Amby

eat this, not that during the holidays

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Was reading something at the dr office today that had better options for the holidays. Here's some of them...

choose mushroom gravy instead of cranberry sauce

1/2 cup mushroom gravy: 55cal, 2g fat (0 sat fat), 6g carbs, 471mg sodium, 1g fiber, 2g protein

1/2 cup cranberry sauce: 209 cal, 0 fat, 54g carbs, 40mg sodium, 1g fiber, 0g protein

*cranberry sauce would be a health food if it weren't loaded with more than four Tbsp of sugar per half cup

eat sliced ham instead of a turkey drumstick

3oz sliced ham: 139 cal, 7g fat (2g sat fat), 3g carbs, 1109 mg sodium, 1g fiber, 14g protein

1 turkey drumstick: 416 cal, 13g fat (4g sat fat), 0g carbs, 196 mg sodium, 0g fiber, 70g protein

try mashed potatoes instead of stuffing

1 cup mash potato: 237 cal, 9g fat (4g sat fat), 35 carbs, 666mg sodium, 3g fiber, 4g protein

1 cup stuffing: 354 cal, 17g fat (3g sat fat), 43g carbs, 1086mg sodium, 6g fiber, 6g protein

*even if the mash is made with butter and whole milk it's a better bargain...lower in sodium as well

go for the olives instead of the mixed nuts

10 large olives: 51 cal, 5g fat (1g sat fat), 3g carbs, 384mg sodium, 1g fiber, 0g protein

1/4 cup mixed nuts: 219 cal, 20g fat (1g sat fat), 8g carbs, 149mg sodium, 4g fiber, 6g protein

*both of these have healthy fat but olives have 1/4 the calories

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

cranberries are better for you than gravy

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Was reading something at the dr office today that had better options for the holidays. Here's some of them...

1/2 cup mushroom gravy: 55cal, 2g fat (0 sat fat), 6g carbs, 471mg sodium, 1g fiber, 2g protein

1/2 cup cranberry sauce: 209 cal, 0 fat, 54g carbs, 40mg sodium, 1g fiber, 0g protein

*cranberry sauce would be a health food if it weren't loaded with more than four Tbsp of sugar per half cup

3oz sliced ham: 139 cal, 7g fat (2g sat fat), 3g carbs, 1109 mg sodium, 1g fiber, 14g protein

1 turkey drumstick: 416 cal, 13g fat (4g sat fat), 0g carbs, 196 mg sodium, 0g fiber, 70g protein

1 cup mash potato: 237 cal, 9g fat (4g sat fat), 35 carbs, 666mg sodium, 3g fiber, 4g protein

1 cup stuffing: 354 cal, 17g fat (3g sat fat), 43g carbs, 1086mg sodium, 6g fiber, 6g protein

*even if the mash is made with butter and whole milk it's a better bargain...lower in sodium as well

10 large olives: 51 cal, 5g fat (1g sat fat), 3g carbs, 384mg sodium, 1g fiber, 0g protein

1/4 cup mixed nuts: 219 cal, 20g fat (1g sat fat), 8g carbs, 149mg sodium, 4g fiber, 6g protein

Some of this is surprising. I thought I read somewhere that chicken (poultry) thigh meat is better for you than the breast....that it has less fat. :unsure:

deano...

Some of this is surprising. I thought I read somewhere that chicken (poultry) thigh meat is better for you than the breast....that it has less fat. :unsure:

I know turkey breast has no saturated fat and chicken breast does

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I heard that too, Amby.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

deano...

I know turkey breast has no saturated fat and chicken breast does

Ah, ok. I wonder why that is so? I recently read where most of the chicken and beef used in fast food restaurants come from corn fed animals and that it adds to our obesity problems.

Timeline

Thought you might like this, Amber. It was in today's LA Times. :) Sounds interesting:

stuffing_3.jpg

Pumpkin Seed Stuffing with Chorizo

There's more to do with pumpkin than put it in a pie, Test Kitchen manager Noelle Carter found during the Thanksgiving holidays.

The rich flavors of this stuffing -- nutty seeds, sweet corn and cornbread, and smoky, spicy Spanish chorizo -- make this an amazing side dish at any time of year, and with or without turkey. Pumpkin seed oil can be found at well-stocked supermarkets and gourmet cooking stores. Spanish chorizo can be found at many markets, including La Espanola Meats in Harbor City, Spain Restaurant in Los Angeles, and Surfas in Culver City. For a little extra heat, roast two to four jalapenos with the poblanos, then clean, stem, seed and chop them before adding to the stuffing.

Total time: 1 hour, 40 minutes

Servings: 6 to 8

Note: Pumpkin seed oil can be found at well-stocked supermarkets and gourmet cooking stores. Spanish chorizo can be found at La Española Meats in Harbor City, Spain Restaurant in Los Angeles, Surfas in Culver City and select Spanish markets. For a little extra heat, roast 2 to 4 jalapeños with the poblanos, then clean, stem, seed and chop them before adding to the stuffing.

10 cups cubed corn bread, cut into 1-inch pieces

1/4 cup pumpkin seed oil, divided

1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme

1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano

1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided

Freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 cups shelled pumpkin seeds

4 poblano chiles

6 tablespoons ( 3/4 stick) butter, divided

2 tablespoons olive oil

3/4 pound Spanish chorizo, cut crosswise into 1/8 -inch slices

1 1/2 cups corn, from about 2 medium corn cobs

2 onions, cut into 1/2 -inch dice

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/3 cup dry white wine

3/4 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika

2 to 3 cups chicken broth

1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, gently toss the corn bread with 3 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil, the thyme, oregano, one-half teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Spread the cubes in a single layer on a large, foil-lined baking sheet and toast for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden, shaking the pan every 5 minutes for even coloring. Remove from heat and allow to cool, then place in a large bowl.

3. In a medium bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds with the remaining tablespoon pumpkin seed oil, one-fourth teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Place the seeds on a foil-lined sheet and toast until fragrant, puffed and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove and cool, then add to the corn bread.

4. Meanwhile, roast the chiles on the stove top directly over a hot burner until charred on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove to a sealed paper bag to rest until cool enough to peel. Peel the charred skin (do not rinse under water as this will remove flavor). Halve the chiles lengthwise, stem and seed. Cut the halves crosswise into one-eighth inch strips. Set aside.

5. Heat a large heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and the olive oil, then the chorizo and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pan, and add the chorizo to the stuffing mixture.

6. Stir the corn and onions into the pan and season with one-fourth teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is crisp-tender and the onions have softened and are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it is aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in the white wine and cook, scraping any bits of flavoring from the pan, until the white wine has almost evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Cool slightly, then add to the stuffing mixture.

7. Gently toss in the cumin and Spanish paprika, and season the stuffing with one-fourth teaspoon salt, or to taste. Melt the remaining butter and drizzle over the stuffing. Drizzle 2 cups chicken broth over the stuffing and gently toss. Add additional broth as desired.

8. Place the stuffing in a buttered, 13-by-9-inch baking dish or casserole and place in the oven. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the cover and continue to bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is lightly toasted. Remove and serve.

Each of 8 servings: 772 calories; 25 grams protein; 49 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams fiber; 55 grams fat; 18 grams saturated fat; 89 mg. cholesterol; 1,491 mg. sodium.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/...10-recipes.html

True, if you mean pure cranberries, without the sugar typically found in cranberry sauce/glaze.

have you ever tasted cent-percent-pure cranberry juice? :P

For Amby, Steven: skinless chicken breast (also true of turkey, but that will never be as flavourful as chicken) is low in saturated fat

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
For Amby, Steven: skinless chicken breast (also true of turkey, but that will never be as flavourful as chicken) is low in saturated fat

Ah, ok. :thumbs: That makes sense.

BTW...we frequent this local Tandori restaurant and last night, the Chicken Curry was so spicy, sweat was running down my back. It was good, but oh my, I've never tried it that spicy before. :)

Edited by Mister Fancypants

How about roast leg of lamb Au jus? This must be healthy, because it tastes so good!

Seriously though, gravy calories are factored by the amount of fat, which is usually huge in most homes (turkey drippings). Most people don't know how to make a mushroom gravy with fatless stock. Thus, the numbers are seriously skewed.

Ham? How much fat is attached to that slab?

This thread is pointless on the "healthy front". You want the best tasting foods? It will cost you in calories.

This thread is pointless on the "healthy front". You want the best tasting foods? It will cost you in calories.
Basically, better to "invest" in chromium picolinate during that time, taking it half-hour before each meal.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Basically, better to "invest" in chromium picolinate during that time, taking it half-hour before each meal.

####### does the chromium do? i've always wondered but never looked it up :P