Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
This thread is pointless on the "healthy front". You want the best tasting foods? It will cost you in calories.

I think it's pointless because it's comparing things like 3 oz salt block of ham (bleck) to... a whole turkey leg! A turkey leg is a massive chunk of meat and I'd take that massive chunk of meat over a processed slice of salt block/ham any day.

Mashed potatoes or stuffing... get both... or skip both, in terms of actual nutritional value stuffing has more of a variety of vitamins, potatoes... have potassium and starch.

1/2 cup cranberry sauce sounds like a lot to me... it seems unlikely most adults would eat that much even if they like it... and I definitely like the stuff... mushrooms are pretty much an empty food, our bodies don't even digest them really, I'm not sure they actually have any nutritional value... but what can I say, I like them (especially raw!) so I'll eat them.

Olives or mixed nuts... this is another comparison that makes little sense, but given the choice... get both! I like black olives and they are less salty but a few green olives are good too... and nuts... have many health benefits, walnuts are particularly good for you, and contain omega fats which are somewhat hard to get outside of fish. Roasted not salted if you can... but what the heck, a can of plantered honey roasted so damn tasty...

Anyway, I pretty much think all of this advice is bad and is based on a very narrow view. Here's my similar bad advice.

Instead of a chicken pot pie which has 1 serving of 400 calories, you should eat a packet of ramen noodles which is only 200 calories per serving! (And here's the fine print... a single packet of ramen noodles contains 2 servings, so it's the same number of calories... the pot pie actually has a variety of foods in it, including veggetables, it has a lot of nutrtional value... ramen noodles are literally calories and salt, no nutrition, purely calories, a hershies candy bar is actually more nutritious!... of course ramen or a candy bar, both will leave you hungry in a hurry).

I'm all for people eating healthier, but replacing wholesome foods with heavily processed or lower calory but also lacking in nutrtional foods is not a good way to go.

Timeline

Just found this but was too slow to edit my previous post...

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupple...miumsideeff.htm info about chromium, it's the internet so take it with a grain of salt, but I generally think it's far better to get your nutrition from real food than eating pills/supplements.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Who is eating a whole turkey drumstick anyway???

AND, who wants to eat 10 olives of any kind... :wacko:

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Personally I love sushi at Xmas.

Well I love it any time...

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

This thread is pointless on the "healthy front". You want the best tasting foods? It will cost you in calories.
I think it's pointless because it's comparing things like 3 oz salt block of ham (bleck) to... a whole turkey leg! A turkey leg is a massive chunk of meat and I'd take that massive chunk of meat over a processed slice of salt block/ham any day.
Excellent point; last-i-checked 3 oz is about the weight of the meat on one small (such as served in KFC 10-piece order) chicken leg or wing (turkey's is larger, easily 12+ oz).

Mashed potatoes or stuffing... get both... or skip both, in terms of actual nutritional value stuffing has more of a variety of vitamins, potatoes... have potassium and starch.
how about sautéed spuds with peas/blackeyes instead?

Instead of a chicken pot pie which has 1 serving of 400 calories, you should eat a packet of ramen noodles which is only 200 calories per serving! (And here's the fine print... a single packet of ramen noodles contains 2 servings, so it's the same number of calories... the pot pie actually has a variety of foods in it, including veggetables, it has a lot of nutrtional value... ramen noodles are literally calories and salt, no nutrition, purely calories, a hershies candy bar is actually more nutritious!... of course ramen or a candy bar, both will leave you hungry in a hurry).
don't ramen-noodles also have something in excess of GDA of sodium?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
Excellent point; last-i-checked 3 oz is about the weight of the meat on one small (such as served in KFC 10-piece order) chicken leg or wing (turkey's is larger, easily 12+ oz).

how about sautéed spuds with peas/blackeyes instead?

don't ramen-noodles also have something in excess of GDA of sodium?

That's why I said ramen was literally salt and calories... sodium/msg = salt... I don't have a packet of ramen sitting around but I think one packet has something like 52% GDA (the packet says something like 26% but of course you have to remember that's for a single serving and there are two servings in a pack). I had meant to say if you go on the ramen diet you'll eat 3 healthy meals of ramen noodles a day, that'll hit the 1200 calory mark so many women try to aim for (this is actually pretty much the minimum calories a normal woman can survive on if she laid in bed all day doing next to nothing). Obviously you'd get scurvy and a host of issues from it but the point is to mock diets that focus too much on certain numbers like the total calories, or fat grams, etc.

But hey, if you really like ramen noodles and are going to eat them (or you are a starving poor college student)... buy a bag of mixed veggies to mix in with the ramen... I still wouldn't call it health food (except as a joke here) but at least you'd get some nutrition mixed in... and mixed veggies are really cheap... something like $4 for a 5lb bag.

You can eat good tasting foods without having to increase your calories or limit how much you eat... but you have to pay a price one way or another, either in the time it takes to prepare your food, the amount of money it costs (the cheapest foods are pretty much the least healthy in general...).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

AND, who wants to eat 10 olives of any kind... :wacko:

Hey Hey, I resemble that remark, I'm spanish by osmosis :whistle: Cristina's brother and I sat down during the football games on Sunday and ate a quart of olives (aceitunas) me gusta mucho!!!

All done for the next 10 years...

Now more then ever..."and Miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep"