panamania79

The strange sex habits of spiders

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

Spiders are bizarre sex freaks.

But it’s all harmless fun ... no wait, actually it’s very harmful. Girl kills guy or guy kills girl — there’s shrill crying, plugged orifices, torn-off genitals, eaten body parts, and psychedelic rituals.

And you thought humans had crazy sex lives? Mounting evidence in recent years shows just how crazy spider sex is.

For example, in the case of redback spiders (Latrodectus hasselti), courtship tends to last an average of 50 minutes when males are competing head-to-head for mating rights and 4.5 hours for single, non-competing males. It seems as if the larger male redbacks would always be favored, but scientists recently discovered that the smaller ones actually get more action than their bigger counterparts because they mature faster and are quicker on their feet.

Meanwhile, mature jumping spiders sport crucial glowing patches on their bodies to lure in mates, as if dressed for a rave. The males exhibit UV-reflecting scales that glow in bright white and green, and the females’ have front appendages that similarly glow in a bright green hue.

Turns out, females and males will ignore each other if not seen under full-spectrum light, suggesting that both partners must show their glowing bodies to prove their health before courtship can proceed.

Andrew C. Mason

In the case of redback spiders, courtship tends to last an average of 50 minutes when males are competing head-to-head for mating rights and 4.5 hours for single, non-competing males.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiders reproduce sexually, however the male's sperm is not inserted into the female's body from within the male's genitals. Rather an intermediate stage takes place. Males ejaculate onto ready-made small sperm webs and then transfer their sperm to syringe-like structures on the tips of their front appendages, or palps. As courtship progresses for the male jumping spider, he will arch his body, vibrate his palps and slink on tiptoe toward the female. If courtship is successful, the male injects his sperm from his palps into the female’s genital opening, known as the epigyne, on the underside of her abdomen.

In the Tidarren argo species, the male will amputate his own palp before he matures to improve his own mobility, only to have his remaining palp torn off by his mate, which stays attached to her epigyne for about four hours, independently transferring sperm into one of her seminal receptacles.

Female spiders are able to store sperm from different males inside their bodies and can choose which male gets to fertilize her eggs. As a result, the males in two different spider species treat their respective female partners in completely different ways:

Matthew L.M. Lim and Daiqin Li

Mature jumping spiders sport glowing patches on their bodies to lure in mates, as if dressed for a rave.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A male orb-web (Argiope bruennichi) spider will actually break off the tip of his own genitals and leave his "manhood" in the female’s sexual orifice, effectively blocking future male’s efforts to inseminate the female. When her sex hole is blocked, copulation typically lasts for only eight seconds with subsequent males. Normally, male spiders copulate for twice as long, though redbacks can last as long as 31 minutes (and if that seems impressive, check out how a bite from the Brazilian wandering spider can stimulate an hours-long erection).

The female Physoculus globusus spider even emits high-frequency squeaks to guide males while mating. Called stridulations, these shrill cries respond to the rhythmic squeezing actions of the male’s genitalia from inside the female during sex. The female squeaks to warn her mate if it squeezes too hard or too long — to which he’ll eagerly respond to raise his chances that his sperm will be selected.

Once a session of quality lovemaking ends, the female of many species will often kill and eat the male after sex. Turns out it’s all about size: small male spiders are easier to catch as prey, and big females will eat their puny mates simply because they’re hungry. The size rule holds true in a wide range of spider species: among wolf spiders (Hogna helluo), small males were consumed 80 percent of the time by their female lovers.

Click for related content

Ultraviolet glow lights up spider sex

Scientists trace the roots of spider webs

Spider-Mammals on the horizon

And in blood-drinking jumping spiders

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline
Oh...so you're not supposed to rip off the guy's genitals and then kill him? Uh oh. :(

:no::rofl:

The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Turns out it’s all about size: small male spiders are easier to catch as prey, and big females will eat their puny mates simply because they’re hungry.

cold blooded girl! :lol:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Turns out it’s all about size: small male spiders are easier to catch as prey, and big females will eat their puny mates simply because they’re hungry.

Saludos,

Caro

on the other hand, there's no requests for alimony either.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Saludos,

Caro

Nothing's perfect :whistle:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
I'm more into goats and sheep than spiders.

Over-share! :bonk:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Saludos,

Caro

oh ... the estate ... it suffers ...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Over-share! :bonk:

:yes:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

:unsure: Baaaaaaaaaaa ?

January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:unsure: Baaaaaaaaaaa ?

sheepscrew.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!