hamas government in Gaza and Israel expired a week ago. Under the Egyptian-brokered deal, Hamas agreed to end militant attacks on Israel from Gaza, and Israel agreed to halt raids inside the territory and ease its blockade on humanitarian goods.

Israel on Friday opened three border crossings for the first time in 10 days to allow food, medical supplies and other humanitarian goods into Gaza, but Palestinian rocket attacks continued.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/27/...ikes/index.html

</H1>

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

the cycle continues....

Governments' whose sole purpose is to destroy others can't be expected to have the basic needs of their populace in thought. I feel for the young men, women and children who grow up with hate and poverty when they dont realize it is their own governing body shackling them.

This is my reaction

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
The militant group Hamas, which controls the government in Gaza, vowed to retaliate.

Uh...the Israeli air attacks are the retaliation. Hamas fired missles at Israel, Israel responded.

Edited by Scott & Lai

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Umm... just gotta love these 'retaliatory actions.' Because there is no way in hell the other side will ever seek revenge. Of course not.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Umm... just gotta love these 'retaliatory actions.' Because there is no way in hell the other side will ever seek revenge. Of course not.

If Hamas really doesn't want Israeli attacks, there's a simple solution: STOP LAUNCHING MISSLES AT ISRAEL! Did Hamas really believe that Israel wouldn't respond to their attacks? Was Israel supposed to just bend over and take it?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Timeline

If Hamas really doesn't want Israeli attacks, there's a simple solution: STOP LAUNCHING MISSLES AT ISRAEL! Did Hamas really believe that Israel wouldn't respond to their attacks? Was Israel supposed to just bend over and take it?

Certainly- they can stop. And Israeli military decisions can also be made to not create more hatred towards it in retaliations against retaliations. You know, when you kill upwards of 200 people like this.

(CNN) -- Israeli airstrikes pounded targets in Gaza on Saturday, killing at least 170 people, Palestinian medical sources said. An Israeli army spokeswoman said her country is ready to continue the attacks "as long as it takes."

Palestinian medical sources said 110 people were hospitalized in Gaza in serious to critical condition. Earlier Saturday, the sources said at least 250 people had been wounded in the raids.

Hamas police stations were hit, killing many senior police commanders, a reporter in Gaza said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/27/...ikes/index.html

The terrorist organization Hamas broke the truce and now they'll pay.

Gooooo Israel!!!!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Exactly. You all know (even those in denial) that Hamas wished they could kill many many more innocents with their missiles. But savages aren't known for their technical ability.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Exactly. You all know (even those in denial) that Hamas wished they could kill many many more innocents with their missiles. But savages aren't known for their technical ability.

What's the latest civilian body count out of this incident?

So much for that 'technical ability' argument.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Did Israel really believe that Hamas wouldn't respond to starving their people in Gaza? Was Gaza supposed to just bend over and take it?

http://www.btselem.org/english/statistics/Casualties.asp

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
earlier I saw that it's now 192 people

Just saw its more than 200 now. So many terrorists indeed.